Distance From Amsterdam to St. Jean Pied De Port

Apr 7, 2023
USA
Time of past OR future Camino
September-October 2021
Is there a known walking distance from AMSTERDAM to ST. JEAN via LE PUY? No matter how I phrase the question on Google I am continually taken to links from St. Jean to Santiago.
I do not want to fly. I do not want to take a train. I do not want to drive. I simply want to walk the Camino from Amsterdam to st. Jean. Google will not let me do this.
Thanks for any help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I recommend that you download mapy.cz.
It shows walking distances on marked trails. According to a quick search, Amsterdam to Le Puy is between 1229 and 1303 km, depending on the route that you choose.

It should be easy to add the distance between Le Puy and St Jean Pied de Port to that.

Edit: the distance between Le Puy and SJPdP is about 750 km, so you are looking at between 1979 and 2053 km.

1000025376.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
No matter how I phrase the question on Google
Are you using Google Maps? Put the starting point and destination into Google Maps, and ask for walking directions. Add a stop in Le Puy. That will give you a good idea of the distance, but a more specific trail app (as suggested above) will be better.

Ianinam

Dec 15, 2016
The Netherlands
CF 2013 / CP 2018
As you are starting from the Netherlands, check the website of the 'Nederlands Genootschap van Sint Jacob' (Dutch confraternity of Saint James), the biggest Saint James organisation of the world (over 15,000 members). All routes in Europe, also in English: https://www.santiago.nl/lopen-naar-santiago/

Purky

Intermittent Member
Sep 5, 2016
Breda
Reality is frequently inaccurate
Some good tips above. @trecile was spot on, I calculated 2023 km with the following itinerary:

Amsterdam - Vessem: 170 km, Jacobsweg Amstelredam (stages 5-10)
Vessem - Rocroi: 283 km, Via Monastica
Rocroi - Vezelay: 397 km, Via Campaniensis
Vezelay - Le Puy: 439 km, Vezelay - Le Puy (*)
Le Puy - SJPdP: 734 km, Via Podiensis

* EDIT: There is no official itinerary for the St. Jacobs trail from Vézelay to Le Puy-en-Velay. People used to walk via the GR13 and the GR3. Since 2002, there has been a St. Jacobs route from Cluny to Le Puy. Using part of this 'Way of Cluny', one can construct the following 440 km long connection Vézelay - Le Puy:
1. From Vézelay to Uxeau via the GR13 Traversée du Morvan: 148 km.
2. From Uxeau via Paray-le-Monial and Marcigny to La Bénisson-Dieu: 77 km.
3. From La Bénisson-Dieu via the "Way of Cluny" to Le Puy: 215 km.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My husband and I are considering walking for about 3 weeks on either the Via Francigena or the Via Francesco in Italy. Im having trouble finding information that compares the two options...
I saw this link on FB today and it is useful to give you some idea of the serious nature of snow around the GSB pass. This is saying that the snow has been very heavy this year, but that the pass...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.