• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Cycling and the practicalities

Acdaws

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2024
I struggled to find the answers to some simple questions so thought I would add what I learnt...

I did the Northern route

1. The bike

An 'All road' bike or touring bike. 34mm Pirelli H Gravel tyre set up tubeless. Frame bag, rear pannier rack with just a waterproof rucksack rather than panniers. Two snack bags on the handlebars. Wore a camelback.
Bike lock and cable - sold secure Gold

2. Clothes

Two cycling shorts - bib and brace
Two cycling tops
One wind proof cycling jacket
Pair of hiking shorts
Two normal t shirts
Cycling specific Gravel shoes
Birkenstocks
Two pants
Two pairs cycling socks
Down jacket
Gloves
Sleeves
Waterproof top

*I wanted to feel normal at the Albergue and clean hence the non cycling specific stuff

I bought a pack of dry bags for about £10 from Amazon. I used these to separate out the contents of the rucksack and they also acted like compression sacks.

Red - first aid kit
Green - Down jacket
Black - normal clothes
Blue - cycling clothes

I did take a lightweight sleeping bag but, didn't really need to

3. Flying with your bike.

I flew with Vueling to Asturias airport. I used a cardboard box from a local bike shop to box the bike. The only stipulation from Vueling was that it was less than 2.4m long and you can't have any lithium batteries. Given they partner with BA who seem to set exact dimensions I thought this was wrong but, no. Paid £40 x 2 for the privilege. No one questioned the size of the box and yes I put other things in the box to reduce my carry on luggage.

I removed the chain and rear derailleur. I was worried the derailleur would get damaged and it's a critical part so didn't want to risk it. A quick link for the chain made that relatively easy.

4. Arrival

I timed it so that I could build my bike up at the airport and then cycled to an Albergue 6 miles away whilst it was still daylight. This was handy because it gave me the chance to make sure the bike worked.

The cardboard box was handed over to a friendly cleaner. We both knew it was going to get left by the side of a bin....

5 Albergues

This is the negative of taking a bike. Will it be secure...

I poured over Gronze and selected Albergues on the basis of whether there was any storage. I sent emails and was very fortunate in that this never became an issue.
Was I ever turned away in favour of walkers? No. But, I deliberately avoided the Frances knowing that was the busiest route.

6. Santiago

The Spanish post office (Correos) embarrasses the Royal Mail. Friendly and cheap.

Can I store my bike in the post office for a few days? Yes. 6 euros per day

Can I buy a bike box? Yes, 15 euros. It's not great quality but it does the job.

Located next to the cathedral it is also simple to find.

The only annoying thing is that they don't have an office at the airport so you can't post it to the airport or get a box at the airport.

7. Getting to the airport

I'm tight. I really don't like paying.

I was told that the bus wouldn't take a bike
Cab was a possibility but it's only 8 miles and I'm tight...

I folded the bike box until I was able to strap it to my back. I looked like a ninja turtle and it was sketchy riding but, the Spanish roads are practically empty so I felt okay. I did get some funny looks though.

8. Negatives

One walker told me at an Albergue that they felt cycles and walkers should be separate. Bikes shouldn't go on the trails. Not sure if they have had that chat with the Spanish who likely use the paths more often than just the once? having said this when the Northern joined the french I did prefer the roads because it did get crowded on the paths. Also, some fairly ignorant ebikers on an organised tour blasted down a path full of walkers.

I would say that as a cyclist you lose some of the obvious camaraderie.

Hope this helps anyone planning a cycling tour

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for that @Acdaws - really handy list of things to pack!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nice summary, thanks. What was your all up weight, average kms / day and did you stay every night in albergues?

Riding in Spain & Portugal I've never had issues with bike storage and I have never removed the derailleur for air travel but can understand why you would.

Richard

Weight wise.. not sure. Possibly 25kg. The boxed bike was 20kg on the airport scales. I carried a back pack on so potentially another 5kg. I'd try and reduce that further next time and I think that would be doable.

Bike storage - people seemed to fall over themselves to help.

Distance - I averaged 80km per day. It seemed a good balance between seeing sites and getting to your destination. My timetable meant I could only cycle over 4 days as that was all I could get away. It was also my first time flying with a bike so I wanted some space for contingencies

Timetable
Day 1 - arrive and get to accomodation.
Days 2 - 5 cycle
Day 6 - day in Santiago
Day 7 - travel to airport

I used Albergues for four nights. I fancied some comfort by then. I stayed in a pensioner around the corner from the cathedral.

Rear derailleur - should have mentioned. I have SRAM wireless gears so dialling in the gears wasn't an issue, just screw it back on and plug in the battery. If I had mechanical gears I would have risked leaving it on as it would have been more of a faff.

Thank you so Much. I'm planning for Via de la Plata-Sanabres mid-March and there isnt much information around.

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum