• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese from Huelva and... with a Cat

JustOneGuy

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2024: GR130, Apr 25: Camino Primitivo?
Good morning everyone!

I am planning to do the Portuguese camino in September/October by ebike. And on foot, together with my partner, in April 2025.

I live in La Palma, Canary Islands, so I was planning to take the ferry to Huelva (Atlantic side of Spgna, just south of Portugal) with my ebike, go to Lisbon by bike and then do the Portuguese camino to Santiago.

My ebike is an EMTB “pedelec” European regulations, good brand, with real range up to 70-100 km. I generally ride with minimal assistance to conserve energy, so I ride slow. I am also of a certain age so I have absolutely no desire to ride.

I wanted to ask a few questions to those who have already tried it.

1) is the route all doable by bike or are there sections excluded to bike circulation

2) once in the hostel, where can you safely leave it? Are there generally protected areas where you can chain them up?

3) is it possible in hostels to have access to a power outlet for charging the battery, perhaps by paying something?

4) This question is a bit whimsical... but I have a logistical problem to solve: I have a cat, my wife won't be there at that time as she works abroad part of the year, and so I'm not sure if I can leave him with someone, so I was thinking of buying a trolley, attach it to the ebike, and putting him there. He's used to travel by car and on long road trips, but I haven't tried the bike yet. In case (hope not!), is it possible to access hostels (maybe private ones) with a... well behaved cat? And are bikes with a light trolley able to pass on the coastal Portuguese Camino?

5) and last one: has someone of you ever tried to go from Huelva to Lisbon by bike? Any suggestion?

Thanks to anyone who has read all this and has the will and knowledge to give me some answers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't know if question number four is a joke question, but I imagine a cat being trundled along on a trolley, would attract the attention of lots and lots of friendly dogs. Meals on wheels come to mind. Might be better to figure a way of leaving him behind. Regarding accomodation, cat friendly places might prove tricky to find.

Mind you, I think the other pilgrims might prefer to listen to a cat meowing all night outside, than a dog barking and whining..

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
@JustOneGuy, welcome to the forum.

Zero experience with either bike or cat on Camino, but I certainly love the later idea. I know several YouTubers take their cat’s everywhere with them.
Some just have a special sitting platform that the cat sits on, others a basket- both front and rear mounted. And yes, some in trailers. Those that tour with them generally seem to camp, but I recall seeing at least one that had the cat in his room.

There’s a famous cat, Rastus, that tour’s NZ with his rider- by motorcycle.

I think that, just like those that walk with their dog, you would simply have to contact accommodation directly. Create a simple generic email / WhatsApp Message.
I have no idea idea about the regulatory aspects- if any.

I appreciate that you’ve taken your cat on car trips, but is he lead trained ? Just like with a dog, you won’t be able to let him freely range - not only for safety, but also in accommodation - allergies.

All that said, perhaps you might be better with a cat sitter?

I believe @JoEllen rode the Portuguese with an ebike last year, I’m sure there are others.

Good luck, and Bom Caminho!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
You probably already know this, but you can't get a Compostela in Santiago if you are riding an eBIKE.
My understanding from previous posts on this forum was that Compostelas are available to riders of ebikes as long as the ebikes are "pedal assist" and not entirely propelled without human involvement. Since OP rides with "minimal assistance" I assume that most of the propulsion is from the pilgrim and it would thus qualify. I am ready for correction by pilgrim office volunteers, though.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you - and your cat - would enjoy the experience more if the cat stayed in a cattery.

Before seeing the light and adopting Henry the (actual) dog my wife and I had a succession of cats; often multiple.

Their only relevant characteristic in the context of this question is that they are territorial and (although there are exceptions) don’t react well to being relocated.

I have seen many dogs on Camino - most happy, although their owners often looked stressed. One cat, in some kind of wheel-mounted cat carrier similar to the things which total nutters transport toy-dog-baby-substitutes in; and a parrot. The owner had a perch on top of their sack which the bird returned to. Where they slept I have no idea.

My understanding from previous posts on this forum was that Compostelas are available to riders of ebikes as long as the ebikes are "pedal assist" and not entirely propelled without human involvement. Since OP rides with "minimal assistance" I assume that most of the propulsion is from the pilgrim and it would thus qualify. I am ready for correction by pilgrim office volunteers, though.
I think you are absolutely correct, but I suspect it is verified about as rigorously as are the motives of those who tick the ‘religious’ box before collecting a compostela.

