• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chemin de Saint Jacque, from Paris??

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances,
2019 C. Portuguese (inland).
In about a week’s time I’ll be starting my fifth Camino from Le Puy en Velay, however, I’m interested to know if anyone in this forum has started their Camino from Paris ….. to Saint Jean Pied de Port. If so, I’d love to know if the route is well marked and easy to follow, if pilgrim accommodation is available along the way and if it’s worth doing actually. Just curious.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I loved, loved the Via Podiensis! My friends and I started in Le Puy and walked to Auvillar. We took a train from Figeac to visit Rocamadour and back for a day. We also walked the Cele Variant. This Camino was a wonderful highlight and a nice change from Spain in architecture and food. We stayed the majority in gites with demi-pension, so can't help regarding albergues. The terrain and architecture was outstanding. You are not making a mistake...go!

In addition to what Camino Chrissy wrote in the above post be sure to check out the other entries in the forum section Other Routes in France.

Check this recent thread re walking from Paris to Santiago.

From a Belgian site check out this page and aim for Massy the first day. Massy is 18 km. from Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. The Belgian site offers invaluable info re walking/stopping from Paris south. Do explore the other links on that site.

THIS is also useful for walking to Massy.

Here is a thread from a pilgrim who walked from Paris in 2022.

Do be aware of the donativo Chaîne d'Hospitalité Locale.Those who offer pilgrims such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting/helping pilgrims.
During past easier years my husband and I ran a b&b/pilgrim house in our farmhouse facing the Marne river as part of the local Chaine. My first pilgrim shell hung at the door marking it as a pilgrim place.

However/wherever you do walk,
Bon chemin!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, when all is said and done, I think I have left it too late. Here I am in Paris and I doubt that I’ll find the map and guide book that I might need to start from here. I’ll try but I’m not holding my breath. I doubt that there is much demand, I don’t imagine there’s many who start from Paris. In any event, Le Puy en Velay is just as good a place as any to start my 5th Camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bonjour @Lexicos

The 'Amis de Compostelle, France" have an office in Paris - a 2 km walk from the Tour de St Jacques. They welcome pilgrims from Monday to Saturday. If one turns up in person, there is a credencial and booklet available. I seem to remember there being guide books for sale as well.

Address: 8 bis rue Jean-Bart, 75006 Paris

Opening hours: 2pm to 6 pm, Monday -Saturday.

Bon chemin!

Last edited:
I did, but that was in 1994, so my experiences are about 30 years out of date, certainly as to waymarking and current accommodation !!

It is a very beautiful Way, and probably the easiest, physically, of the Major routes.

Increasingly, I tend to encourage pilgrims to walk Paris > Chartres > Orléans > Loire Valley > Tours.

The walk into Chartres is 100% pure Camino magic ; and yet the Loire valley route is easy recreational hiking at its very best. So why not just do both !!

The 'Amis de Compostelle, France" have an office in Paris - a 2 km walk from the Tour de St Jacques. They welcome pilgrims from Monday to Saturday. If one turns up in person, there is a credencial and booklet available.
The Parisian credencial is very beautiful. Three of them glued together should be quite enough for a Camino from Paris, as they are double-sided.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did, but that was in 1994, so my experiences are about 30 years out of date, certainly as to waymarking and current accommodation !!

It is a very beautiful Way, and probably the easiest, physically, of the Major routes.

Increasingly, I tend to encourage pilgrims to walk Paris > Chartres > Orléans > Loire Valley > Tours.

The walk into Chartres is 100% pure Camino magic ; and yet the Loire valley route is easy recreational hiking at its very best. So why not just do both !!
I will have to leave it for another day Jabba, and maybe for when I’m not walking solo. If it’s poorly marked I’d be the first one to get lost! Also, the idea was an afterthought and I simply didn’t have enough time to research and prepare. But I will. I want to do it one time. Your description tells me it’s definitely worthwhile.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.