• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • Dear all, Tuesday morning (Santigo time) we will be upgrading the forum to a new version. This means that we will be offline for an hour or so. This will be so for the app and for the website. Thank you for your patience. Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Reino de Aragon

davejsy

Walked the Camino Francés for SSD UK 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 sept/Oct
Primitivo July 2024
I did a search on the forum, and couldn't find anything related to this Camino? Anyone any ideas? Photo from today near Monasterio de San Juan de la Pena.
20241006_155536.JPG

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
More info here. You can drive of course but it is a walking route.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The stages are surely the Cami Catala via Huesca rather than Lleida?

Edit: this is actually the Cami Catala as we know it. Regional sensitivities again - Reino de Aragon is what they call it in Aragon. The Vasco Interior similarly changes it names as it crosses the border into Castilla y léon.

Last edited:
It looks like a walking route; see the distances, times and the label GR 17. I don't remember seeing signs like this on my 2019 Camino Catalan and a quick image search shows awfully new looking signs. After reading the webpage below it appears to me to be an alternate path to the Camino Catalan from San Juan to Berbegal and then onwards to Zaragoza. It also appears to be primarily a north/south route (or vice versa) rather than the Catalan's east to west route.

¨continuación del camino de Sant Jaume, que se inicia en el Monasterio de Montserrat (Barcelona). Tras atravesar la provincia de este a oeste, se une al Camino Francés en Santa Cilia de Jaca.¨

I checked the stages, they are almost precisely our stages earlier this year from Huesca to Santa Cilia, we even stayed in some of the albergues featured in the website Sabsp provided, so it is definitely the Catalan - notice how the blurb describes as a ´continuation´ of the way of ´Sant Jaume´, Catalan for Santiago, starting in Monserrat and finishing in Santa Cilia. Recently, the Aragonese regional government seem to have taken an interest in publicising this route. They have put in new signage (those yellow signs are visible all the way) and marked the route, somewhat to the apparent annoyance of local associations who don´t seem to have been consulted and have responded with big new yellow arrows showing where they think it should go. Relabelling it ´Reino de Aragón´ is part of the campaign to promote the region.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Okay Dick, I spent a lot of time exploring Spain this morning from my couch. I agree with you. I was getting confused with what I previously discovered about the GR 17. What I found was the southern end of the 17 was Berbegal which is also on the Camino Catalan. Mapy.cz didn't show any GR 17 labels past Berbegal. I suspect that along with the creating a new name change for the Catalan where it goes through Aragon the Camino going west from Berbegal became an extension of the GR 17 (or at least marked as such) and the Camino going east became the GR 17-1.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am posting this having just completed the Burgos to Ponferrada leg of Camino Frances. This would take my Camino mileage up to around 1,300km over a few shorter trips, so while I would...
I am convinced that if I ever manage to invent air-conditioned underwear or truly waterproof gear for the Camino that keeps you dry, I will become a millionaire. Today, I walked in heavy rain from...
Greetings! I was on my way, striding down the French Road, not so long ago. My attention turned to the litter, the garbage, that is scattered along the edge of the path, or bordering the...
Hi, y’all! I’ll be hiking Sarria to the end of the CF route in the last week of October. I’ve heard sometimes the albergues are closed along this path. Has anyone known this to be the case...
Have you walked the Le Puy to SJPP? I’m curious—how many days did it take you? Did you take any rest days along the way? After that, did you continue on the Camino Frances? If so, how many days...
Hi everyone, I have decided last minute, to walk the Portgues Route from Porto to Santiago (Coastal Route) in the beginning of November. Does anyone have any experience with the weather around...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back