You probably already know this, but you can't get a Compostela in Santiago if you are riding an eBIKE.

This old thing🙄...

You can, as long as you lie about it. You can easily get one by deception by arriving on a bus too, with a few spurious stamps. Staff and volunteers do their best, though they aren't infallible. But at the end of the day, who is the deluded fool standing outside the Pilgrims Office smiling at his piece of paper? Truth be told, he fools many, but none more than himself. But who cares..

The cat will make life difficult. Many albergues and hostales do not allow pets. I also suspect your cat will not enjoy the experience as much as you will.

I think so.. a dog will walk (or get wheeled) to the end of the Earth for it's master, but cats are independent creatures and won't care if their owner's gone away, as long as there's a food supply.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@JustOneGuy, welcome to the forum.

Zero experience with either bike or cat on Camino, but I certainly love the later idea. I know several YouTubers take their cat’s everywhere with them.
Some just have a special sitting platform that the cat sits on, others a basket- both front and rear mounted. And yes, some in trailers. Those that tour with them generally seem to camp, but I recall seeing at least one that had the cat in his room.

There’s a famous cat, Rastus, that tour’s NZ with his rider- by motorcycle.

I think that, just like those that walk with their dog, you would simply have to contact accommodation directly. Create a simple generic email / WhatsApp Message.
I have no idea idea about the regulatory aspects- if any.

I appreciate that you’ve taken your cat on car trips, but is he lead trained ? Just like with a dog, you won’t be able to let him freely range - not only for safety, but also in accommodation - allergies.

All that said, perhaps you might be better with a cat sitter?

I believe @JoEllen rode the Portuguese with an ebike last year, I’m sure there are others.

Good luck, and Bom Caminho!
thanks for taking point 5 point 4 seriously!... :)

Actually yes, my cat is lead trained since he was a kitten, and the fact that is a Norwegian Forest, with a very dog-like character, helps, otherwise I would never ever think about bringing it with me. It also has a cat gps on his neck all the time when outdoor for safety, just in case he get free during our journeys together. However, it is clear that this is a no-go due to the difficulties of finding an accommodation.

I am sorry however that the cat-question took most of the attention... I thank everyone for the advices but please help me with the other points.

Last edited:
thanks, I missed this discussion, I will look more careful into this.

My eBike - the only two-wheel I have - is a EU legal pedelec. And I do not want to lie. Also, I am not religious, actually I am an atheist-agnostic. My motivation is different, like for many of the people walking or biking the Camino AFAIK.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am sorry however that the cat-question took most of the attention... I thank everyone for the advices but please help me with the other points.

The concensus seems to be, leave the cat at home, so that's that. You can cycle an ebike to Santiago but you will have to lie if you want a compostela as you won't qualify (not something I would recommend, see above). Some albergues might let you store an expensive ebike inside, but many just won't have the room. In any case, its security will be your own responsibility. Has it got a removable battery? Charging it shouldn't be a problem, you could offer a couple of euros for plugging it in. You can follow the path most of the way from Lisbon up to Santiago, but be courteous around walking pilgrims and make them aware of your presence without running them off the path. In some places it will be easier to take the road and be prepared to push it occasionally too, especially where there are a lot of pilgrims on the path, give them priority.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Their only relevant characteristic in the context of this question is that they are territorial and (although there are exceptions) don’t react well to being relocated.
With all due respect, I tend to disagree. I travel a lot for work and for leisure. Usually some friends of mine keep my cat at their home (and I take their cat with me when needed), but sometimes I have to travel with my cat. The cat's reaction depends. Usually he REALLY enjoys the new situation, the new smells, exploring the B&Bs, looking out the car window, seeing new animals and plants and meeting new people. But sometimes he doesn't. Not clear when and why. Quite unpredictable.

My cat has been trained to travel since he was a kitten. He flew to 4 different countries, took at least ten flights, and traveled about 5,000 km in a car (attached to the seat belt with an adapter - for safety - but free to roam in the back of the car and sleep near the back window). He also took trains, etc. What is missing is being transported in a trolley (as many have reported here, this is not impossible. I met a guy in Chile some time ago who traveled all over South America with a cat on a bicycle.

Usually he enjoys it. My experience is that each time it gets easier, as if he understands that this is not a threat, but an experience. It is as if he thinks, "OK, once again this crazy guy has put me in a capsule that takes us to a parallel universe where absurd things happen, strange animals roam, etc.. Let's see what happens this time...".

However, I will probably change my plan to a time when I can leave him with my friends (no reliable catteries on the island).

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
YxdHZArray_11.jpg

The cat doesn't look too happy :)
This is a Japanese backpack. Perfect size for pilgrims starting from Sarria.

Real or Surreal? This Japanese Cat Bag Will Make You Look Twice

Last edited:
5) and last one: has someone of you ever tried to go from Huelva to Lisbon by bike? Any suggestion?
Here are 23 gpx tracks for routes by bike from Huelva to Lisbon.

This one shows where he stayed each night. (There's even a cat in one photo!)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Anything is possible if your hearts in it.
The Cat Distribution System happened to give you an adventurous one this time.
You can find a Way.

Welcome to the forum. I cannot respond to or participate in the gato-grino discussion. I am sneezing just reading it. My comments are concerning questions about bikes in albergues (not specifically e-bikes), and do not specifically refer to the Camino Portugues, since I don't know that route. Yes, bikes are generally safe on Caminos, and many albergues have racks you can use to lock your bike. Not all have indoor accommodations for bikes; in fact, it is unusual to find one that does. Even for just your front wheel (please do not bring these into dormitories...) As to charging your e-bike, I know of a few albergues that do not permit this, as it can be costly to the albergue, your additional donation aside. Of course, if you are staying in not-pilgrim-only accommodations with additional services, the situation could be different.

Animals are generally not permitted indoors in most accommodations. Buen Ca(t)mino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you all for your time and the many helpful suggestions.

In the end, also after your comments, I completely revised my plan: currently I am thinking of walking the Primitivo in mid-September as a test, and postponing the bike trip from Huelva to Santiago (and Finisterra). Without the cat, too complicated by now.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone,

at the moment I am a little bit in difficulty in choosing the dates and the right camino to do. I have a rather demanding job and commitments are piling up that are difficult to coordinate with a long vacation time and the preparation needed to tackle a Camino.

Question: do you think I could manage to prepare myself in 3 weeks??? I am in fair physical condition, but I am 65 years old and have not much time to devote to physical preparation, partly due to the fact that walking - even getting out of my house - here is made complicated by the unusual gradient of ALL the roads and trails. I move around by ebike whenever I can (including to go to the office) but it's not large distances.

Let me tell you a story...

in 1990 I spent two weeks with a very famous mountaineer, Rehinold Messner, returning from crossing Antarctica on foot with Arved Fuchs. I was part of a scientific expedition to Antarctica at the time. We retrieved him at the Italian Station and spent the ship crossing from Antarctica to Christchurch, NZ together with them. What a fantastic experience...

Among other (thousand...) things I asked him what kind of preparation such a different undertaking from his usual ones had required.

He told me it was no problem: training to walk long distances is done by ... walking long distances. The first week you suffer, but after that each day becomes better than the previous.

Of course he had an absolutely outstanding physique and a titanium will (actually I admired both of them so, so much, for their humanity and kindness first), but how much do you think this principle applies to a simple, unassuming average individual who wants to tackle a two-week walk for the first time? Of course I do sporadic mountain walking, but this is different.

Finally, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Ivar and the moderators who manage this forum. For years I have been convinced that we need iron moderation, respectful of different opinions but unyielding to people who do not respect others, and from what I have read so far this is a place where that happens.

So thank you truly to everyone, including the thousands of forumists full of advice and understanding for us "newcomers." It gives me a lot of incentive to continue searching for "my" path and the best way to approach it, as well as a lot of motivation...

Last edited:
@JustOneGuy, I believe you can walk the Camino without any training, so long as you start slowly enough. The more training you do/the fitter you are, the greater distance you can cover in the same time frame- and the more likely you are to enjoy yourself.
Get your gear sorted immediately, especially the shoes. Start walking short distances in them, try a few different sock combos. Don’t push yourself. Put a few kgs in your pack and make sure it works too. Just get comfortable with your gear.

Consider choosing a shorter, 1 week Camino - Sarria, Tui, Ferrol - and walk at whatever pace is comfortable. Stop where and when you need to. If you make the 100km in a 5days/ a week and want to keep going, continue on to Finistere.

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
He told me it was no problem: training to walk long distances is done by ... walking long distances. The first week you suffer, but after that each day becomes better than the previous.

I would agree in principle, though preparing for a few weeks walking in Portugal or Spain does not really compare to the mental composure and resilience one would need to contemplate trudging across Antarctica.

But, if you're in reasonably good shape, and can comfortably walk for four or five hours a day, whether with a pack or not, then a two week camino shouldn't prove too difficult. Good footwear and good foot care are essential, though.. start there, and get out walking for a few hours every day if you can. No need to go mad planning.

You mentioned the Portuguese coastal first, which is mostly flat with plenty of supporting infrastructure. The Primitivo, you mentioned later, is a bit more demanding with fewer options. Perhaps not ideal as a first camino, though many do it as their first, and love it. Do a little research but no need to overthink it.

For years I have been convinced that we need iron moderation

I dont know about that. An unenviable task to keep things in balance I'm sure, and credit to those who keep it in check, but who moderates the moderators?

Personally, I would prefer to be allowed speak my mind more, and I'm not alone in this view, but a certain amount of stiflement and curtailment, balanced or otherwise is the norm here. Too many saints and not enough sinners..😇

Last edited:
Question: do you think I could manage to prepare myself in 3 weeks??? I am in fair physical condition, but I am 65 years old and have not much time to devote to physical preparation, partly due to the fact that walking - even getting out of my house - here is made complicated by the unusual gradient of ALL the roads and trails. I move around by ebike whenever I can (including to go to the office) but it's not large distances.

The answer is maybe. There is a 50-50 chance that you succeed or fail. Especially because you're a little older.

It might be fine, you might have problems. The problem is that once you put a backpack on it shifts your balance and muscles and bones that you do not use normally for walking come into play and sometimes that causes problems.

I did the Camino Frances two years ago without enough training and ended up with bad enough shin splints so that I couldn't finish it by foot and had to do it by bicycle instead (I also have foot problems and deformities which contributed to that).

But when I did it this year and trained a lot, I had no problems.

You need to start walking with your full pack as much as you can. Start slow and work your way up, but the more you do it the more likely you are to succeed.
If you can't do that, do the training on the trail and take it really easy at first, working your way up. I've read that about 10% of people who start the Camino don't finish due to physical issues.

Shin splints are often a problem for out-of-shape walkers. Here are some preventative exercises provided by a podiatrist member.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/shin-splint-prevention.834/

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good morning everyone,

at the moment I am a little bit in difficulty in choosing the dates and the right camino to do. I have a rather demanding job and commitments are piling up that are difficult to coordinate with a long vacation time and the preparation needed to tackle a Camino.

Let me tell you a story...

in 1990 I spent two weeks with a very famous mountaineer, Rehinold Messner, returning from crossing Antarctica on foot with Arved Fuchs. I was part of a scientific expedition to Antarctica at the time. We retrieved him at the Italian Station and spent the ship crossing from Antarctica to Christchurch, NZ together with them. What a fantastic experience...

Among other (thousand...) things I asked him what kind of preparation such a different undertaking from his usual ones had required.

Of course he had an absolutely outstanding physique and a titanium will (actually I admired both of them so, so much, for their humanity and kindness first), but how much do you think this principle applies to a simple, unassuming average individual who wants to tackle a two-week walk for the first time? Of course I do sporadic mountain walking, but this is different.

Finally, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Ivar and the moderators who manage this forum. For years I have been convinced that we need iron moderation, respectful of different opinions but unyielding to people who do not respect others, and from what I have read so far this is a place where that happens.

So thank you truly to everyone, including the thousands of forumists full of advice and understanding for us "newcomers." It gives me a lot of incentive to continue searching for "my" path and the best way to approach it, as well as a lot of motivation...
Thank you!

I am a big believer in the value of advance training. It is invaluable in reducing pain and the likelihood of injury. But if time isn't available to do as much training as you would like, I wouldn't let that stop you from undertaking a Camino. When my teenage son and I walked in 2016, we had no training at all and certainly weren't in great shape. Yet we successfully made it from Roncesvalles to Finisterre. There was a certain amount of pain, to be sure. Enough to make sure that I wanted to train for subsequent Caminos. But not enough to overshadow the value of the pilgrimage, which has led to my subsequent Camino addiction. Even my son is talking about walking another Camino.

