Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues: Damage on "the Camino".

Jakobsvejen.dk

Time of past OR future Camino
Pilgrimage since 1987. Still several times a year.
This has to happen once. I am an old man who has walked many pilgrimages since 1987. So after more than15,000 kilometers on various pilgrimage routes, something went wrong. Already on the second day of a summer trip along the Camino Portugues from Porto, I twisted my left leg and had to stop. I couldn't stand on my feet and had only one wish - to come home to Copenhagen.
Here is my story, as I would like to thank for help with the journey home, and it might help others in the same situation:
4 July: Flight, Copenhagen - Porto. Exit the airport and leave immediately. Accommodation first night in Casa Laura with Carlos and Laura. Everything was good, Community with other pilgrims.
July 5: I didn't get further than "the 207 Kilometer Stone". I moved in by Louis in Casa de Maria in Pedra Furado. Stumbled and tripped on the left leg. And on the morning of July 6 I had to realize that I could not stand on my leg. End of "the Camino" for this time! A plane ticket was bought from Porto to Copenhagen, departing early on Sunday morning. Very helpful Louis offered to drive directly to the departure hall. Thank you very much. At the airport, help from the security staff. No problems with the walking stick and the limping man with the big backpack. Everyone was friendly. (What a contrast to the airport in Santiago)
Cancellation of Alsabus from Santiago to Porto. (The money was returned kvickly)
Cancellation of accommodation last night in Santiago (No problem)
Cancellation of an overnight stay in AirPortoHostel, 16 July to 17 July. Unfortunately a problem. Per mail I was promised 44 euros back before the end of the week. The money has not yet appeared. And my emails about the missing refund are not answered. Then you know. AirPortoHostel does not refund, even though they promise to. I have stayed there before and am amazed to be ripped off.
But now what. I dream of coming back on a Camino !. But I am an old man and my knees and legs are still not good. So for now I have to enjoy all the fantastic trips I've had and wish all readers here on the site. Pax et Bonum and Buen Camino !!!
Poul Erik
www.jakobsvejen.dk

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think that many of who travel a great deal have had from time to time to cancel a reservation only to find out it wasn’t possible to get a refund. IMHO it is a price we pay for the opportunity to travel. Like you, I, too, have found most places more than willing to work with me usually by altering my accommodation stay if I have missed the absolute deadline for a refund. Nonetheless, it’s discouraging when there isn’t a certain flexibility to accommodate an unforeseen situation.

I don’t mean to minimize your loss of €44, but if you think about all of the kindness you received getting home perhaps that was a far larger compensation than your loss at the hostel. Speedy recovery and hope to see you back on the Caminho!

Airport Hostel Porto advertises on their website that you get your money back if you cancel in good time.
When I canceled on 8 July due to my injury (8 days before I was supposed to spend the night there) I also got this reply:
We're really sorry to hear that :/
I sent the information to my boss and we will proceed with the refund. If at the end of this week you don't receive it please contact me again.

Best regards,
reception

But then, unfortunately, nothing more happened. And - it might seem strange to you - but when a hostel or other place advertises with a certain tyope service, it's not so strange that mnan also expects them to keep their word and not "cheat the customers".

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I am sorry this has happened to you and I send you good wishes. I am also old and getting older. I have walked to Camino only since 2008 but I noticed pains in my knees this year.
I am trying to imagine life without the Camino. It will be so one day.

Dear GDS and Caomhin,
Thank you very much for your kind regards. Unfortunately, things are going slowly with the knee and I'm still limping. BUT, BUT, BUT - then it's not so worse. I can hump around the Swedish forests and pick chanterelles, all the while with a bit of luck being joined by an elk or a red deer, while the great cranes soar above my head. So I can still - even if I am not on a pilgrimage - sense that there is something bigger than me, namely God.
And with a bit of luck, I'll hopefully be able to wear the backpack again sometime in the late autumn. But once again, thank you for your kind comments.
Pax et Bonum
Poul Erik

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back