• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difference between the Compostela and the welcome certificate (certificado de bienvenida)

Jmancebo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés
La-Compostela.png

Certicfiado-bienvida.png

Which one is the Compostela, the first photo or the second one?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So, if I say that I am doing the Camino for non-religious reasons, will I receive the first one?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, if I say that I am doing the Camino for non-religious reasons, will I receive the first one?
The second one is supposed to be the non-religious alternative but many people recently have said that they received the Compostela - the first one - even after stating that they walked for reasons which were not religious or spiritual.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My guess is that they simply found it easier this way. The certificates are now printed on a laser printer. To generate two different certificates, with the Welcome Certificate being a relatively low demand item, would require an additional laser printer and additional computer coding to be able to generate two certificates in parallel.

From a business case perspective, this makes sense.

My guess, from having volunteered at the Pilgrim Office many times would be that nearly 95 percent of all pilgrims get the Compostela anyway. So, making the decision to reduce the printed certificates to the single Compostela makes logical sense.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To generate two different certificates, with the Welcome Certificate being a relatively low demand item, would require an additional laser printer
Why would a different printer be necessary?
Are they not giving out the distance certificate any more?
Yes, you can still buy a distance certificate.

La-Compostela.png

Certicfiado-bienvida.png

Which one is the Compostela, the first photo or the second one?
Since I have received my fair share of Compostellas it is obvious it is the first one.Also since I never even heard of a welcome certificate it makes the choice even easier.

My guess is that they simply found it easier this way. The certificates are now printed on a laser printer. To generate two different certificates, with the Welcome Certificate being a relatively low demand item, would require an additional laser printer and additional computer coding to be able to generate two certificates in parallel.

Whatever is behind the reason, it would seem unlikely to have anything to do with printing logistics. The Compostela and distance Certificate both come out of the same printer.. If it can be programmed to print two different layouts on two different size papers, it can be programmed to print other layouts, other things. In any case, there is still a regular need for things to be handwritten.

Whatever is behind the reason, it would seem unlikely to have anything to do with printing logistics. The Compostela and distance Certificate both come out of the same printer.. If it can be programmed to print two different layouts on two different size papers, it can be programmed to print other layouts, other things
@Flog, that the Compostela and Distance Certificate both come out the same printer is not a surprise to me at least as a computer and printer user of many years 😇. On Amazon, you can buy laser printers with two trays for paper input and even with three input trays. Even the laser printer that I had decades ago had already two slots for feeding the print media into the printer - one for standard sized paper and one for envelopes.

@Jmancebo, you don't get asked at the desk what your reasons for walking on Camino were. You apply for your Compostela online, either through your mobile phone or other electronic device or at a kiosk/terminal in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

On this online form, for "Reasons for pilgrimage" you can tick (in the English version) either "Not religious" or "Other" or "Religious". Yes, in this order and yes, the wording of these three choices makes it a bit of an odd list.

No matter what you tick, you will receive a Compostela.

And for those who want a Distance Certificate in addition to the Compostela: On the online form, just click the box next to "Print mileage certificate".

Last edited:
Why would a different printer be necessary?

Yes, you can still buy a distance certificate.

The blank, pre-printed Compostelas, must be loaded into the printer as one would load blank paper. The Compostelas and Distance Certificates are "overprinted." only the blank spaces are filled in with new information - name, date, etc.

I do not know if they have a printer with multiple paper trays to handle different sized certificates. My reply here presumes they are using the same laser printers that I knew they had in the office two years ago (2022). They might have added new printers.

Presently, I have been told that, at least one printer is dedicated to printing only A3 sized Compostelas. Another, separate printer has the larger, A3 paper-sized Distance Certificates. It works, especially for higher volumes.

To print a different certificate using a single or the same printer - like the Distance certificate - requires physically changing the paper in the feed tray, or at least swapping out one feed tray for another. In any event, with perhaps a dozen or more computer workstations sending print jobs to the dedicated printer, interrupting the printing of certificate A, for Certificate B, while additional print jobs are going into the print queue, would be simply not-doable.

