• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues + Finisterre/ Muxia in 2 weeks advice

Utaramata

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, August - September 2017
Hey everybody!

I needed some help in choosing the best route to walk the Camino Portugues + Finistera/ Muxia from Porto.

This will be my 1st Caminho Portugues & 2nd Camino, as I’ve done Camino Frances awhile ago in 2017.

I was supposed to start walking around the 29th July and initially had 3 weeks to do the whole journey. Unfortunately in between my travels I got injured (adductor inflammation) and had to really rest and not use my legs.

Now its got better and the path it still calling me. Perhaps i have to send luggage the first few days to take the load off a little bit.

Im wondering of the best options to walk for 2 weeks itineray starting end of this week (August):

1. Full Camino Portugues and then just take the bus to Finistera and walk to Muxia
  2. Start halfway of Camino Portugues — not sure of coastal way/ central. And suggestions which town to start in
  3. Walk from Porto till halfway, bus to Santiago and then walk to Finistera/ Muxia
  4. Another option?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated! 🙏🏽

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m going to suggest that you opt for #1 with maybe a couple tweaks. Walk the entire CP from Porto. I’d choose the Central over the Coastal Route. We broke up one of the stages into two (Tui to Redondela) and walked it in 11 days. What I would recommend adding on to this would be the Variante Espiritual just outside Pontevedra which would add on one additional walking day. I’d then after getting to Santiago, just bus over to Finisterre for the day. More or less that would take up your two weeks. Santiago is a wonderful city. If you can spend two night there, all the better. Bom Caminho!

I’m going to suggest that you opt for #1 with maybe a couple tweaks. Walk the entire CP from Porto. I’d choose the Central over the Coastal Route. We broke up one of the stages into two (Tui to Redondela) and walked it in 11 days. What I would recommend adding on to this would be the Variante Espiritual just outside Pontevedra which would add on one additional walking day. I’d then after getting to Santiago, just bus over to Finisterre for the day. More or less that would take up your two weeks. Santiago is a wonderful city. If you can spend two night there, all the better. Bom Caminho!

Thank you for your reply!

Can I ask why the Central over the Coastal route?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for your reply!

Can I ask why the Central over the Coastal route?
The Central has much more of a 'pilgrim vibe' and you won't be competing with day-trippers spending a day at the coast.
I'd go Porto to Vila da Conde on the Camino Literal ( beautiful walk along the river Douro/coast) then head inland to Rates and pick up the Central Route. If you have the time pick up the Variente Espiritual at Pontevedra. If your available time allows I would walk to Finisterre (sense of completion) and them take transport to Muxia/ back to Santiago.
The benefit of doing the Camino Literal for the first couple of days is that it will give you the chance to decide if the coastal routes are for you or not ( some love it - just not for me) before deciding whether to head inland to the Central or not.
Whatever you decide . . . Buen Camino!

The Central has much more of a 'pilgrim vibe' and you won't be competing with day-trippers spending a day at the coast.
I'd go Porto to Vila da Conde on the Camino Literal ( beautiful walk along the river Douro/coast) then head inland to Rates and pick up the Central Route. If you have the time pick up the Variente Espiritual at Pontevedra. If your available time allows I would walk to Finisterre (sense of completion) and them take transport to Muxia/ back to Santiago.
The benefit of doing the Camino Literal for the first couple of days is that it will give you the chance to decide if the coastal routes are for you or not ( some love it - just not for me) before deciding whether to head inland to the Central or not.
Whatever you decide . . . Buen Camino!
Thank you! It makes sense.. Esp now with it being summer & crowded with tourists.

Do you use apps to find pilgrim albergues? Or can I get this list at the Porto Cathedral, along with the Pilgrim Passport

Thank you! It makes sense.. Esp now with it being summer & crowded with tourists.