So train reasonably in your available three weeks and then set out in whatever shape you are.

Thanks again folks for all the advice.

This afternoon I took my brand new Osprey Stratos 44, filled it with my new sleeping bag, camping mattress, a sweater, a windbreaker, some water and a few other items - 5.5 kg total weight - and went up to the ridge that divides the eastern from western side of the small island where I live. I wanted to do this as a baseline to understand how I felt walking and see how much I have to improve.

I started at 17:45 and was back at my car at 21:45. I walked 15.8 km with 490 m of elevation uphill and 470 downhill, reaching about 1840 m.

I'm tired, that's right... but nothing really, really bad. It was a nice mountain hike and tomorrow I should be okay. I think it's a good start for whatever Camino I plan to do end of August.

Last edited:

This afternoon I took my brand new Osprey Stratos 44, filled it with my new sleeping bag, camping mattress, a sweater, a windbreaker, some water and a few other items - 5.5 kg total weight - and went up to the ridge that divides the eastern from western side of the small island where I live. I wanted to do this as a baseline to understand how I felt walking and see how much I have to improve.

I started at 17:45 and was back at my car at 21:45. I walked 15.8 km with 490 m of elevation uphill and 470 downhill, reaching about 1840 m.

I'm tired, that's right... but nothing really, really bad. It was a nice mountain hike and tomorrow I should be okay. I think it's a good start for whatever Camino I plan to do end of August.
Sounds good! I’m not sure how much exercise you normally get, but almost 16 km with a pack and elevation change is substantial for the first day of training. Just be careful that you don’t injure yourself before you leave. It happens. Buen Camino!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Well done. When you consider that you did that in four hours, imagine what you can accomplish in a day with plenty of breaks. Or in other words you could pretty much just start walking now.
Do remember that consistency is the key. Try and get out three or four days every week, even if just for five kilometers - you'll benefit more from that then from one hard hike each weekend. By all means add that in if you can!
As @Stephan the Painter says, don't push yourself too much and injure yourself.

I did. I went from 12 to 25 km overnight because the 12 seemed far too little - bad idea. I still hadn't 100% recovered six weeks later - by which time I'd reached the end of my Primitivo! I was lucky to even start, and the first few days were definitely not as enjoyable as they could have been shall we say....

thanks for the encouragement, guys! I need it a lot...

I have led a very active life, often working at high altitude or in harsh environmental conditions. And I have also run marathons in the past, which I think my legs still "remember".

Unfortunately, I am now 10 kg overweight (but losing it slowly). And an arthritis has prevented me from continuing to run for a few years now :-(, which has made training and consuming calories difficult.... This is my main concern, although I had no major knee pain yesterday.

I keep thinking about what to do in the immediate term. I am considering several scenarios that are compatible with my work. In the meanwhile, I think I will prepare myself by alternating between walking, mountain biking and, if possible, swimming. I also read somewhere on the forum someone who created a "guide" for preparation (which I can no longer find), which I will try to follow... as soon as I find it again!

Thanks again, have a great day and buen camino (it's... "good chimney" in English??? :D)

p.s. I live in the Canary Islands actually, but I am italian. And camino in Italian means "chimney", while "cammino" stands for camino in Spanish. I know... terrible joke :rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

For the past couple of years, the mods have volunteered to create calendars that show forum members’ names, date of departure, and departure city. The hope is that it gives people a chance to...
My brother Bruno was traveling the Santiago paths and the last time we had contact with him was when he arrived in Santiago de Compostela. We haven't heard from him since August 17th. If you...
Hello fellow pilgrims, I am planning on opening an Albergue on the Portuguese route. I have walked both the Frances and the Portuguese route. I speak pretty decent Portuguese and am looking for...
Hello, I am going to be walking my first Camino this spring and will spend two weeeks in Spain. I will take a relaxed walk from Sarria to Santiago. I will be almost 79 years old and walk five...
Hello everyone, I’m Giacomo from Italy, and I’m excited to join this community!I’ve been running almost every day for years now, though typically for shorter distances. Recently, I’ve been...
I am in Larrasoaña.. is there a service to get my pack to pamplona in the morning?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.