• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugués - lessons learned

Nathen

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Sept-Oct '19; Portugués, Aug-Sept '24
I just completed the Camino Portugués (Senda Litoral and Spiritual Variant) - I walked from Aug. 29th to Sept. 12th - and I want to share lessons learned.

On the plus side:
- The beaches/waterfront in both Portugal and Spain are stunning. It was a joy to walk alongside or near them, and to enjoy the sights and sounds of them.

On the challenging side:
- This route is much more of a solitary walk than the Francés (which I walked in '19). I embraced that, and at times I greatly missed the camaraderie that I experienced on the Francés.
- There's much less infrastructure on this route, and accommodation seems much more out of the way (on a couple of occasions, I had to get to the Coastal route to find an albergue).
In short - as has been mentioned in other posts - this route feels much less like a conventional Camino. And that's fine, IF that's what you're after.

Lessons learned:
- Do more research beforehand! I ended up using the Wise Pilgrim app, and it would have been even more useful to me if I'd also looked at its accommodation suggestions (I only used it for navigation). DON'T use the Camino Ninja app! On the one day I used it, It took me WAY off course and resulted in an 11 1/2 hour day (albergue to albergue)!
- Make sure that you get a phone plan that enables you to make phone calls and not only gives you data. (Many of the albergues I tried to connect with by texting via WhatsApp were not on WhatsApp, so I couldn't book ahead.)
- Do trial walks at home to make sure that your pack, shoes and socks are as comfortable as can be. I made the serious mistake of trusting that Injinji toe socks would deliver a blister free walk. Not so! On the very first day, I developed an enormous blister on the ball of my left foot which severely impacted my entire Camino. (BIG thanks to the German pilgrim who brought Compeed to my awareness - I wouldn't have been able to complete my walk without it.)
- Leg cramps in my upper thighs were also a serious issue. (I'm 65, but I'm in great shape.) Solutions include: Ibuprofen (up to 1200 mg every 24 hours), Calcium (1000 mg per day), Magnesium (400-420 mg per day for men, 310-320 mg per day for women), plenty of water (64 oz / 2 litres per day), and stretching. (I didn't do enough of any of these, save for taking Ibuprofen.)

I'm already planning a "do over" of the Portugués in the spring or fall of '25.
(The 1st day of the Spiritual Variant was very challenging - a LOT of elevation; the 2nd day was heavenly - mostly flat and very scenic. Next year, I'll walk the Litoral to Caminha and then join the Central Route all the way to SdC.)

Bon Camino!

- Nathen 🙏🏻

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Congratulations on finishing the walk! Sounds like a beautiful yet challenging route. Thank you for the debriefing. I don’t know if I’ll ever walk this via, but I love reading these lessons learned from someone who was just there, and I know they are invaluable for those about to start this route.

Congratulations on finishing the walk! Sounds like a beautiful yet challenging route. Thank you for the debriefing. I don’t know if I’ll ever walk this via, but I love reading these lessons learned from someone who was just there, and I know they are invaluable for those about to start this route.
Thank you, Orione.
We're all in this together, and we have much to learn from each other. 🙏🏻

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just completed the Camino Portugués (Senda Litoral and Spiritual Variant) - I walked from Aug. 29th to Sept. 12th - and I want to share lessons learned.

On the plus side:
- The beaches/waterfront in both Portugal and Spain are stunning. It was a joy to walk alongside or near them, and to enjoy the sights and sounds of them.

On the challenging side:
- This route is much more of a solitary walk than the Francés (which I walked in '19). I embraced that, and at times I greatly missed the camaraderie that I experienced on the Francés.
- There's much less infrastructure on this route, and accommodation seems much more out of the way (on a couple of occasions, I had to get to the Coastal route to find an albergue).
In short - as has been mentioned in other posts - this route feels much less like a conventional Camino. And that's fine, IF that's what you're after.

