• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Celtic Camino part two to Santiago.

Kbola

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
I am in a group trip in early September to walk Declan’s Way in Ireland. Even though the walk is 85 kms, only 25 kms count toward the Santiago Camino. I am ok as I am 76 and it averages about 15-18 kms for 5 days. I did this on purpose as I feel walking 24-25 kms is too much for me.

However, my goal is Santiago. I haven’t been able to find guided tours from ACoruna to Santiago. If I could find one, I might finish the last 75 kms after the other walk in Ireland.

Also, because I will have started with the Irish Camino am I required only to finish as part of Camino Ingles or could I join another group tour elsewhere?

Thanks,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This page from Camino Society Ireland says that you have to restart your Camino from A Coruña:

But you don't need to travel with any group to complete your Camino. Many of us do the Camino solo.

All that matters to get your Compostela is the correct sequence stamps on your credencial - two per day as you are already in your last 100km.

The Ingles from A Coruna is easily followed and can be done in short stages. I had the Brierley guidebook which like others suggests the route is walked over 3 days. I took 6 days, though had to stay in hotels on two nights. It's a beautiful walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As others have said, you don't need a tour company to organise this for you.

You'll find lots of information about distances and accommodation on Gronze. This will help you to plan a trip that suits your needs and ability, rather than a 'ready-made' one.

You can also read other people's experiences and itineraries on this forum. I find that invaluable when researching a route for the first time.

Happy Planning and Buen Camino!

As a general rule, pilgrims doing the Celtic or Irish Camino usually walk the first 25 - 30 km in Ireland, then travel to A' Coruña - typically by boat or plane. From there, they travel to the A' Coruña seaport, and turn to walk the remaining 75 or so km to Santiago. The document mentioned above form the Irish Pilgrim Society should contain all this information.

If you came by ferry, starting from the ferry dock is appropriate. Otherwise, you need to get to the port from the airport. You can obtain sello or stamps at most any business. They ALL have backup rubber stamps, required by law, to be used in case the electronic register goes down, and receipts have to be hand-issued.

Hope this helps.

Tom

As a general rule, pilgrims doing the Celtic or Irish Camino usually walk the first 25 - 30 km in Ireland, then travel to A' Coruña - typically by boat or plane. From there, they travel to the A' Coruña seaport, and turn to walk the remaining 75 or so km to Santiago. The document mentioned above form the Irish Pilgrim Society should contain all this information.

If you came by ferry, starting from the ferry dock is appropriate. Otherwise, you need to get to the port from the airport. You can obtain sello or stamps at most any business. They ALL have backup rubber stamps, required by law, to be used in case the electronic register goes down, and receipts have to be hand-issued.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom, you would know the answer to this. The OP appears to be from Connecticut, but is walking the first 25km in Ireland for a compostela then adding the distance from A Coruna. Question: as a US citizen can I walk the first 25 in Ireland (many great grandparents from Ireland) and still qualify for a compostela rather than walking 25 here in the US. Thanks for your input, always appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am in a group trip in early September to walk Declan’s Way in Ireland.

Be sure to come and visit us at the Irish Camino Society Office at St. James Church when you come to Dublin! It will be open in September on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays between 10:30am and 3:30pm. Along with a warm welcome, you'll get all the info you need regarding the Celtic Caminos and the Camino Ingles from A Coruña (which they're specifically associated with) including credencials, guide books etc..

Edited to add: I hope you bring some decent weather with you, a bit of sunshine wouldn't go amiss here!

Last edited:
Tom, you would know the answer to this. The OP appears to be from Connecticut, but is walking the first 25km in Ireland for a compostela then adding the distance from A Coruna. Question: as a US citizen can I walk the first 25 in Ireland (many great grandparents from Ireland) and still qualify for a compostela rather than walking 25 here in the US. Thanks for your input, always appreciated.
I am not Tom. I can still answer the question you pose. Of course you can, and you may. (Forgive the old fashioned teacher, there is a difference between can and may).
The above poster has said it better than I could. Hope to meet you in the office! Just have your credential, get it stamped along the way, including in libraries, police stations, pubs - and even if you have few stamps, we are good at detecting true stories of the camino from Bray!

Yes, of course. Nationality has nothing to do with Compostela eligibility.

Visit the Camino Society of Ireland, at: https://www.caminosociety.ie/ for more information.

Here is the direct link to information about the Celtic Camino: https://www.caminosociety.ie/celtic-camino-v2

The complete rules and instructions can be found there. Nationality has NOTHING to do with it.

Hope this helps - Buen Camino!

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The OP appears to be from Connecticut, but is walking the first 25km in Ireland for a compostela then adding the distance from A Coruna.
I'm not Tom either.
But I did this as a not-Irish person, easily and successfully - walking first in Cork (St Finbarr's Way) and then from A Coruña.

@Kbola , it's really not hard to do this without a tour. As suggested above, just pop into the Irish Camino Society office, and they can tell you any- and everything you need to know.

Yes, of course. Nationality has nothing to do with Compostela eligibility.

Visit the Camino Society of Ireland, at: https://www.caminosociety.ie/ for more information.

Here is the direct link to information about the Celtic Camino: https://www.caminosociety.ie/celtic-camino-v2

The complete rules and instructions can be found there. Nationality has NOTHING to do with it.

Hope this helps - Buen Camino!

Tom
Thank you for the information about the celtic camino. I understand that a compostela can be received walking from A Coruna if one has first walked 25km walked in their home country. My home country is the US, but I would like to walk in Ireland for the first 25km. Is that acceptable to the Pilgrims' office? My question didn't have to do with nationality as much as where the first 25 has to be walked. It is very difficult to find walking routes here that can be verified.Thank you for all the knowledge you bring here.
:) 🍷 🥾

Most read last week in this forum

I am in a group trip in early September to walk Declan’s Way in Ireland. Even though the walk is 85 kms, only 25 kms count toward the Santiago Camino. I am ok as I am 76 and it averages about...
Hello. I will be walking the Camino Ingles this September. I hope to arrive in Pontedeume very early afternoon and was interested in visiting Caaveiro Monastery. I understand that it is several...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back