Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please use the Medieval/Roman Bridge in Ponte de Lima, Portugal (not the EN201 'new' bridge)

CJKColorado

Time of past OR future Camino
For those on the Camino Portugués traditional route coming through Ponte de Lima, Portugal, I’ve noticed some pilgrims are using maps/apps that have them cross on the ‘new’ (highway) bridge, which is the EN201 heavily-used car/truck road.

I live in Ponte de Lima 100meters from the Camino (and I’ve completed the Camino). I’ve now helped several pilgrims leaving the hostel (across from our flat) to find the actual, historic route.

The medieval bridge (culminating in a roman bridge, actually) is not to be missed - and is a national landmark. It is called a few different things on various maps, mainly Ponte Medieval; Ponte Medieval e Romana; or Ponte Romano-Gotica. It is a pedestrian and bike-only bridge.

Traveling across the ‘new’ (EN201 road) bridge also means missing the historic village center - and that means missing the oldest, longest continually inhabited medieval villages in Portugal (and, therefore, one of the oldest in all of Europe).

I’m not quite sure why so many pilgrims are getting routed or re-routed on the highway bridge. Hence… this post.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe because the new bridge is the first one you see when you approach. If you haven't done the homework and relied on the sight without checking the book, map, or the app. you'd end up on the wrong bridge. I love the mural under the new bridge, though.

Attachments

• under new ponte de lima.jpg
    under new ponte de lima.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
I can’t imagine missing Ponte de Lima- my favorite stop from Porto to SdC. I loved it so much last year that I brought my adult children there last week to spend a few days enjoying this lovely and lively town on a market Sunday and the quiet beauty of the evenings there. I’m only walking a few days on the camino this week because of work obligations but was so happy to walk across the bridge with them and share reflections from my solitary camino last year and show them this special place.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I could not agree more regarding the specialness of Ponte de Lima. I took a rest day there in 2022. If there is one place I could stay for several months, that would be it.

For those on the Camino Portugués traditional route coming through Ponte de Lima, Portugal, I’ve noticed some pilgrims are using maps/apps that have them cross on the ‘new’ (highway) bridge, which is the EN201 heavily-used car/truck road.

I live in Ponte de Lima 100meters from the Camino (and I’ve completed the Camino). I’ve now helped several pilgrims leaving the hostel (across from our flat) to find the actual, historic route.

The medieval bridge (culminating in a roman bridge, actually) is not to be missed - and is a national landmark. It is called a few different things on various maps, mainly Ponte Medieval; Ponte Medieval e Romana; or Ponte Romano-Gotica. It is a pedestrian and bike-only bridge.

Traveling across the ‘new’ (EN201 road) bridge also means missing the historic village center - and that means missing the oldest, longest continually inhabited medieval villages in Portugal (and, therefore, one of the oldest in all of Europe).

I’m not quite sure why so many pilgrims are getting routed or re-routed on the highway bridge. Hence… this post.
I just wanted to let you know that your beautiful town is my favorite place I have been in on all my Caminos

Walking across the Roman bridge was one of many highlights on my Camino last fall. I stayed overnight in Ponte de Lima and very much enjoyed the town.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe because the new bridge is the first one you see when you approach. If you haven't done the homework and relied on the sight without checking the book, map, or the app. you'd end up on the wrong bridge. I love the mural under the new bridge, though.
The weird bit is that a few days ago two pilgrims showed me the app/map they were using, which routed them over the new bridge (not to the old bridge). In hindsight, I should have asked which map/app they were using. When I see it happen again, I'll be sure to ask. I live directly across the street from one of the commonly used hostels. (Indeed, we selected Ponte de Lima, in part, because of the Camino.) We encounter pilgrims nearly every morning. Coffee on our balcony is referred to as 'pilgrim TV,' as we see everyone getting ready for the next stage. It's lovely, actually.

Thank you for this, it’s so helpful! I’m doing this Camino in September so I made a note to pay attention when I get to this point. Have a great day!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone... I'm new to the forum...I have done Sarria to Santiago twice with a group of friends... This year in September I am doing the Central Portugese Route on my OWN 😭😭 So I am.just...
Hey! I've lost a pair of socks and a boxer around Redondela. Now I am in Pontesampaio. If anyone sees it, can you please take it with you (it's clean haha), so I can get it back? Thank you! Buen...
Hi We are planning to do the Spanish section of the Portuguese Camino ( Tui to Santiago) at the end of August and are looking to pre book our bag transfer ( used Jacobean’s for Camino Francaise...
Hi, I will be walking from Coimbra ( or maybe from Agueda in case of a heat wave) and studying the map I saw that before Porto there are also wooden paths along the ocean like first few stages...
Here's something new that peregrinos on the Portuguese Central may want to look into-- Almost all the municipalities in the MedioTejo area have become part of a new e-bike network, where the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back