• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clarification of change in refund of e-tickets on Renfe!

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
Hi, for several years I have posted about buying two tickets on renfe and then canceling the one ticket I did not need in time to get a refund (used to be an hour before departure). This was all done online with elite comfort tickets and sometimes, in addition full 100 percent refund insurance. this was allowed up to an hour before departure! However, Renfe appears to have changed the rules. This no longer appears to be an inexpensive way to be sure you make one of the two trains.

PLEASE Read the current cancellation rules before purchasing e-tickets.

Attachments

• IMG_2724.jpeg
    IMG_2724.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,942
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Most Renfe trains I have ridden have been pretty full. Given your need for assurance, I don't mean to sound too critical, but it does seem somewhat selfish to tie up a seat until the last minute. Ok, hour. Buen Camino
Well in future they’re likely to be just as booked-up, but with some empty but paid-for seats.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
it does seem somewhat selfish to tie up a seat until the last minute

"somewhat selfish"? It is super selfish!
Like those who reserve a bed in albergues in various locations to have "flexibility" in choosing where to sleep, and then cancel their reservation at the last minute (or sometimes don't). Those beds remain empty, albergue owners lose money and pilgrims who need those beds are forced to look for expensive alternatives.
Selfish, very selfish.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Whatever one thinks about the practice I described, I paid, sometimes 30 percent of what the ticket cost, so it often was not a freebie. In addition I paid for the insurance on the ticket! It was their business model. It is hardly comparable, to booking an albergue without cost ahead of time and then canceling the last minute!

But more importantly, I posted the change in cancellation practice, because I have received “thank you” messages from others who have had overseas flights and adopted the two train reservation method and wanted to alert them for future Renfe reservations that their refund practice needs to be reviewed.

Personally, I will still buy two tickets but likely opt for a basic ticket on the one ticket which I am less likely to catch. And I will still cancel the unused ticket at my cost to allow someone else to purchase it before departure.

Last edited:
I've missed a few trains in my time. I've always asked at the station if I can be rebooked, more than once with a non flexible ticket and as often as not, not the railway's fault. I've sometimes had to pay the difference between trains or type of ticket but never the full replacement cost. Ask nicely and good things happen.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've missed a few trains in my time. I've always asked at the station if I can be rebooked, more than once with a non flexible ticket and as often as not, not the railway's fault. I've sometimes had to pay the difference between trains or type of ticket but never the full replacement cost. Ask nicely and good things happen.
If there is capacity why not ask…. but often during high season trains are sold out and lines are long at Chamartin. As long as one is aware of the current rules, one can take their chances if they so wish! Personally, after along transatlantic flight, I prefer a train ticket that I am at least 90 percent sure I will make and if that requires two reservations, so be it.

If there is capacity why not ask…. but often during high season trains are sold out and lines are long at Chamartin. As long as one is aware of the current rules, one can take their chances if they so wish! Personally, after along transatlantic flight, I prefer a train ticket that I am at least 90 percent sure I will make and if that requires two reservations, so be it.
Fair enough, but why not just book the later train? It's not as if there is usually only one a day (or twice a week, on some services in exotic places). If you are on time it gives you a chance for something to eat and maybe a shower. And why join a queue when you can sit down and book/change booking on your phone?

Fair enough, but why not just book the later train? It's not as if there is usually only one a day (or twice a week, on some services in exotic places). If you are on time it gives you a chance for something to eat and maybe a shower. And why join a queue when you can sit down and book/change booking on your phone?
If my connections work perfectly I connect (first train) with another train to my destination. If not, there is no connnecting train with thesecond departure, so we then have to wait several hours for another connection, or walk to get a bus, and still wait. Don’t want to do that if we can avoid it. To each her own! My sister is 84 and will be up all night on the transatlantic flight. So, I Want to make the one connections as simple as possible. I have also heard pilgrims who sat for half a day waiting at the train station, unable to get their ticket changed or there were no seats until the next day.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If my connections work perfectly I connect (first train) with another train to my destination. If not, there is no connnecting train with thesecond departure, so we then have to wait several hours for another connection, or walk to get a bus, and still wait. Don’t want to do that if we can avoid it. To each her own! My sister is 84 and will be up all night on the transatlantic flight. So, I Want to make the one connections as simple as possible. I have also heard pilgrims who sat for half a day waiting at the train station, unable to get their ticket changed or there were no seats until the next day.
84 and walking a Camino after a long flight! Wow, good for her, and you can't be a teenager either. I hope your trains connect and all goes well.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back