Lessons learned:
- Do more research beforehand! I ended up using the Wise Pilgrim app, and it would have been even more useful to me if I'd also looked at its accommodation suggestions (I only used it for navigation). DON'T use the Camino Ninja app! On the one day I used it, It took me WAY off course and resulted in an 11 1/2 hour day (albergue to albergue)!
- Make sure that you get a phone plan that enables you to make phone calls and not only gives you data. (Many of the albergues I tried to connect with by texting via WhatsApp were not on WhatsApp, so I couldn't book ahead.)
- Do trial walks at home to make sure that your pack, shoes and socks are as comfortable as can be. I made the serious mistake of trusting that Injinji toe socks would deliver a blister free walk. Not so! On the very first day, I developed an enormous blister on the ball of my left foot which severely impacted my entire Camino. (BIG thanks to the German pilgrim who brought Compeed to my awareness - I wouldn't have been able to complete my walk without it.)
- Leg cramps in my upper thighs were also a serious issue. (I'm 65, but I'm in great shape.) Solutions include: Ibuprofen (up to 1200 mg every 24 hours), Calcium (1000 mg per day), Magnesium (400-420 mg per day for men, 310-320 mg per day for women), plenty of water (64 oz / 2 litres per day), and stretching. (I didn't do enough of any of these, save for taking Ibuprofen.)

(The 1st day of the Spiritual Variant was very challenging - a LOT of elevation; the 2nd day was heavenly - mostly flat and very scenic. Next year, I'll walk the Litoral to Caminha and then join the Central Route all the way to SdC.)

Bon Camino!

- Nathen 🙏🏻
Thank you. I'm planning this for next year spring or fall, training and research to do as it will be my first Camino, from NZ with no European experience in my travels thus far.

You're most welcome, kiwiolivia. I wish you well with your training and research, and please feel free to ask me any and all questions you may have. 🙏🏻

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Congrats!
That's what I did in '23. But just out of necessity, I walked 1 week prior the catholic youth assembly in Lisbon, so both Albergues in A Guarda were booked out.

The walk to Tui up the river via the Fort in Valenca was quite amazing. That was the only part, that I felt solitude on the whole CP. It was a quiet sunday morning, many church-goers and bell-ringing across the valley, but not another pilgrim in sight! Lovely!

Good luck with your planning!

Interesting observations because unless things have changed since 2016, there were lots of accommodations when I walked and I didn't use an app only the Gronze website. I did the Senda Litoral/Coastal until Redondela when it meets the Central.

And what is a "conventional Camino"? There is no other Camino like the Francés, each has particular characteristics. Maybe because I'm used to walking Caminos other than the Francés, but I found the Portuguese fairly busy (June) and the numbers have increased substantially since I've walked.

I guess that it all comes down to previous experiences and expectations.

I've walked these Portuguese routes. 3 of us then aged 75, plus one under 70 managed ok. We had previously walked other Caminos (Frances and Baztan).

I strongly recommend John Brierley's guide books for maps, distances and accommodation.

All advice is invaluable and it's good to share.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

On the plus side:

On the challenging side:

Lessons learned:

Bon Camino!

- Nathen 🙏🏻
I have a question about accommodations. You said you only used the Wise Pilgrim app for direction. I walked this route in November last year and had no trouble finding albergues every night. Did you use Gronze.com or the Buen Camino app? I use all three to give me the biggest variety of towns and albergues. I also stayed on the literol almost the whole way as it rained so hard and so much the camino in the forests were often like walking in streams. I didn't do the Espiritual Variente as it was such horrible conditions but I believe both Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino have this variant included in their apps.

Congrats on making it on your Camino. We are also currently walking the literal route. We are 68 and 69 years old. I agree do not use the Camino Ninja app. One day we were so off track we ended up walking the beach for 2 miles. We saw one yellow arrow that day. We also switched to the Wise Pilgrim app. Leg cramps are always a reality. I used biofreeze and took naproxen and lots of water.
It is a beautiful route and there are many pilgrims walking it now. You can jump between literal route and coastal route. Sometimes they are one and the same.

On the plus side:

On the challenging side:

Lessons learned:

Bon Camino!

- Nathen 🙏🏻
The walk out of Armenteira was perhaps the best walk of my 2 Caminos

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ibuprofen up to 1200 mg per day?
This OTC medication should come with a big warning IMO.
Please talk this through with your GP or pharmacist before taking it.

Extra magnesium? Aside from special medical reasons, a normal varied diet provides enough magnesium.
Hi SabsP:

As the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary".
Ibuprofen was a regular part of both of my Caminos - on the first, because I was carrying far too much weight and was in pain (shin splints and thigh pain) most of the time, and on the second, because of my serious blister (and thigh pain). 400 mg before I started out in the morning was very helpful, as was 400 mg just before bed - if I didn't, muscle cramps would wake me up.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't consider what I eat on a Camino as a "normal varied diet". And, the daily calcium and magnesium amounts I mentioned in my post were found online (as was the daily ibuprofen amount). That said, I didn't bring any calcium with me, and I didn't take magnesium as often or as much as this suggested amount.

