• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Unconference - December 2024

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
I'm starting to think about organizing a Camino de Santiago Unconference.

"What is an unconference?", you ask. An unconference is a participant-driven event. Instead of having conference organizers decide the topics of discussion, arrange for speakers, and have the participants come and listen, in an unconference the people attending choose the topics and do the talking. The organizers provide the framework and organization. Generally, it looks something like this: There is a grid of times and places. People propose topics of discussion related to the theme of the event (in the case, the Camino de Santiago). In making a proposal they agree to facilitate a discussion on that topic at a time and place in that grid. Note that this is different from giving a talk. The talking is done by those that show up to that session. People can go from discussion group to discussion group and listen or participate. The rule is that if you are not participating or learning, you move on to a different topic discussion. It's like those conversations in the halls at regular conferences, but on steroids. Traditionally, unconferences are in-person events but in the last few years we are seeing more of them online, using the virtual meeting technologies that came to the fore with the pandemic.

I expect that it would look something like this:
Over summer, early fall, a some of us get together to organize. Prepare communications, etc. Maybe come up with a few icebreaker activities that can be done virtually. Maybe solicit a handful of Lightning Talks (3 minutes, no slides) for the start to get people energized and warmed up. Maybe we will solicit volunteers to take notes of the discussions, or maybe we will decide to record them, or maybe we will leave it up to the individual session facilitators (some topics may get personal and people won't want to be recorded).
- Sometime in the early fall, registration would open up and people can register to attend
- a few weeks before the event, we look at how many people have registered and determine how many simultaneous discussion spaces we want. I'm thinking about one per ten attendees we expect. Then we can create the grid as a Google Doc or Sheet. Each cell gets a Google Meet link (unless we come up with a better technology). In general, I've found 45 minute sessions work fairly well, with 5 minutes between, but I'm open to discussion on this. That would enable about 5 different time slots.
- Google meet links are also made for plenary sessions (with everyone) at the beginning and end.
- A week or two before the event, this is shared with the registered participants for them to propose topics in particular time slots. The grid is filled.
- On the day of the event, it starts with an introduction and welcome, a bit about what an unconference is, and the rules of the event. Perhaps a warm up activity or two and a handful of 3 minute lightning talks. Then we are into the sessions as determined by the grid. People who have sessions in the grid will facilitate a discussion at the virtual meeting link in their cell in the grid.
- At the end of the event, we gather together again for a close out and thank yous. One thing that has worked well is for each person to share one thing they learned at the event.

I was going to aim for November for this, but I think I'll be walking the Camino Torres and the Geira e dos Arrieiras in November so now I am thinking first half of December,

I've organized or helped in the organization of several unconferences, including one virtual one. This will be my first on a global scale, though.

If anyone would like to participate in organizing this event, please let me know.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As someone who did a lot of Zooms during covid on different caminos, and who also participated in several very detailed forum planning threads during covid for various caminos, I am always up to try new methods of communicating with each other about the Camino(s). I have no experience with unconferences, but I have a lot of experience with conferences. I am happy to learn and participate.

As far as dates go, I think that early 2025 is better than early December, because many of us have very full plates during the month of December.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

"What is an unconference?", you ask. An unconference is a participant-driven event. Instead of having conference organizers decide the topics of discussion, arrange for speakers, and have the participants come and listen, in an unconference the people attending choose the topics and do the talking. The organizers provide the framework and organization. Generally, it looks something like this: There is a grid of times and places. People propose topics of discussion related to the theme of the event (in the case, the Camino de Santiago). In making a proposal they agree to facilitate a discussion on that topic at a time and place in that grid. Note that this is different from giving a talk. The talking is done by those that show up to that session. People can go from discussion group to discussion group and listen or participate. The rule is that if you are not participating or learning, you move on to a different topic discussion. It's like those conversations in the halls at regular conferences, but on steroids. Traditionally, unconferences are in-person events but in the last few years we are seeing more of them online, using the virtual meeting technologies that came to the fore with the pandemic.

Over summer, early fall, a some of us get together to organize. Prepare communications, etc. Maybe come up with a few icebreaker activities that can be done virtually. Maybe solicit a handful of Lightning Talks (3 minutes, no slides) for the start to get people energized and warmed up. Maybe we will solicit volunteers to take notes of the discussions, or maybe we will decide to record them, or maybe we will leave it up to the individual session facilitators (some topics may get personal and people won't want to be recorded).
- Sometime in the early fall, registration would open up and people can register to attend
- a few weeks before the event, we look at how many people have registered and determine how many simultaneous discussion spaces we want. I'm thinking about one per ten attendees we expect. Then we can create the grid as a Google Doc or Sheet. Each cell gets a Google Meet link (unless we come up with a better technology). In general, I've found 45 minute sessions work fairly well, with 5 minutes between, but I'm open to discussion on this. That would enable about 5 different time slots.
- Google meet links are also made for plenary sessions (with everyone) at the beginning and end.
- A week or two before the event, this is shared with the registered participants for them to propose topics in particular time slots. The grid is filled.
- On the day of the event, it starts with an introduction and welcome, a bit about what an unconference is, and the rules of the event. Perhaps a warm up activity or two and a handful of 3 minute lightning talks. Then we are into the sessions as determined by the grid. People who have sessions in the grid will facilitate a discussion at the virtual meeting link in their cell in the grid.
- At the end of the event, we gather together again for a close out and thank yous. One thing that has worked well is for each person to share one thing they learned at the event.

I was going to aim for November for this, but I think I'll be walking the Camino Torres and the Geira e dos Arrieiras in November so now I am thinking first half of December,

I've organized or helped in the organization of several unconferences, including one virtual one. This will be my first on a global scale, though.

If anyone would like to participate in organizing this event, please let me know.
Sign me up! And put me to work! I love this idea and would enthusiastically assist to make it happen!!!

You obviously have too much time on your hands. Maybe you should try gardening. It’s a full-time job.😂😂😂😂 I’m just kidding. I have no idea what you’re talking about and it sounds like a lot of work. I’m all about easy Peezy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Possibly I can assist too; depending on dates. Please keep me in mind!

You obviously have too much time on your hands. Maybe you should try gardening. It’s a full-time job.😂😂😂😂 I’m just kidding. I have no idea what you’re talking about and it sounds like a lot of work. I’m all about easy Peezy.
Speaking from experience, there is significantly less work in organizing an unconference than organizing a conference. The "un" takes a lot of work off your hands.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting to think about organizing a Camino de Santiago Unconference. "What is an unconference?", you ask. An unconference is a participant-driven event. Instead of having conference...
Dear All, on Jun 12th I started my pilgrimage on Via Scandinavica, from Lubeck to Eisenach. My idea initially was to go finally to Santiago, but… This route seems to be little travelled, because I...
From Irish Times, 6th July, 2024 Pilgrim paths Tourists are coming from far and wide to walk the 115km-long St Declan’s Way between Cashel in Co Tipperary and Ardmore in Co Waterford Finding...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.