• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drink water to keep hydrated

howardd5

I have to remind myself to drink , drink regularly. Some people need to drink more than others . I am one that need a lot of water ‘cause I sweat. It’s important to have a plan and stick close to it. If you wait till you are really thirsty you have lost some already. A good plan can be take three sips every 30 min. If you turn up your bottle and guzzle half a liter your body can’t absorb that much at one time and you’ll just urinate it out . Your body can only absorb 10% of what you drink at any one time . What works for you ??

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I don't drink enough and have suffered for it with heat injuries even on the Camino. I don't like straws or tubes as with a Camelback (a weird thing, I know) and prefer to sip from a cup or bottle. I carry a small bottle on my pack strap with a Chums bottle carrier and refill it often or change it if I run out if water before.

I have to remind myself to drink , drink regularly. Some people need to drink more than others . I am one that need a lot of water ‘cause I sweat. It’s important to have a plan and stick close to it. If you wait till you are really thirsty you have lost some already. A good plan can be take three sips every 30 min. If you turn up your bottle and guzzle half a liter your body can’t absorb that much at one time and you’ll just urinate it out . Your body can only absorb 10% of what you drink at any one time . What works for you ??
It is the primary reason I use a water bladder with a tube that is easily accessible. I can walk all day without food but not without water.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don’t like carrying much water because it’s heavy so I stopped a few times each day to have an Aquarius hydration drink. Buying something meant I could sit somewhere cool and use the cafe’s bathroom.

Doing this I never had to carry more than about 700ml of water except on those couple of days on the Frances when there are long stretches without stores. And I never felt dehydrated.

I am looking now at how to handle the water question, preparing for my first Camino. I have small bottles, because I never liked the taste out of a bladder but it maybe because the bladder I tried was not the best quality one. I may take a bladder with me just in case, not sure yet.. But I sweat a lot and I will need to ensure I drink enough on the Portuguese in September.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am looking now at how to handle the water question, preparing for my first Camino. I have small bottles, because I never liked the taste out of a bladder but it maybe because the bladder I tried was not the best quality one. I may take a bladder with me just in case, not sure yet.. But I sweat a lot and I will need to ensure I drink enough on the Portuguese in September.
The bladder never likes me. I never know how much is left and after a few warm days with untreated water it tastes funky. Just me-

The body can absorb about 1/4 cup (60 ml) in 15 minutes, so several sips every 15 minutes will do it. My shoulders are not limber enough to reach and replace a water bottle in my pack's side pocket, so I've used a water bladder -- Platypus brand -- for years. Only water goes in, fresh every day. I also carry an empty SmartWater bottle in a side pocket, for electrolyte mixes or for midday refillings (since removing the bladder from pack means unpacking the whole thing, very inconvenient).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When did drinking water become a process? Weird. Next we will begin seeing IV hydration stations.

You might also read this thread about excessive heat. I posted there, base don my experiences.

Hydrate early, hydrate often. Small drinks of up to 1/2 of a 1/2 liter bottle maximum are best. If you exceed the absorption rate of your body, you will just urinate it out. I force myself to consume 1/2 liter every hour, whether I am thirsty or not.

Everyone is different. But this works, for me.

I carry four .5 liter bottles when I start each morning. I refill them whenever I stop. I explain my water load in the article link to the other post I mentioned. I can, but only carry extra water, if the planned segment is light on replenishment opportunities, or I anticipate meeting other pilgrims who did not bring enough water.

I hope you find that information useful.

Tom

Please don’t get obsessed with your fluid intake and drink too much. If you are drinking only water it can be dangerous to drink too much, it disturbs your electrolyte balance.
As others have said little and often but you shouldn’t be drinking litres and litres a day. Staying out of the midday/mid afternoon sun is preferable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We’ve tried bladders but discovered at the end of each day we had drunk significantly less than we thought. Rather than risk dehydration we’ve gone back to bottles. We use vapor bottles, which weigh almost nothing (empty, that is).

A good plan can be take three sips every 30 min. If you turn up your bottle and guzzle half a liter your body can’t absorb that much at one time and you’ll just urinate it out . Your body can only absorb 10% of what you drink at any one time .
Depends on the time of year and the weather. I would drink 250ml every hour as a minimum on the VDLP in Summer (preferably every 30 minutes) and would carry 3 litres of water as well as extras as there are minimal bars or fountains. I would fluid load before leaving and it was rare to need to pee. I can easily drink 700 ml in one go. On the Levante and Invierno in Feb/Mar I would carry 1 litre. After a coffee and a drink I would be peeing within the hour.
If you are thirsty you are already about 3% dehydrated.

One tip about water sources on the Camino: typically I choose to only fill at fountains or sources that have a spigot or button to push, rather than a free flowing stream from some pipe coming out the side of a mountain.

I have a favorite saying... "I love the smell of chlorine in my water. Smells like, victory"... sadly my pop culture references these days are understood by fewer and fewer as I "mature".

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I use bottles, but with a tube. (Convertube system). The bottle stays in my pack which helps keep it cooler, and having the nozzle within easy reach encourages me to drink more often. I'm somebody that prefers to sip little and often, although occasionally when I stop for a break I will have a longer drink. I only ever use the same 500ml bottle for the tube system, my main bottle stays clean. That way I can share if needs be. When expecting long stretches I'll often carry a bottle of Aquarius in addition. More for the taste than electrolytes, which I get plenty of with my food.

I am a camel!
On the way I drink less and fill up on the evening (Clara/Radler, Wine and Juice) and on breakfast (usually 1 big cup cafe con leche, 1 big glass of orange juice). If I'm lucky I drink half a litre of water while on the way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you turn up your bottle and guzzle half a liter your body can’t absorb that much at one time and you’ll just urinate it out . Your body can only absorb 10% of what you drink at any one time . What works for you ??
I was interested in your comment so tried researching this but cannot find anything verifies your statement.
Several sites did say that your body can absorb water more efficiently when you sip it gently, which leads to improved hydration. However multiple sites say that the body can absorb between 500 ml to one liter of liquid per hour, depending on a large range of factors. None of them said anything about your body only being able to absorb 10% of what you drink at any one time.

Milk and fruit juices have better absorption rates than plain water, and all sites advise that if you're consuming significant quantities of plain water without food you also need sodium (half a teaspoon per litre) .

Some of the sites also said that it depends on 1/ your body's hydration status and 2/ the state of your bladder when you drink as to how quickly you will then need to urinate. If you're well hydrated, and the bladder is 25% full or more you could want to pee in as little as 5-15 minutes, if however you are dehydrated it could be several hours.

Incidentally, for most people, apparently the ideal temperature for water hydration is 45 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit (7 -12 C). No wonder we all enjoy a nice cool drink!

I always make sure that about every third drink is something that is not water eg gazpacho, soft drink preferably with sugar as this metabolised down to more water, café con leche, juice to get a few more electrolytes in addition to the trail mix I munch on.
I don't go as far as every third drink but I certainly drink half a litre or so of fresh OJ and cafe con leche per day (probably nearer double actually).
As you say Gazpacho is also great for electrolytes.

An excellent electrolyte source: a banana. Appx 32 milligrams of magnesium, 25 milligrams of phosphorus, and 375 milligrams of potassium (which helps keep you hydrated for longer and is essential for our muscles) according to the USDA. At around 75% water, they're also great for hydration.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why? You do not need them as long as you are drinking and eating OK.
Because sometimes, although I personally enjoy the taste of chlorine, it is nice to add some flavor and fizz to the water too. I've had this discussion before, where someone said "why waste your money on electrolytes, just drink orange juice or beer and eat a banana?" Turns out electrolyte tabs are WAY cheaper in the long run... but for me really it is more about just adding some variety.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
you turn up your bottle and guzzle half a liter your body can’t absorb that much at one time and you’ll just urinate it out .
I agree. Some people think that we can "camel" our water, but we are not camels and even if we were, camels store fat, not water in their humps.
Are you sure about that? I didn´t think that was how the human body worked, but I could be wrong.
Not an expert, but yes, if you take in more liquid than your body can absorb/use you will urinate it out.

The body can absorb about 1/4 cup (60 ml) in 15 minutes, so several sips every 15 minutes will do it

If you are thirsty you are already about 3% dehydrated
Of course! Being thirsty is how the system works. The body can surely deal with 3% dehydration, however that might be measured.

