Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day trip

Michele56

Time of past OR future Camino
September 14, 2024
I’m not sure if I am posting in the proper thread, so please excuse me if I am not. I will be in Santiago for 2 nights before returning home to Idaho. (It’s a long flight). I am considering a day trip by bus to Finesterre, Muxia and the coast. I am wondering if perhaps I might be better off spending a full day in Santiago.

Any insight or recommendations would be welcome.

Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unless you're tired of Idaho's beauty and have never seen the ocean, I agree with Trecile.
I've walked to Finisterre twice, but if I had to choose, a day in Santiago would give me more joy. The city itself is lovely. Lots of things to do and see (take a tour on top of the cathedral).

Even sitting in front of the cathedral watching the pilgrims arriving is great fun.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If this is your first time in Santiago I agree completely with the other two. I'm not much of a city person but Santiago is well worth spending a day exploring. (The market alone is pretty cool)
Doing so gives you the added bonus of no time pressure, meaning you can sleep in, if you wish go back to the hotel for a mid-afternoon break, etc.
And as @André Walker says, I personally always spend some time in the square sitting and watching pilgrims arrive. I've always been astonished to find somebody I know walking in - often after not having seen them for a week or more. It's heartwarming.

Let me reinforce the sentiments expressed above about spending your extra day in Santiago. After my first Camino I was in about the same position as you. What do I do with an extra day at the end of my walk? For several reasons, I chose to spend it in Santiago. First, it’s a vibrant, historical city that needs more than one day to even just begin to appreciate it. Second, after 31 days of walking without any rest days, it was time to take a break and enjoy my surroundings. No better city than Santiago to do this. And third, one doesn’t have to sit very long at a sidewalk cafe along Rua do Franco before a familiar face walks by. Reconnecting, even briefly, with people I had met along The Way proved to be just the right capstone for my walk. As an aside, I did get to Finisterre and Muxia, but those visits came on subsequent Caminos.

Unless you're tired of Idaho's beauty and have never seen the ocean, I agree with Trecile.
I've walked to Finisterre twice, but if I had to choose, a day in Santiago would give me more joy. The city itself is lovely. Lots of things to do and see (take a tour on top of the cathedral).

Even sitting in front of the cathedral watching the pilgrims arriving is great fun.
Thank you!!! That’s what I shall do.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If this is your first time in Santiago I agree completely with the other two. I'm not much of a city person but Santiago is well worth spending a day exploring. (The market alone is pretty cool)
Doing so gives you the added bonus of no time pressure, meaning you can sleep in, if you wish go back to the hotel for a mid-afternoon break, etc.
And as @André Walker says, I personally always spend some time in the square sitting and watching pilgrims arrive. I've always been astonished to find somebody I know walking in - often after not having seen them for a week or more. It's heartwarming.
Thank you! Life is so scheduled. I love the idea of leisurely exploring the city and no time pressure.

Let me reinforce the sentiments expressed above about spending your extra day in Santiago. After my first Camino I was in about the same position as you. What do I do with an extra day at the end of my walk? For several reasons, I chose to spend it in Santiago. First, it’s a vibrant, historical city that needs more than one day to even just begin to appreciate it. Second, after 31 days of walking without any rest days, it was time to take a break and enjoy my surroundings. No better city than Santiago to do this. And third, one doesn’t have to sit very long at a sidewalk cafe along Rua do Franco before a familiar face walks by. Reconnecting, even briefly, with people I had met along The Way proved to be just the right capstone for my walk. As an aside, I did get to Finisterre and Muxia, but those visits came on subsequent Caminos.
Thank you!! You insights were exactly what I need. A day exploring Santiago sounds perfect.

I’m not sure if I am posting in the proper thread, so please excuse me if I am not. I will be in Santiago for 2 nights before returning home to Idaho. (It’s a long flight). I am considering a day trip by bus to Finesterre, Muxia and the coast. I am wondering if perhaps I might be better off spending a full day in Santiago.

Thank you!
Take a long walk up a steep hill to the cultural centre. It is one of the most beautiful architectural designs. The views of the city is incredible.
Cidade da Cultura de Galicia
Cultural center

A selection of Camino Jewellery

🩷 It’s all about the joy.

Take a long walk up a steep hill to the cultural centre. It is one of the most beautiful architectural designs. The views of the city is incredible.
Cidade da Cultura de Galicia
Cultural center
I shall do thara
Enjoy the beautiful time in the city and do not forget to set a date with "The Shadow Pilgrim" 🙂
ooohh!!!! I was not familiar with the Shadow Pilgrim. I had to look it up.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thank you!
We rented a car and that made an excellent day trip with lunch in Muxia.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been the Alberque San Roque twice and it was amazing. The hospitality, cleanses, community food, donation based…all 12 out of 10, and it’s empty. No one’d like to walk in to check the...
I’m not sure if I am posting in the proper thread, so please excuse me if I am not. I will be in Santiago for 2 nights before returning home to Idaho. (It’s a long flight). I am considering a day...
My husband and I are planning on walking the Camino Finisterre & Muxía at the end of this year, starting on 28th December. We’ll be walking from Santiago, but we can’t decide if we should walk to...
When you walk to Finisterre and Muxia, do you need to get the stamps in the exact locations shown on the Prolongacion Xacobeo credencial? E.g. at the Igrexa de San Cristobal de Corzon in...
I seems to have two kind of bus stops 1. Estación Autobus (near City center) 2. Bus stop at a hospital 30' away Call it pilgrims dementia but I search all over and I find timetables but can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back