• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cercanías line closed from Madrid Airport to Chamartín train station till October

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thanks so much to @Varekai who posted this information in another thread.

The options left for those who don’t want to take a cab and who want to get to either Atocha or Chamartín train station from the airport are now:

1. To Chamartín

- Renfe will have a shuttle every 20 minutes. It will leave from T4, presumably from near the regular Cercanías station, but I haven’t seen details. I think it is a shuttle bus, though I have seen a youtube that says it is a shuttle train. In any event, websites say there are signs plastered everywhere.

- Metro is still available, but I don’t like that option. I love the Madrid metro, but the lines from the airport are filled with pickpockets, and when you’re jetlagged you are a real target.

2. To Atocha
-You can take that Renfe shuttle to Chamartín and then transfer on the Cercanías to Atocha. I think this may be stressful and confusing, because Chamartín is undergoing a lot of construction and is kind of a mess.

- Take the Express bus that Janet and Phil recommend. They have had consistently good experiences on it. All information here.

https://www.emtmadrid.es/Aeropuerto

Thanks again, @Varekai, and further updates from those traveling in the upcoming weeks would be very welcome!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Two weeks ago I took an Uber from Chamartin to an airport hotel near terminal 1 and it cost less than 18 euros. I thought it would be a lot more. I had planned on taking the metro but I arrived in Madrid later than expected.

Thanks again, @Varekai, and further updates from those traveling in the upcoming weeks would be very welcome!
Thank you for posting this!! Hopefully @Varekai or someone can help those of us leaving soon up-to-date on how to catch our trains. Or, perhaps, we can go to Renfe's website.... I'll take a look.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

I arrive in Madrid the morning of October 9. Hope the train is running. I have used the bus before and it is also comfortable and nice and a good price.

Thank you for posting this!! Hopefully @Varekai or someone can help those of us leaving soon up-to-date on how to catch our trains. Or, perhaps, we can go to Renfe's website.... I'll take a look.
I have done some more searching and am frustrated to see that some websites refer to a “shuttle train” and others to a “shuttle bus” that will take people from T4 at the airport to Chamartín. But I have seen many references to the fact that there are lots of signs to direct travelers. I think what I would do on arrival is follow signs for Cercanías (after baggage claim you take an elevator down to the station) and then hope for more information. In my experience, there are always employees at the turnstiles and ticket machines, so I am virtually certain that at a time like this there will be people to help you.

The term for shuttle in Spanish is “lanzadera” and I think that by saying “lanzadera Chamartín” you will find people to help you.

If anyone has better search capabilities and can find more specific information about this shuttle, or if anyone has actually taken this shuttle, I’m sure it would help forum members.

How much is the typical taxi fare from the Madrid airport to Atocha train station?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Thanks for the info ! It’s a great help ! 30/8 we arrive at Madrid airport and from Charmartín we take the train to Palencia for the camino Lebaniejo Castellano !

Rickcrna, the current taxi fare from the airport to anywhere downtown Madrid is 33 euros. It is a set fare. Four people with backpacks can fit in one taxi. Quick and easy. Buen Camino

Thank you. I think we’ll just take a taxi to Atocha and skip the other options. Sometimes when traveling, taking the most convenient mode even if more costly can be well worth it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If anyone has better search capabilities and can find more specific information about this shuttle, or if anyone has actually taken this shuttle, I’m sure it would help forum members.

I will look around for more info in three weeks when I will be at Madrid airport. Though I willl take a taxi to Chamartin just to be on the safe side.

According to this article, there will be a shuttle train service on the C1/C10 Cercanias line between the T4 airport and Chamartin stations running every 20 minutes until October 5, with ample signage and audio announcements at the affected stations, although I'm not sure if they will be in English as well as Spanish.

So if your destination is Chamartin, then this shuttle train should be fine to use. But if you were planning on taking the Cercanias to Atocha, Principe Pio, or pretty much anywhere else, you would then need to transfer at Chamartin to a proper Cercanias train. Chamartin itself is undergoing a lot of improvement work at the moment, so the station probably doesn't look like it normally does. The Airport Express bus for 5 euros to Atocha is a very good alternative.