Do you use apps to find pilgrim albergues? Or can I get this list at the Porto Cathedral, along with the Pilgrim Passport
I use 'Camino Ninja' . It's free and very good.
Lists distances between places with cafes and accommodations including contact details and guide prices. Also tracks where you are on the trail in a 'live' map view ( for those times when you think it's been a while since you've seen your last yellow arrow!).
I tend to get my Credencial mailed to me at home before I travel - means you aren't tied to opening hours of Cathedral/Pilgrim Office etc

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I don’t know if you are still having leg issues or worried about a recurrence, but the coastal route is pretty flat most of the time while the central route involves quite a bit of climbing and decending as you go over hills and some mountainous areas. Just food for thought.

I don’t know if you are still having leg issues or worried about a recurrence, but the coastal route is pretty flat most of the time while the central route involves quite a bit of climbing and decending as you go over hills and some mountainous areas. Just food for thought.
Thank you Janade!

Its still a little bit there.. Im also wondering if its possible for me to walk a couple of days on coastal route and then change to the central route when my leg gets better.

Also wondering for the backpack transport between stops, I might need to use it for the first few days and just carry a small backpack first. But you would have to be booked in at “normal” hostels instead of pilgrim albergues?

I’d walk from Tui (take a bus to Valença) to Sdc - from memory 5 days then walk to Finisterre and Muxía -again, from memory, 5 days. If no time, just walk to Finisterre and bus it to Muxía (and back to Sdc)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Personally, I wouldn’t start in Tui. I love Tui but it’s in Spain and you are on the Portuguese route, you would miss the Portuguese food and culture. Starting in Porto was a highlight for us as Porto is bucket list destination, as well as other towns in Portugal.

Personally, I wouldn’t start in Tui. I love Tui but it’s in Spain and you are on the Portuguese route, you would miss the Portuguese food and culture. Starting in Porto was a highlight for us as Porto is bucket list destination, as well as other towns in Portugal.

Thank you!

Im slowly getting better & good enough to walk so will start walking on 7th of August.

Ive been looking around for possible routes and thinking of starting from Ponte de Lima then through Variante Espiritual — Santiago and then to Finistera // Muxia.

Im not sure how many days that would take though, as I’d need to get back to Lisbon by 22 August

Starting from Porto is certainly preferable, if one has the time. If the time is not available, there is always the option of walking across the bridge and starting from Valença instead of Tui. That would also give the opportunity to sample Portuguese food and culture.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is no list given at the Porto Cathedral.
I use Gronze.com, the Buen Camino app, and the Wise Pilgrim app.

Starting from Porto is certainly preferable, if one has the time.
I agree, but @Utaramata also wants to walk to Fisterra and Muxía, and has had an recent injury. So I think that the plan to start from Ponte de Lima is a good one.

I agree, but @Utaramata also wants to walk to Fisterra and Muxía, and has had an recent injury. So I think that the plan to start from Ponte de Lima is a good one.
Then @Utaramata doesn't have the time to start from Porto. You'll note that I said starting from Valença was sufficient if time is tight. Starting from Ponte de Lima, a beautiful little town, is definitely preferable to starting from Valença, if not as nice as starting from Porto. (Note the theme here: walk as far as you have time for, giving yourself a good cushion of time for a first Camino.)

Thank you!

Im slowly getting better & good enough to walk so will start walking on 7th of August.

Ive been looking around for possible routes and thinking of starting from Ponte de Lima then through Variante Espiritual — Santiago and then to Finistera // Muxia.

Im not sure how many days that would take though, as I’d need to get back to Lisbon by 22 August
Sounds a good choice ( just be aware that your Day 1 from Ponte de Lima has a big hill before you get to Rubiães though - I've managed it twice though, and I'm seriously old!)
Have a great time!
Buen Camino
Ps Casa Rural São Sesbastião is a great accommodation option in Rubiães (there's an albergue next to it - both bookable)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All! I am a nervous first timer trying the first hike on CF from September 24-28, flying from NY area to Paris. Original plan was SJPDP to Pamplona, but then heard it will be rainy during...
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong group. Feel free to move my post. I have walked 7 caminos, always in Spain (well, max 50k in France), the country I love. At the end of october/start of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.