There is a lot of questionable pseudoscience about hydration in the media and online discussions, including this forum.

I usually don’t pay any attention to these hydration threads because I think this is another thing that is entirely person-specific. A report to the mods caught my attention.

I rarely drink more than a liter of water during the day walking, even on long days with lots of elevation, but I eat a lot of fruit. I drink when I am thirsty. The hotter the day, the more thirsty I am and the more I drink. I think that if some of the hype about dehydration were true (such as the frequently repeated warning that if you’re thirsty you’re already dehydrated), natural selection would have taken care of the human species.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On routes like the Francés, the Norte or the Portugués, there are plenty of water sources along the way where you can refill either or refresh (a different matter on southern routes such as the VdlP, the Lana or the Mozarabe). A much greater danger is overexposure to the sun. This will exacerbate dehydration and cause damage to the skin and body generally. People from temperate reasons think the way to cope with heat is remove clothing. Desert dwellers regard this as madness and Australians also think it is pretty daft. Protect yourself against the sun with light, loose clothing including and especially a hat. Remember you can drink like a fish and still get heatstroke.

Because sometimes, although I personally enjoy the taste of chlorine, it is nice to add some flavor and fizz to the water too. I've had this discussion before, where someone said "why waste your money on electrolytes, just drink orange juice or beer and eat a banana?" Turns out electrolyte tabs are WAY cheaper in the long run... but for me really it is more about just adding some variety.
I squeeze half a lime or lemon into my water bottle to improve the taste (I don´t like water). I suspect that if I added a tea spoonful of salt or bicarbonate of soda and a dessert spoonful of sugar, I´d have a fairly good and cheap substitute for hydrolite tablets but if I am wrong here, feel free to rubbish my claim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I squeeze half a lime or lemon into my water bottle to improve the taste (I don´t like water). I suspect that if I added a tea spoonful of salt or bicarbonate of soda and a dessert spoonful of sugar, I´d have a fairly good and cheap substitute for hydrolite tablets but if I am wrong here, feel free to rubbish my claim.
Sounds like some effort. Why do the homemade thing when someone else has already done it for you? It would be cheaper and more convenient to just buy it as it is already made.

Sounds like some effort. Why do the homemade thing when someone else has already done it for you? It would be cheaper and more convenient to just buy it as it is already made.
Not sure about cheaper. But, yeah, it is an effort, which is why I don´t actually do it. I don´t like hydrolite tablets because they give me an aftertaste, I suspect they use artificial sweeteners and anyway for most normal activities they are redundant.

Should be a separate sub-forum for pseudoscience.

Some people do need to properly flush their bladders ( not the plastic ones ) and as such need to do more than a sip. We're all different, there are no hard and fast rules about water consumption other than.. yes you need some

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
???
What does this mean?
How does one properly flush their bladder?
well as an example, my mother was informed by a health professional to drink a lot in one go

she suffers from UTI regularly and I suspect she wouldn't be the only one

I agree with @trecile, @peregrina2000 and @C clearly. I walk a lot in the Sierra de Mijas, so I have had my fair share of experience with water management when hiking, and most of the fountains are closed now since we are in a drougth since I don’t even can record, so I really have to plan carefully for me and my dogs. For 2 to 3 hours hike in the sun (but not after 11 am or before 17pm), I leave with 2 to 2,5l, and that covers me and 2 dogs (a doberman and a dachsund). I stop every 20 minutes to sip a bit and give them a bit.
I have to drink a minimum of 3l under normal conditions (without hiking) because of a medication I take, but I drink about 1l early in the morning and the rest of the day, I just drink when I am thirsty. I always reach what I need and never had trouble.
What I do a lot here in Spain is, after the hike, go to my favourite cafe and have a cold coffee (cafe con hielo) and a bottle of mineral sparkling water. Because of the salt in it, it gives me the electrolytes I need. I always feel great after that. I have yet to have a sparkling water here in a coffee shop that is not salty.
I am guessing the 1l I drink waking up is the “flushing” amount, because obviously I pee a lot afterwards, but once that’s done, I am good to go for the day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Because of the salt in it, it gives me the electrolytes I need. I always feel great after that. I have yet to have a sparkling water here in a coffee shop that is not salty.
I am a fan of sparkling water myself. You might this article interesting:

I don't drink enough and have suffered for it with heat injuries even on the Camino. I don't like straws or tubes as with a Camelback (a weird thing, I know) and prefer to sip from a cup or bottle. I carry a small bottle on my pack strap with a Chums bottle carrier and refill it often or change it if I run out if water before.
I carried a Grayl ( https://thegrayl.com ) and had no ill effects refilling from irrigation ditches. No straws or tubes. I suspect there are other brands of similar, but I don’t know.

I'm one of those people who tends to drink a fair amount in one go, rather than frequently taking small sips. I haven't suffered from dehydration yet, although most of my Camino walking has been in the summer months. Maybe I do need to pee more, because my body is not absorbing every drop. Not so much more that I havent been able to hold it in until bars or albergues. On the other hand, I've also heard that if you are not peeing, that isn't a very good sign of being well hydrated. So long as my urine is light and not dark, I figure I'm doing okay as far as being hydrated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my first Camino, I always kept my water in a pouch at my side so that I could reach it easily. I was in a small family of walkers and noticed that the young woman amongst us hardly ever drank. She said it was because she couldn't reach it without taking her backpack off so couldn't be bothered. I told her to tell me when she wanted a drink and I'd pass her bottle to her and put it back. It took her a while to feel comfortable doing this so I used to ask her if she wanted a drink whenever I had one.
I've always remembered that and have often recommended to new walkers in my walking club at home that they have something they can use to ensure they can get to their drink without effort. For me, if it's too much effort, I tend to go without.
Nowadays, I'm on the carnivore diet so an aquarius drink or fruit are out of the question but I take a container of sea salt with me and add that to my water to help my body absorb it better. I also add it to my coffee.

I'm one of those people who tends to drink a fair amount in one go, rather than frequently taking small sips. I haven't suffered from dehydration yet, although most of my Camino walking has been in the summer months. Maybe I do need to pee more, because my body is not absorbing every drop. Not so much more that I havent been able to hold it in until bars or albergues. On the other hand, I've also heard that if you are not peeing, that isn't a very good sign of being well hydrated. So long as my urine is light and not dark, I figure I'm doing okay as far as being hydrated.
I have always heard that if you don’t pee every hour or so you are not drinking enough to clear bladder/kidneys

Have you ever drunk too much? "One time, at band camp", (it was on the Salvador), I failed to plan ahead so that I could actually get something to eat. I remember asking local boys in the small town where I was sleeping, "can I just order a pizza or something?" They looked at me like I was crazy. The next day was HOT, and mountainous. I think I drank 14 liters of water that day. It is an unclear memory. I can remember, however, walking into that next day's destination in a daze, the people in town looking at me quizzically and maybe a little concerned. I stripped completely naked and collapsed on the floor once I got into my room. The point of this story is... it is not just about the water.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I have always heard that if you don’t pee every hour or so you are not drinking enough to clear bladder/kidneys
Every hour seems pretty excessive to me! Most normal healthy people pee about 6 - 7 times per day.

According to this article, "Ideally, experts said adults should be urinating about every three to four hours while they’re awake"

Of course! Being thirsty is how the system works. The body can surely deal with 3% dehydration, however that might be measured.

There is a lot of questionable pseudoscience about hydration in the media and online discussions, including this forum.
3% is tolerable and is mild dehydration at most and easily remedied with oral fluids. Nowhere near hospital level. The danger is when oral input is insufficient. 10% will score you a hospital admission.
Maintenance for my weight is 125ml/hr and that is at rest.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK236237/table/ttt00009/?report=objectonly is an interesting wee table looking at sweat rates admittedly in trained people over several hours doing 5.6km per hour. A bit faster than your average pilgrim but nowhere near race walking.
But the observation that being in a hot-wet environment roughly doubles your sweat output and a hot-dry environment doubles it again is what is relevant.

Really relevant for people walking in the southern parts of Spain.
Most people notice sweat in the hot wet areas but underestimate their fluid losses in the hot dry areas because a lot of it evaporates.
Take home message is that if you feel thirst you must drink. And if it is hot and dry expect your fluid losses to be more than you think.

How much you carry in fluids is very much route dependent but there are certainly routes where it is safer to expect to carry more.
And if you are taking NSAIDs you really need to be proactive about fluids.

And if a human bladder contains roughly 500 ml and kidneys make 100-125ml urine per hour then you would expect to pee at least every 4-5 hours or so if you are keeping up with your bodies needs.

I don’t like carrying much water because it’s heavy so I stopped a few times each day to have an Aquarius hydration drink. Buying something meant I could sit somewhere cool and use the cafe’s bathroom.

Doing this I never had to carry more than about 700ml of water except on those couple of days on the Frances when there are long stretches without stores. And I never felt dehydrated.
Quite doable on the CF but other caminos can have long distances without any recourse to refreshment, so you are obliged to carry your own water, or suffer the consequences. However, I have twice suffered dehydration on the CF so it can happen anywhere.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3% is tolerable and is mild dehydration at most and easily remedied with oral fluids. Nowhere near hospital level. The danger is when oral input is insufficient. 10% will score you a hospital admission.
Maintenance for my weight is 125ml/hr and that is at rest.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK236237/table/ttt00009/?report=objectonly is an interesting wee table looking at sweat rates admittedly in trained people over several hours doing 5.6km per hour. A bit faster than your average pilgrim but nowhere near race walking.
But the observation that being in a hot-wet environment roughly doubles your sweat output and a hot-dry environment doubles it again is what is relevant.

Really relevant for people walking in the southern parts of Spain.
Most people notice sweat in the hot wet areas but underestimate their fluid losses in the hot dry areas because a lot of it evaporates.
Take home message is that if you feel thirst you must drink. And if it is hot and dry expect your fluid losses to be more than you think.

How much you carry in fluids is very much route dependent but there are certainly routes where it is safer to expect to carry more.
And if you are taking NSAIDs you really need to be proactive about fluids.

And if a human bladder contains roughly 500 ml and kidneys make 100-125ml urine per hour then you would expect to pee at least every 4-5 hours or so if you are keeping up with your bodies needs.
Thank you for this, that table is interesting. The fact that the participants were sweating out 1.2 liters of water on average per hour in a hot dry environment ( potentially comparable to Spain at present ?) rather suggests that our bodies are capable of absorbing considerably more water per hour than others have suggested above.

A quick online search came up with several websites that stated that in extreme heat (above 32c/90f) the human body can absorb a maximum of 1 -1.5 liters per hour (dependent on multiple individual factors).
Some point out that normally the rate is only half that.

The majority of us are not walking in the height of summer, clearly however if you are walking at the time of posting, with 40+ degree temperatures this could well be applicable.

One important factor as noted elsewhere is that protein can assist absorption. Most sites seem to suggest approximately 15 grams of protein per 600 ml. Many also go on to recommend milk.

Whilst water intoxication/toxicity is potentially dangerous (as per Damien's story above) the risks of dehydration are significantly higher.

I walked with a pilgrim last year on CF. It was 30 degrees plus. He was wobbling all over the path. I told him to sit down. When questioned all he had drunk was coffee that morning. He was fine after rehydrating.

I have a tube with a drinking spout attached to my 1 liter water bottle (not a bladder). It enables me to take small sips frequently.

I carry a second bottle and refill the drinking bottle when I need to on long days

Mine is from www.onebottle.com a small company in Connecticut in the USA. Excellent customer service too

If you have a quality bladder like one from Osprey (IMO) you can fill it and put in a couple table spoons of lemon juice. Set it sit for a couple of hours or even over night in the fridge. Drain, rinse, and you should have dispelled any of the odd plastic taste. This worked for me and I hate odd tasting water.

Have fun on the Portuguese Camino. I walked the litoral route and it was fantastic.

Most read last week in this forum

Yesterday I began stage one of my Camino Frances from SJPP to Léon! I finished at Roncesvalles after 9 hours of the challenging but absolutely gorgeous hike from SJPP. However the intensity of the...
What OTC meds can you get in Spain for GERD?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.