May your Camino(s) be pain free.

- N 🙏🏻

Congrats!

That's what I did in '23. But just out of necessity, I walked 1 week prior the catholic youth assembly in Lisbon, so both Albergues in A Guarda were booked out.

The walk to Tui up the river via the Fort in Valenca was quite amazing. That was the only part, that I felt solitude on the whole CP. It was a quiet sunday morning, many church-goers and bell-ringing across the valley, but not another pilgrim in sight! Lovely!

Good luck with your planning!
Thanks for your kind words and for sharing YOUR experience, Roland!
I look forward to combining the Litoral and the Central next year. 🙏🏻

Interesting observations because unless things have changed since 2016, there were lots of accommodations when I walked and I didn't use an app only the Gronze website. I did the Senda Litoral/Coastal until Redondela when it meets the Central.

And what is a "conventional Camino"? There is no other Camino like the Francés, each has particular characteristics. Maybe because I'm used to walking Caminos other than the Francés, but I found the Portuguese fairly busy (June) and the numbers have increased substantially since I've walked.

I guess that it all comes down to previous experiences and expectations.
Thanks for your insights, LTfit. I fully own that I wasn't as well prepared for this Camino as I could've been, and I've been thinking in the last few days that I should've use Gronze. Thanks for the "nudge" to do so.

And you're absolutely right about every Camino having its particular characteristics. I only had the Francés as a reference, and I had BIG expectations that I would correct all of the errors that I made the first time. (Ah, the joys of being a Virgo/perfectionist - !!!)

- Nathen 🙏🏻

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've walked these Portuguese routes. 3 of us then aged 75, plus one under 70 managed ok. We had previously walked other Caminos (Frances and Baztan).

I strongly recommend John Brierley's guide books for maps, distances and accommodation.

All advice is invaluable and it's good to share.
Thanks, Fleur. I had JB's guide with me - I just didn't make the most of it.
One more lesson learned - !

- N 🙏🏻

And, the daily calcium and magnesium amounts I mentioned in my post were found online (as was the daily ibuprofen amount). That said, I didn't bring any calcium with me, and I didn't take magnesium as often or as much as this suggested amount.

I never rely on health information ( or any other important life questions ) from an online internetsource but talk with my professional GP and my pharmacist who both know my medical history and my prescribed medication.

Buen Camino.

I have a question about accommodations. You said you only used the Wise Pilgrim app for direction. I walked this route in November last year and had no trouble finding albergues every night. Did you use Gronze.com or the Buen Camino app? I use all three to give me the biggest variety of towns and albergues. I also stayed on the literol almost the whole way as it rained so hard and so much the camino in the forests were often like walking in streams. I didn't do the Espiritual Variente as it was such horrible conditions but I believe both Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino have this variant included in their apps.
Hi It56ny -

As I've been mentioning in other posts, I didn't make the most of the Wise Pilgrim app. My frame of reference was walking the Francés with Brierley's guidebook, where the infrastructure was great and the path was clear, unlike the Portugués which can be experienced in SO many ways. I also never booked in advance, trusting that the Camino would provide; not always so on this journey. More lessons learned! Next time, I will make use of Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino and Bronze - and yes, Wise Pilgrim includes the Spiritual Variant.

- N 🙏🏻

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
Congrats on making it on your Camino. We are also currently walking the literal route. We are 68 and 69 years old. I agree do not use the Camino Ninja app. One day we were so off track we ended up walking the beach for 2 miles. We saw one yellow arrow that day. We also switched to the Wise Pilgrim app. Leg cramps are always a reality. I used biofreeze and took naproxen and lots of water.
It is a beautiful route and there are many pilgrims walking it now. You can jump between literal route and coastal route. Sometimes they are one and the same.
Thanks for bringing biofreeze and naproxen to my awareness, SunCity - I'd not heard of them.
It is indeed a beautiful route, and in my experience, accommodations were sometimes not found on the litoral - I had to walk inland to the coastal route, which at times is quite different from the litoral.

- N 🙏🏻

The walk out of Armenteira was perhaps the best walk of my 2 Caminos
I completely agree, jpcnd78!
If I were to walk the Spiritual Variant again, I would stop in Combarro, then stay for 2 nights at the monastery in Armenteira, and then do the beautiful walk out of Armenteira.

