• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does a waist strap accessory bag exist?

msconduct10

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2025
I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love is an attachment for my waist belt that would hold my passport, money, phone, chappy and a protein bar, which I can take off and carry as, like, a wristlet or something when I’m just going around town. Does that exist? Is it too impractical? Do I need to make my own? I have a sewing machine and time on my hands!

Or any other clever solutions for this?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Yes, this one from Decathlon can attach to the hip belt or be worn as a separate waist pack. I know that Osprey also makes a bag that's designed to be attached to the backpack.

The one from Decathlon is not currently available in the US, but it is available in Decathlon stores in Spain.

However, I prefer to carry something that's not attached to my backpack, because I when I go into a bar, restaurant, or other business I want to be able to easily take my backpack off while still keeping my valuables close to me. In my case I use an Arc'teryx cross-body bag.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh of course REI has it. Lol I was just there! This one seems good too though maybe the connection isn’t quite right for my pack. https://zpacks.com/products/belt-pouch Thanks for the suggestions! I also just ordered some hiking pants with zipper pockets, which might do the job. My backpack waist strap does have a couple of pockets as well but I do want something I can take off and carry without my pack. I could probably finagle a wristlet strap to add to that REI one.

I hate having additional stuff strapped around my waist. I use a cross-body bag similar to @trecile as it is very secure - I can easily take my backpack off and on, with it still in place. It basically stays on my body everywhere except the shower. I can't imagine that a wristlet arrangement would be secure enough.

For one camino, I made my own bag so that I could get it as small and slim as possible, to hold exactly what I needed - phone, guidebook and daily cash. However, now I have gone slightly bigger, more like a fabric version of this one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hate having additional stuff strapped around my waist. I use a cross-body bag similar to @trecile as it is very secure - I can easily take my backpack off and on, with it still in place. It basically stays on my body everywhere except the shower. I can't imagine that a wristlet arrangement would be secure enough.

For one camino, I made my own bag so that I could get it as small and slim as possible, to hold exactly what I needed - phone, guidebook and daily cash. However, now I have gone slightly bigger, more like a fabric version of this one.
Oh you just wear it cross body under your pack? I don’t know why that hadn’t occurred to me. Other than the combo of chest strap and boobs might complicate that. I’ll have to play with that configuration. Might be easiest, as I agree, I’d like to have something antitheft for when I’m in the bigger cities.

Oh you just wear it cross body under your pack? I don’t know why that hadn’t occurred to me. Other than the combo of chest strap and boobs might complicate that. I’ll have to play with that configuration. Might be easiest, as I agree, I’d like to have something antitheft for when I’m in the bigger cities.
I wear my cross-body bag under my backpack. I wear it so that it's down at my hip, not up high as is "fashionable" these days. It's well under my backpack hip belt.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
On my first Camino I used an RFID blocking waist pouch from REI made to be worn under your shirt/drawers. It worked great for what I needed (storing passport, extra cash, 1-2 other important docs).

I haven't used it since, but I miss not having my passport on my person at all times. A few downsides with the money pouch: You could store a protein bar or other snack in there, but it won't come out looking the same as when it went it. I found that digging the belt out when I needed it to be awkward (and raised eyebrows a few times when I needed to unbutton my drawers to access it). On hotter days, it would get uncomfortable and not a little damp from sweat. Eew.

That said, I think if I were forwarding my baggage and not hiking mid-summer, then it might be a more workable option. I'm going to take a look at some of the pouches linked by @trecile because I need a better solution for keeping my bulky iPhone 13 Pro handy. It's 204 grams without the case (almost half a pound), but I so very much love the camera.

On my first Camino I used an RFID blocking waist pouch from REI made to be worn under your shirt/drawers. It worked great for what I needed (storing passport, extra cash, 1-2 other important docs).

I haven't used it since, but I miss not having my passport on my person at all times. A few downsides with the money pouch: You could store a protein bar or other snack in there, but it won't come out looking the same as when it went it. I found that digging the belt out when I needed it to be awkward (and raised eyebrows a few times when I needed to unbutton my drawers to access it). On hotter days, it would get uncomfortable and not a little damp from sweat. Eew
Those types of pouches are not meant to be accessed in public. You are supposed to keep valuables that you want to protect, but don't need access to throughout the day in them. You should carry a small amount of cash in an easily accessible pocket or bag.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Huh, interesting. I’m definitely going to have to play with this.
Yes, it requires some experimentation - e.g. whether the cross-body straps are inside the hip belt or outside, arranging so it doesn't bounce. Since my rain jacket is quite roomy, in the rain I have the pouch inside my jacket, tucked in front of my chest. It stays in that position as long as the pack hip strap is fastened. When I remove the pack, the pouch drops down to hip level under my jacket.

Again since I don't like things around my waist, I have this type of travel pouch for documents (credit cards, passport, emergency cash) I don't access during the day. It hangs inside my trousers, from a diaper pin inside my waist band. If needed during the day for some reason, I can flip it to the outside without detaching.

Those types of pouches are not meant to be accessed in public. You are supposed to keep valuables that you want to protect, but don't need access to throughout the day in them. You should carry a small amount of cash in an easily accessible pocket or bag.
Indeed! On one occasion I was unexpectedly asked for my passport when I stayed at a hotel. And upon checking in to the very first albergue I ever stayed in, I discovered that it's a lousy place to carry your Compostela. 🙃

I use one like this* on the Camino as though it were a fanny pack, forward facing and without tucking it into my clothing. For me, it was slim enough not to interfere with my pack and the right size to carry everything the OP was asking about. And I wore it around town in the afternoon and evening as a cross-body bag.