Finally, given the volumes of certificates generated, the process only works if each type of certificate has its own dedicated laser printer, pre-loaded with the appropriate blank certificate - Compostela or Distance Certificate.

The more, different forms you offer, the more printers you would need. Of course, if you had the money and the computer programming was altered, you could print two different certificates from the same printer. I am not presuming that, as I do not yet have first-hand knowledge.

Hope this explains the process adequately, insofar as I am aware.

Tom

The blank, pre-printed Compostelas, must be loaded into the printer as one would load blank paper. The Compostelas and Distance Certificates are "overprinted." only the blank spaces are filled in with new information - name, date, etc.

I do not know if they have a printer with multiple paper trays to handle different sized certificates. My reply here presumes they are using the same laser printers that I knew they had in the office two years ago (2022). They might have added new printers.

Presently, I have been told that, at least one printer is dedicated to printing only A3 sized Compostelas. Another, separate printer has the larger, A3 paper-sized Distance Certificates. It works, especially for higher volumes.

To print a different certificate using a single or the same printer - like the Distance certificate - requires physically changing the paper in the feed tray, or at least swapping out one feed tray for another. In any event, with perhaps a dozen or more computer workstations sending print jobs to the dedicated printer, interrupting the printing of certificate A, for Certificate B, while additional print jobs are going into the print queue, would be simply not-doable.

Finally, given the volumes of certificates generated, the process only works if each type of certificate has its own dedicated laser printer, pre-loaded with the appropriate blank certificate - Compostela or Distance Certificate.

The more, different forms you offer, the more printers you would need. Of course, if you had the money and the computer programming was altered, you could print two different certificates from the same printer. I am not presuming that, as I do not yet have first-hand knowledge.

Tom

Tom, not that any pilgrims (including us on the forum) need to know anything about the workings behind the printing process, or anything behind the scenes for that matter, but as you've brought it up again.. I'm afraid your guesswork explanation of it is wholly inaccurate.

that the Compostela and Distance Certificate both come out the same printer is not a surprise to me at least as a computer and printer user of many years

Yes, there are more than a dozen such individual, dedicated printers, and each of them is loaded with both Compostelas and Distance Certificates, in seperate trays.

Again, none of this matters to the pilgrim, and needn't concern any of us.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Flog, that the Compostela and Distance Certificate both come out the same printer is not a surprise to me at least as a computer and printer user of many years 😇. On Amazon, you can buy laser printers with two trays for paper input and even with three input trays. Even the laser printer that I had decades ago had already two slots for feeding the print media into the printer - one for standard sized paper and one for envelopes.

@Jmancebo, you don't get asked at the desk what your reasons for walking on Camino were. You apply for your Compostela online, either through your mobile phone or other electronic device or at a kiosk/terminal in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

On this online form, for "Reasons for pilgrimage" you can tick (in the English version) either "Not religious" or "Other" or "Religious". Yes, in this order and yes, the wording of these three choices makes it a bit of an odd list.

No matter what you tick, you will receive a Compostela.

And for those who want a Distance Certificate in addition to the Compostela: On the online form, just click the box next to "Print mileage certificate".
Isn't that hilarious! A mileage certificate! After all the kilometres walked... or cycled, or limped!

Isn't that hilarious! A mileage certificate! After all the kilometres walked... or cycled, or limped!
A lot of the translation from Spanish into the various languages is unfortunate. It happens when the translator (whether amateur or professional) has no clue about what it is about and what the context is and just sees the words.

Spanish "medio de transporte" (i.e. on foot, bicycle and so on) is English "conveyance". My English vocabulary is quite good but I would have had to look up conveyance to know what it means. Remember that English is a foreign language for many non-Spanish walkers. But it works ... all you have to do is click on it and then you see the drop down menu and you know that you have to select "Walking". :)

Is kilometerage a word?
I don't know but I see that in German they have chosen "Kilometerbescheinigung" - "Kilometer certificate".

There is of course "distance certificate".

