Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do French and Finisterre ways continuously or pause in SdC a

irishmancamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2013
Hi everybody,

I'm walking the French way (starting 13th June), obviously extremely excited about the adventure ahead and looking forward to meeting some amazing people along the way.

I'm spending just a little over 6 weeks in Spain as I also want to complete the Camino Finisterre whilst I'm there and I don't want to rush anything.

I'm just wondering how people have done this in the past? Have you gone to the cathedral in SdC, attended the pilgrim mass and received your certificate and then went onto Finisterre/Muxia OR did you bypass the city and keep walking onto Finisterre and Muxia and then return to SdC and do the formalities then? Is there an official way to do this?

Also, where do you go to get your certificate when completing the Camino Finisterre?

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Buen Camino!

Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Joe,

Pilgrims arriving in Santiago de Compostela often go first to the Pilgrims' Center located on rua de Vilar near the cathedral where they receive their Compostella, then attend mass at the cathedral and a day or two later walk on to Finisterre and/or Muxia. The Galicia Tourist Office in Santiago at 30 rua de Vilar has a good free list of ALL services on the paths to both Finisterre and Muxia. This includes food shops, albergues, lodgings, restaurants, bars, banks, buses, etc. Their multilingual staff is also most helpful. At the municipal albergue in Negreira you can pick up a special pilgrim Credential for the Finisterre walk or continue to use your first one. When you arrive on foot at Finisterre you can obtain a Certificate at the municipal albergue centrally located at Calle Real, 2. In the same way when you walk into Muxia you can obtain a Certificate at the municipal albergue on Calle Enfesto.

For me one special vista on these walks is always the first glimpse of the distant sea as seen from the rolling hills near Cee. Near-by is the simple, welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./al ... san-roque/ From their dorm window when you see the timeless lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining in the black night sky all is magical.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think such things are better decided once there...

what ever you feel like doing will be the right thing

Hola irishmancamino,
To me one of the highlites of the Camino is spending a couple of days in SDC and meeting again pilgrims you met along the way. Apart from the exhileration of arriving yourself, to meet others, some who you've seen struggling, some who battled with injuries, the joy of greetings and many times hugs with them is something that stays with you forever. Of course, I realize you need the time, but it's worth considering if you have the time.
Did I mention sitting in the sun at Plaza De Fonseca (or similar) having a drink with a bunch of fellow pilgrims.
Buen Camino
Colin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Totally agree with the above posts. It's great spending a couple of days in SdC watching other pilgrims arrive and bumping into people you met along the Way who arrive a day or so before/after you. One of the nicest things about Santiago is just watching pilgrims in the street shriek and start hugging each other if they see someone they met and lost along the Way...especially if you're involved in the shrieking/hugging yourself. :D Buen Camino!

colinPeter said:
To me one of the highlites of the Camino is spending a couple of days in SDC and meeting again pilgrims you met along the way. Apart from the exhileration of arriving yourself, to meet others, some who you've seen struggling, some who battled with injuries, the joy of greetings and many times hugs with them is something that stays with you forever. Of course, I realize you need the time, but it's worth considering if you have the time.
Did I mention sitting in the sun at Plaza De Fonseca (or similar) having a drink with a bunch of fellow pilgrims.
I couldn't agree more!

What's even better is that you can do that in SDC then walk to Finisterre/Muxia, go back to SDC and do it all again with the people you met on the way to Finisterre.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Tyrrek and Julie! I'm getting even more excited at the prospect of that experience twice over!!

Buen Camino! :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Joe,
Tony and I are starting off from SJPDP on 13th June and hoping to get to SDC about 19th July. We are planning to check in, get passport stamped, stay the night and then start off for Finisterre the following morning. We will then return to SDC on 23rd July and stay there until 26th, which will cover the feast of St James on 25th July.
I am sure we will meet you along the Way, somewhere.
Buen Camino,
Brendan

Hi Joe
Go on to Fistera if you must, I am not a great fan of the place, oh the light house at sunset and the 0 kilometer milestone are all right but the place has grown terribly commerical. You get your Fistera document after 1630 at the municipal albergue there provided you have had your Santiago credencial stamped along the way from Santiago to Fistera. Do consider Muxia, a wonderfully small village quiet relaxing and exactly the opposite in all ways from Fistera.
Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I searched the forum and only saw threads about Portugal. I was googling for info about the fires, and Google Maps showed one in Spain. No idea how...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...
I heard it mentioned that rather than walking through the industrial section of Leon it was possible to take a bus out of the city....but where to?
Hi do any of my pergrino friends have an Amazon watch charger with them I could use to charge my watch up in burgos on the 20th of september.buen camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back