- N 🙏🏻

I never rely on health information ( or any other important life questions ) from an online internetsource but talk with my professional GP and my pharmacist who both know my medical history and my prescribed medication.

Buen Camino.
And so it is, SabsP.

Buen Camino.

- N 🙏🏻

Thanks for bringing biofreeze and naproxen to my awareness, SunCity - I'd not heard of them.
It is indeed a beautiful route, and in my experience, accommodations were sometimes not found on the litoral - I had to walk inland to the coastal route, which at times is quite different from the litoral.

- N 🙏🏻
I was also a pharmacist for 38 years.

On the plus side:

On the challenging side:

Lessons learned:

Bon Camino!

- Nathen 🙏🏻
In April, I did the Coastal to Caminha, then crossed over to the Central to Santiago. I found this route, easy to find accommodations, mostly using Whats App.
For accommodations, I mostly looked at the town/city maps in the Brierley book (so I could stay close to what I wanted to see that day) then Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino to find accommodations in that area.
I use thin injinji toe socks for my toes only (9 toes with blisters on my first walk versus rare toe blisters on my subsequent 4 Caminos). Then I put on a medium weight merino wool sock on top to protect the rest of my foot.

I appreciate your comments on the Littoral way.by contrast, I walked the Coastal route last October and found Camaraderie and route marking sufficient. The stretch between Caminha and Baiona/Vigo had less traffic due to walkers cutting over to the Central before Guarda.

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
In April, I did the Coastal to Caminha, then crossed over to the Central to Santiago. I found this route, easy to find accommodations, mostly using Whats App.
For accommodations, I mostly looked at the town/city maps in the Brierley book (so I could stay close to what I wanted to see that day) then Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino to find accommodations in that area.
I use thin injinji toe socks for my toes only (9 toes with blisters on my first walk versus rare toe blisters on my subsequent 4 Caminos). Then I put on a medium weight merino wool sock on top to protect the rest of my foot.
Thanks for your insights, hikentravel1234 - much appreciated!

- N 🙏🏻

I appreciate your comments on the Littoral way.by contrast, I walked the Coastal route last October and found Camaraderie and route marking sufficient. The stretch between Caminha and Baiona/Vigo had less traffic due to walkers cutting over to the Central before Guarda.
Thanks for your kind words, Steven, and for telling me a little about YOUR experience.
I'm looking forward to my "do over" of the Portugués next spring or fall, and I appreciate all that I'm learning from others in this forum.

- N 🙏🏻

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

On the plus side:

On the challenging side:

Lessons learned:

Bon Camino!

- Nathen 🙏🏻
This was very useful information:: and current which i much appreciate! Will do a Portuguese camino 2025 (may)

I had BIG expectations that I would correct all of the errors that I made the first time. (Ah, the joys of being a Virgo/perfectionist - !!!)

- Nathen 🙏🏻
Four long Caminos under my belt and I still haven’t been able to ‘correct all the errors’ as each Camino seems to bring its own challenges. The one thing I am getting better at though is listening to the ‘inner nudges’ eg your Gronze nudge - but I still seem to overlook them as often as not. 😂🙃

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Four long Caminos under my belt and I still haven’t been able to ‘correct all the errors’ as each Camino seems to bring its own challenges. The one thing I am getting better at though is listening to the ‘inner nudges’ eg your Gronze nudge - but I still seem to overlook them as often as not. 😂🙃
Thanks, Rita - I needed to hear that.
As in all of life, the challenge/invitation is to accept what is and be in the moment as fully as possible... :)

- N 🙏🏻

Most read last week in this forum

Well, I have some health issues and no room at the inn issues. My leg flaring up has really caused a problem. My husband and I are in Vila do Conde looking for a nice place to sleep tomorrow. I...
I just completed the Camino Portugués (Senda Litoral and Spiritual Variant) - I walked from Aug. 29th to Sept. 12th - and I want to share lessons learned. On the plus side: - The...
Here is my photo video from the Camino Portugues, costal route. We chose almost every opportunity to go Litoral - right out on the coastline. Only the day between Esposende and Viana do Castelo we...
I'm currently planning to walk the CP coastal route next fall, and I know that some of the seaside towns along the way can get crowded with people on holiday and surfing during the summer months...
Walking Litoral from Porto beginning 25 Oct. Will places to stay be open? Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back