• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Camino from Porto with a child in April

YanaCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2025
Hi everyone!

I am planning my first Camino Portuguese, starting in Porto in early April. It just so happens we arrive in Santiago on Easter weekend. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Santiago on Easter, quick Google showed it's quite beautiful 😍

After reading enormous amount of info online there are still a few questions I can't find answer to:
1. What is the weather like along the coast in Portugal in April? (We will probably combine coastal and central) Is it raining frequently? Do I need a lot of layers and a sleeping bag? Or will it be warm enough? Also boots/shoes for this time in Portugal?

2. Are there still cheap albergues in Santiago? Hotels look quite expensive, I guess Easter weekend doesn't help.

3. I travel with a 12 year old son, and we plan to stay in albergues. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Any specific safety or other advice? If anyone traveled with a child, how did you get them to eat new foods?

4. Is there anything special along the route during Holy Week that we absolutely must stop and see?

5. How busy is it during Easter holidays on Camino Portuguese and which route is busier? Giving that I am "solo female with a child" we would probably chose the busier route.

6. Random one, but any recommendations for hiking trousers please? :) I don't like how "exposed" the leggings look, but still want to hike comfortably.

Thanks for reading, and buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Yanacamino
I've walked with all eight of my kids (both caminos and hiking at home) so I'll weigh in on those questions.
At 12, I found my kids were no less able than adults - I realised I was not really thinking of them as "kids" but as fellow pilgrims. They liked this. Yours might too.

1729997847224.webp

I was blessed to have adventurous kids, but I wonder if some of that is because we presented them with a wide range of foods, and expected them to at least try them (and thank the cook even if something wasn't their favourite). The wriggling bugs in Laos were optional! We were able to travel easily with kids because they were not fussy and travelling with them helped them become accustomed to eating all sorts of things - circular logic! After crickets, frogs, durian, buffalo, garlic milk in Mongolia.....Spain was a doddle!
If your 12yo is fussy at home when it comes to eating, they will still be fussy on the camino. Or maybe they won't because they will be hungry. Either way, in preparation, you could try cooking some Spanish recipes before you go - even better, have your child cook them. My kids ate eels they had barbecued for over half an hour (yes, they were as tough as old boots) - simply because they had caught, killed and cooked them themselves. In fact, there's a life hack right there - kids rock in the kitchen. Mine became "famous" on the camino - people would come up to us and ask them "Are you the kids that cook dinners? I've heard about you"
This can certainly going to be a great opportunity for growth - enjoy the process.

I have a friend who walked from Porto this year in April who experienced great weather - only two days of light rain towards the end.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone! I am planning my first Camino Portuguese, starting in Porto in early April. It just so happens we arrive in Santiago on Easter weekend. I'm very much looking forward to seeing...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back