The options left for those who don’t want to take a cab and who want to get to either Atocha or Chamartín train station from the airport are now:

1. To Chamartín

- Renfe will have a shuttle every 20 minutes. It will leave from T4, presumably from near the regular Cercanías station, but I haven’t seen details. I think it is a shuttle bus, though I have seen a youtube that says it is a shuttle train. In any event, websites say there are signs plastered everywhere.

- Metro is still available, but I don’t like that option. I love the Madrid metro, but the lines from the airport are filled with pickpockets, and when you’re jetlagged you are a real target.

2. To Atocha
-You can take that Renfe shuttle to Chamartín and then transfer on the Cercanías to Atocha. I think this may be stressful and confusing, because Chamartín is undergoing a lot of construction and is kind of a mess.

- Take the Express bus that Janet and Phil recommend. They have had consistently good experiences on it. All information here.

https://www.emtmadrid.es/Aeropuerto

Hi ,
As far as I know, Renfe continues the train service to Chamartin - based on www.crtm.es : "From July 6 to October 5, due to improvement works at Chamartín station, trains on lines C1 and C10 will end their journey at this station. There will be a shuttle service from Chamartín to Aeropuerto T-4 with a frequency of 20 minutes, stopping at Fuente de la Mora and Valdebebas."
And the Google maps info:1723836761386.png

Varekai was quicker ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Has any forum member had first hand experience with the lanzadera/shuttle bus from T4 to Chamartín?
Arriving at Madrid airport we took the bus from T1 to T4. Then we buy a ticket (3,20 euro) for the train to Chamarrtin that goes every 15’.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We took the train 30/8 at 12h45
Well, that is totally crazy. I still see all the announcements about the closure on the internet, and this is from Renfe’s own website:

Por obras de mejora en Chamartín desde el 6 de julio hasta el 5 de octubre, los trenes de líneas C-1 y C-10 finalizan en la estación de Chamartín. Habrá lanzaderas desde Chamartín hasta el Aeropuerto T-4.

(Due to construction at Chamartín, from July 6 till Oct.5, the C-1 and C-10 lines will end at the Chamartín station. There will be shuttles from Chamartín to T4 at the airport.)

Did you see any signs of construction or anything, @chrisje?

Has any forum member had first hand experience with the lanzadera/shuttle bus from T4 to Chamartín?
Yes, I have, on August 28th I took the cercanías train from Chamartín to T4 terminal at the airport. The schedule of those trains from Chamartín to the airport seems to have not been affected. They leave as usual every 15 or 20 minutes, although from a somewhat hidden platform 12 in Chamartín (at least it was not platform 9¾), and in my case it was the first time I traveled on a double-decker cercanías train.

Those who want to travel from the airport T4 beyond Chamartín will have to transfer to another cercanías train at Chamartín (no need to buy a new ticket)

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Well, that is totally crazy. I still see all the announcements about the closure on the internet, and this is from Renfe’s own website:

Por obras de mejora en Chamartín desde el 6 de julio hasta el 5 de octubre, los trenes de líneas C-1 y C-10 finalizan en la estación de Chamartín. Habrá lanzaderas desde Chamartín hasta el Aeropuerto T-4.

(Due to construction at Chamartín, from July 6 till Oct.5, the C-1 and C-10 lines will end at the Chamartín station. There will be shuttles from Chamartín to T4 at the airport.)

Did you see any signs of construction or anything, @chrisje?
There are certainly works and the train stops in Chamartin. If you will go to Atocha of Principio Pio you have to switch to a bus or train.

Other point on the camino Lebaniejo Castellano is that the albergue Esperanza de Sagrada Familia in Melgar Fernamental (booked by booking.com and paid !!) has closed since april. We had to take a taxi to Herrera de Pisguera because the only hostal Leo was complete and the alb muni is only for groups. We split the etappa from Osorno La Mayor to Herrera because in Melgar you have the biggest lock on the Canal the Castilla witch we want to see.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back