• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • October the 12th 2004 I posted the first post here on this forum. 20 years have passed. Thank you for being such a good group of people and for hanging around. More here in this thread. All the best from Santiago, Ivar

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Coastal Portuguese - Porto to Santiago but less distance walking

Michiain

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese - May 2025
My husband and I are planning our first Camino the Coastal Portuguese (or variation of coast and inland) in May/June 2025. Our plan is to start in Porto and finish in Santiago de Compostela but we want to cap our walking to 150-200km max all up due to time constraints (10 days). We want to experience different parts of Coastal and Variant rather than just walk the last 150km to Santiago.
Can anybody recommend how this could work? Which parts we could skip and catch bus or train in between towns from Porto to Santiago?
Any feedback or suggestions welcome

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I walked it, starting in Matosinhos just outside Porto, a French woman and I grabbed a cab on the near end of O Porriño through town and got out on the far side - it had the reputation of being very industrial. So we jumped about 4-5 miles. Then I did the Variante Espiritual, like you want to, and took the boat up the Río Ulla from Vilanova to Padrón, and that substituted for another full day of walking. I did it in 9 days, and it was about 125-140 miles.

Outlined below is an AI generated itinerary without hyperlinks.
Seeking feedback and recommendations based on plan.

Day 1: Porto - Take a bus or train to Vila do Conde (approx. 1 hour by train)
Day 2: Vila do Conde to Apúlia - 18 km (approx. 4.5 hours) - Coastal Route
Day 3: Apúlia to Esposende - 25 km (approx. 6.5 hours) - Coastal Route
Day 4: Esposende to Viana do Castelo - 25.5 km (approx. 6.5 hours) - Coastal Route
Day 5: Viana do Castelo to Baiona - 27 km (approx. 7 hours) - Coastal Route
Day 6: Take a bus from Baiona to Vigo (approx. 30 min)
Day 7: Take a bus or train from Vigo to Pontevedra (approx. 30 min) -
Day 8: Pontevedra to Armenteira - 22 km (approx. 5.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 9: Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa - 13.5 km (approx. 3.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 10: Ferry from Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón (approx. 2 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 11: Padrón to Teo - 20 km (approx. 5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 12: Teo to Santiago de Compostela - 17.5 km (approx. 4.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Total walking distance: Approximately 166 km
This itinerary balances walking and public transportation, covering the Coastal Route and Variante Espiritual while avoiding longer walks in highly urbanized areas.

Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walked it, starting in Matosinhos just outside Porto, a French woman and I grabbed a cab on the near end of O Porriño through town and got out on the far side - it had the reputation of being very industrial. So we jumped about 4-5 miles. Then I did the Variante Espiritual, like you want to, and took the boat up the Río Ulla from Vilanova to Padrón, and that substituted for another full day of walking. I did it in 9 days, and it was about 125-140 miles.
Thanks KariC that is very helpful. Just wondering if you mean 125-140 miles or km's? That is a big difference in distance. Do you use luggage service or carry everything in a pack with you?

Outlined below is an AI generated itinerary without hyperlinks.
Seeking feedback and recommendations based on plan.

Day 4: Esposende to Viana do Castelo - 25.5 km (approx. 6.5 hours) - Coastal Route
Day 6: Take a bus from Baiona to Vigo (approx. 30 min)
Day 7: Take a bus or train from Vigo to Pontevedra (approx. 30 min) -
Day 8: Pontevedra to Armenteira - 22 km (approx. 5.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 9: Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa - 13.5 km (approx. 3.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 10: Ferry from Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón (approx. 2 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 11: Padrón to Teo - 20 km (approx. 5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 12: Teo to Santiago de Compostela - 17.5 km (approx. 4.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Total walking distance: Approximately 166 km
This itinerary balances walking and public transportation, covering the Coastal Route and Variante Espiritual while avoiding longer walks in highly urbanized areas.

Thank you
That will work, although this route will not qualify you for a Compostela. IIRC, you would need to walk from Redondela if you walk the Variante Espiritual to qualify.