A good translation does not try to find an equivalent word, especially not when you write instructions for users. You try to think in their linguistic/cultural world and find the best expression where they understand meaning easily.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't know but I see that in German they have chosen "Kilometerbescheinigung" - "Kilometer certificate".

A good translation does not try to find an equivalent word, especially not when you write instructions for users. You try to think in their linguistic/cultural world and find the best expression where they understand meaning easily.
I loved the German way of adding on bits so that words could be almost endless, when I was learning it in school. My explanation is appalling, but I know what I mean! It is such a shame I have never needed to use it...but I can still recite and sing... ok, I promise, I won't 🤣

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Tom
Hi Tom and everyone following this thread.

I can concur with Flog about the current printers at the counters at the Pilgrim Office. On my two times volunteering there - last year and this year - I’ve found the printer has two trays - one for the compostelas and one for the distance certificates - both A4 in size and very conveniently sized to roll up in the tubes pilgrims can buy to protect the documents. It’s amazing how quickly those trays empty when the Pilgrim Office is busy!

The Welcome certificate is still in use and when I’ve been asked to issue one I’ve handwritten the personal details neatly. The only other certificate that I’ve been asked to issue is the Childrens’ certificate which is one that has the personal details handwritten.

I have to say this thread takes me STRAIGHT to the Pilgrim Office and to thoughts of the most valuable and special work everyone there - permanent staff and volunteers - all do. Thanks to Jmancebo for sharing initial thoughts.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Last edited:
Knew that new fangled metric system would never catch on! If I ever Camino again I shall demand a certificate in furlongs - "4000 furlongs" sounds much more impressive than a mere 800kms!

Tom, not that any pilgrims (including us on the forum) need to know anything about the workings behind the printing process, or anything behind the scenes for that matter, but as you've brought it up again.. I'm afraid your guesswork explanation of it is wholly inaccurate.

Yes, there are more than a dozen such individual, dedicated printers, and each of them is loaded with both Compostelas and Distance Certificates, in seperate trays.

Again, none of this matters to the pilgrim, and needn't concern any of us.
Okay, so you corrected me. Thank you. I don't mind being corrected when I am wrong.

I admit to not being able to be present for two years, due to circumstances wholly beyond my control. Clearly a LOT has changed - for the better - I think.

They appear to be doing it the correct way, at least in my view. As to the exact process, you are right. It does not matter.

Thank you again for the charitable correction.

Tom

Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hi Tom and everyone following this thread.

I can concur with Flog about the current printers at the counters at the Pilgrim Office. On my two times volunteering there - last year and this year - I’ve found the printer has two trays - one for the compostelas and one for the distance certificates - both A4 in size and very conveniently sized to roll up in the tubes pilgrims can buy to protect the documents. It’s amazing how quickly those trays empty when the Pilgrim Office is busy!

The Welcome certificate is still in use and when I’ve been asked to issue one I’ve handwritten the personal details neatly. The only other certificate that I’ve been asked to issue is the Childrens’ certificate which is one that has the personal details handwritten.

I have to say this thread takes me STRAIGHT to the Pilgrim Office and to thoughts of the most valuable and special work everyone there - permanent staff and volunteers - all do. Thanks to Jmancebo for sharing initial thoughts.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
Thanks for the update based on more current experience. I hope to get back next year - 2025.

Reply to @Kathar1na
I think that is behind the shift from 'translator' to 'interpreter' in viva voce context.
worked in that field all translation is an interpretation. IN fact all same languages understanding is an interpretation of what the intent might be.😏

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hold on just one moment Tom

[HOOTER]

one printer is dedicated to printing only A3 sized Compostelas. Another, separate printer has the larger, A3 paper-sized Distance Certificates.

One can get A3 Compostelas and distance certificates? You do realise that’ll have the completists booking flights this evening don’t you?

They would! For my German language class I keep a log of German compound words and their English translation. The German column is three times the width of the English one.

It's interesting to see how different languages translate sentences. I saw a notice on a Tube train once. The English sentence was quite short, the French added a LOT more words and the German version just bunched them all together. Each beautiful in their own way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.