• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Comparing two climbs ~ Spiritual Variante to Armentiera vs Camino Frances to Orisson.

TreshaA2

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello! Am wonder if anyone has done both the climb to Armentiera and also the climb to Orrison and can please compare and contrast them? I have done the climb to Armentiera three times and am now considering doing the Frances starting in St. Jean. Thanks so much !!!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also agree the climb to Orisson is steeper - but it is shorter. I used the Gaia GPS hiking app to track both of my Caminos (Frances in 2023, Portuguese in 2024).

Orisson is about 7.5 km /4.6 miles from St. Jean according to the Wise Pilgrim app; for me Gaia GPS recorded 4.65 miles and an elevation gain for about 2050 feet - but the last two miles was significantly steeper than the previous section.

My walk from Pontevedra to Armenteria was a bit over 14 miles and Gaia GPS recorded an elevation gain of about 1800 feet - less than the shorter trek to Orisson. Again, the second half of that, the last 7 miles, was steeper than the first section.

My point is Orisson will be a steeper walk, especially the last half, but it is not as long.

Be aware that different apps report elevation gain differently, often by significant amounts, so using the same app for two walks provides some comparability, it will not match a different app.

That said, you can make any climb easier by training for elevation gain before you leave. If you do not live near hills or mountains, you can try using a Stair Stepping machine in a gym or elsewhere. It will help, but it's not the same because you are not actually changing elevation and fighting gravity. You will improve your leg strength.

Remember too that Orisson is a much shorter walk than the next day up to the peak then down steeply to Roncessvalles. Train for elevation loss too.

One last point: rest when you feel you need to. No shame.

Buen Camino

Orisson shorter but definitely steeper. Armenteira was ok especially as we started that from Combarro.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello! Am wonder if anyone has done both the climb to Armentiera and also the climb to Orrison and can please compare and contrast them? I have done the climb to Armentiera three times and am now considering doing the Frances starting in St. Jean. Thanks so much !!!
I did Francis last year and Armentiera this year. Francis to Orrison much harder ( for me anyway)

For me, I think what made the SJPP —> Orison climb harder was not only its steepness, but also the fact that it was my first day. With all the nervousness, unknowns, and sheer work involved, it seemed extremely difficult. If I had faced it at the end of either Camino, it would have been an entirely different experience (physically) I’m sure. But I do think it is a very awe-inspiring stretch, and I would do it over and over if possible.

I agree with those who say Orison is harder. The day from Orison to Roncesvalle is more similar to the climb to Armentiera. The fact that the two days at the start of the Frances are back-to-back adds to the challenge as does the fact that they are the first two days. All are very doable but take it easy. Book ahead so you aren’t in a rush.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also agree the climb to Orisson is steeper - but it is shorter. I used the Gaia GPS hiking app to track both of my Caminos (Frances in 2023, Portuguese in 2024).

Orisson is about 7.5 km /4.6 miles from St. Jean according to the Wise Pilgrim app; for me Gaia GPS recorded 4.65 miles and an elevation gain for about 2050 feet - but the last two miles was significantly steeper than the previous section.

My walk from Pontevedra to Armenteria was a bit over 14 miles and Gaia GPS recorded an elevation gain of about 1800 feet - less than the shorter trek to Orisson. Again, the second half of that, the last 7 miles, was steeper than the first section.

My point is Orisson will be a steeper walk, especially the last half, but it is not as long.

Be aware that different apps report elevation gain differently, often by significant amounts, so using the same app for two walks provides some comparability, it will not match a different app.

That said, you can make any climb easier by training for elevation gain before you leave. If you do not live near hills or mountains, you can try using a Stair Stepping machine in a gym or elsewhere. It will help, but it's not the same because you are not actually changing elevation and fighting gravity. You will improve your leg strength.

Remember too that Orisson is a much shorter walk than the next day up to the peak then down steeply to Roncessvalles. Train for elevation loss too.

One last point: rest when you feel you need to. No shame.

Buen Camino
Thanks for the numbers, that helps ALOT!! Yes, I was planning on splitting the distance to Roncessvalles into two days. FIrst day, walk to Orisson and either stay there or taxi back to St. Jean.. and next day complete the UP and continue down to Roncessvalles. Best to ease into it!

I went over the Pyrénées in 2019, the first day was SJPP to Orisson.
In 2022, I did the PT (round trip), the spiritual variant both ways. Weirdly, the time walking back was harder, because I was from Arousa to Combarro, so for the last 2 hours downhill, I was already beat from walking around 22ish kms.
I'd say Orisson is steeper, I see others have already weighed in.

It’s funny, because we struggled climbing to Armenteira! However, I think that was mostly the result of it being at the end of a long day of walking. Orisson was steep, but so short that we didn’t have time to feel worn out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just walked to Armenteira last week and found it harder. Could be that I was 20 years younger last time I trekked up to Orisson, plus, I tackled Orission having just come over Somport.

On a serious note, Armenteira is made easier be cause your body has time to adjust to the rigors of walking before you get there. Think seriously about investing some time finding a place to train for the climb, even if it is just taking the stairs every chance you get.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! Am wonder if anyone has done both the climb to Armentiera and also the climb to Orrison and can please compare and contrast them? I have done the climb to Armentiera three times and am now...
Hello. Any recommendations of where to sleep in AArmenteira? Except the municipal Albergue? The monastery i closed for pilgrims at Easter.

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back