That will work, although this route will not qualify you for a Compostela. IIRC, you would need to walk from Redondela if you walk the Variante Espiritual to qualify.
Thanks Doug, we would like to qualify for Compostela. Would this alternative work?
Day 6: Take a bus from Baiona to Redondela (approx. 1.5 hours by bus)
Day 7: Redondela to Armenteira - 22 km (approx. 5.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 8: Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa - 13.5 km (approx. 3.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 9: Ferry from Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón (approx. 2 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 10: Padrón to Teo - 20 km (approx. 5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 11: Teo to Santiago de Compostela - 17.5 km (approx. 4.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Total walking distance: Approximately 168.5 km

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Doug, we would like to qualify for Compostela. Would this alternative work?
Day 7: Redondela to Armenteira - 22 km (approx. 5.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 8: Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa - 13.5 km (approx. 3.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 9: Ferry from Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón (approx. 2 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Day 11: Teo to Santiago de Compostela - 17.5 km (approx. 4.5 hours) - Variante Espiritual
Total walking distance: Approximately 168.5 km
Is it possible to do luggage transfers on this route or need to carry back pack for flexibility?

This is an alternative route. Sorry if too many posts

Day 3: Apúlia to Esposende - 22 km (approx. 6 hours) - Coastal Route
Day 4: Esposende to Viana do Castelo - 22 km (approx. 6 hours) - Coastal Route
Day 5: Viana do Castelo to Baiona - 22 km (approx. 6 hours) - Coastal Route
Total walking distance: Approximately 162 km

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for the replies. Very helpful.
Maybe no to Variant Espiritual and do Central instead after doing some of Coastal?
Open to suggestions and plenty of time to fine tune. But good to have rough plan to research and determine if we can do luggage transfer or carry backpack.

Day 3: Apúlia to Esposende - 22 km (approx. 6 hours) - Coastal Route
Day 4: Esposende to Viana do Castelo - 22 km (approx. 6 hours) - Coastal Route
Day 5: Viana do Castelo to Baiona - 22 km (approx. 6 hours) - Coastal Route
Day 7: Redondela to Pontevedra - 19.5 km (approx. 5 hours) - Central Route
Day 8: Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis - 22 km (approx. 5.5 hours) - Central Route
Day 9: Caldas de Reis to Padrón - 18.5 km (approx. 4.5 hours) - Central Route
Day 10: Padrón to Teo - 10 km (approx. 2.5 hours) - Central Route
Day 11: Teo to Santiago de Compostela - 14.5 km (approx. 3.5 hours) - Central Route
Total walking distance: Approximately 170 km

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Michiain!
Just to confuse you more i did the Coastal Senda and Spiritual in 2021!
Porto is worth a couple of days great place and atmosphere.
The second comment i would make is don't miss the Espiritual Variant it was the icing on the cake of the Camino beautiful walk. Make some space so you can walk Vigo to Santiago to include the variant!
Only my opinion other opinions are available:)
Buen Camino
Woody

Attachments

Hi Michiain!
Just to confuse you more i did the Coastal Senda and Spiritual in 2021!
Porto is worth a couple of days great place and atmosphere.
The second comment i would make is don't miss the Espiritual Variant it was the icing on the cake of the Camino beautiful walk. Make some space so you can walk Vigo to Santiago to include the variant!
Only my opinion other opinions are available:)
Buen Camino
Woody
Thanks Woody appreciate the feedback. Not confusing and very helpful. We have a couple of days in Lisbon and Porto before we start our walk. Looks like it’s back to the drawing board to look at walking from Vigo to Santiago via Espiritual Variant.
I’ve just ordered John Brierley’s Guide to Camino Portuguese so hope that helps

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I was supposed to leave for my Camino in 2 days. I had a terrible fall yesterday (3 broken ribs) and have to reschedule my flight so that I can recoup some of my air fare. I was planning on the...
My husband and I are planning our first Camino the Coastal Portuguese (or variation of coast and inland) in May/June 2025. Our plan is to start in Porto and finish in Santiago de Compostela but we...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back