*This one in particular: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M594B5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love is an attachment for my waist belt that would hold my passport, money, phone, chappy and a protein bar, which I can take off and carry as, like, a wristlet or something when I’m just going around town. Does that exist? Is it too impractical? Do I need to make my own? I have a sewing machine and time on my hands!

For me, it's called real cargo pockets in my shorts. I put my phone in one pocket and my passport/money/cards, etc in the other. It's very hard to find women's shorts with real pockets. I got mine from Duluth Trading Co., the "Dry on the Fly" shorts.

For me, it's called real cargo pockets in my shorts. I put my phone in one pocket and my passport/money/cards, etc in the other. It's very hard to find women's shorts with real pockets. I got mine from Duluth Trading Co., the "Dry on the Fly" shorts.
Yeah I ordered some hiking pants (shorts all ride up on me plus might be too cool in April) with zippered pockets but it’s hard to find them with a smooth stretchy waist, which I need for my abdominal scar. I do love DT though. One of the few places I’ll spend real money on clothes because they last forever!

Which reminds me … a macabi skirt might also solve your problem. They have amazing pockets - at various times I kept my water bottle, phone, credential, and change purse in them and never felt that they were either going to fall out, or that they were interfering with my walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Which reminds me … a macabi skirt might also solve your problem. They have amazing pockets - at various times I kept my water bottle, phone, credential, and change purse in them and never felt that they were either going to fall out, or that they were interfering with my walking.
That's definitely an interesting suggestion!

You could get a Macabi skirt, or simply wear a giant tent around your bottom half. (Sorry, I couldn't resist).
I was skeptical at first too. But when I was able to get the slim style on sale, I thought I would give it a try.

And I became a convert right away. A game changer. Wore it every day. Best Camino purchase I made (and I made a lot, because I am a gearhead).

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I was skeptical at first too. But when I was able to get the slim style on sale, I thought I would give it a try.

And I became a convert right away. A game changer. Wore it every day. Best Camino purchase I made (and I made a lot, because I am a gearhead).
Glad you found the perfect solution. I just found a picture of the Slim Macabi. I just can't.

Attachments

• macabi.JPG
    macabi.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 62
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My preferred set up is to have small camera bag, (for cameras), hanging from the chest strap with caribiners and for all those other things you want ready access is in my small purse, about 6" X 4" X 2". It goes over my head and under my arm before I put on the backpack. Then, once the chest strap is connected, the camera bag is attached. Everything I need is all as handy as I need without taking the backpack off.

I’ve used one of these. It’s not cheap but very versatile. I can thread my waist belt through it when hiking, but once I take my pack off, I can use it as a cross body bag.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Misconduct, please keep in mind that your most important (passport-licences-credit/debit) documents, money, phone should stay dirrectly with you at all times...attached to your back pack may not end well.

Misconduct, please keep in mind that your most important (passport-licences-credit/debit) documents, money, phone should stay dirrectly with you at all times...attached to your back pack may not end well.
Yeah, that’s why I want something I can take off and carry.

Hyperlite Mountain Gear Versa. Use as a sling or bum bag/fanny pack, or attach to the hip belt of your backpack for a built-in waist "pack". I carried all my valuables, passport, money etc in it during my pilgrimage from SJPP to SdC and it worked perfectly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I wore a slim version of the long Macabi skirt and it was fantastic, plus looked respectable for churches etc. Add a pair of tights underneath for cold weather and it's perfect. UPF 50 (approximately) for hot weather. I had TONS of ladies who complimented me on it and wanted to know where they could get one. It will definitely come with me on any future caminos.

On my first Camino, I had one that attached to my Gregory pack, but I found it most unwieldy when I wanted to take my pack off. I gave it up after the first 500 miles and got a regular small waist pack that did not attach. I always put my waist pack on first and backpack second, so I can ditch the pack and still walk into a shop or restroom keeping my valuables with me. Experiment to see what works for you. If it is terribly wet weather, I might stuff the waist pack inside the big pack or else cover all with a poncho.

How is that Versa bag different from other fanny packs that look the same as that, but cost $16?
The Versa can be attached directly to your pack either on the sternum strap or on the hip belt. There is an opening at the back of the pouch which allows the straps to be fed through. When it is attached to your pack, you have the option of removing the included straps or you can tuck them in. If you tuck them in, it’s easy to carry the pouch as a cross body bag when you remove it from your pack. The quality is very good. It has two large pockets and is water resistant. It is very expensive though.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

One that attaches to your pack waist strap will still be on your pack when you drop the pack “ just for a minute “ I recommend a small but pack pull over to the left side , it can fit low under your waist strap. It will alway be with you-

Yes, this one from Decathlon can attach to the hip belt or be worn as a separate waist pack. I know that Osprey also makes a bag that's designed to be attached to the backpack.

The one from Decathlon is not currently available in the US, but it is available in Decathlon stores in Spain.

However, I prefer to carry something that's not attached to my backpack, because I when I go into a bar, restaurant, or other business I want to be able to easily take my backpack off while still keeping my valuables close to me. In my case I use an Arc'teryx cross-body bag.
I use this and it works ok, when you are walking, but i wish it were converible with a shoulder strap to wear when I arrive somewhere and want to use it like a purse.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.