Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte

velofellow

Time of past OR future Camino
6 yrs ago
Regular route
I am currently 78 yrs old living in Western Canada ..Did the regular route from pied de port 6 or 7 yrs ago..
Hoping to do the northern route this fall.

Any opinions on late season hiking ?

Not to be a naysayer but i was just quoted
$133.00 (CDN) for a pair of Silverlight socks !

Sorry but i just cannot justify spending well over $100.00 on a pair of socks made in China !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi and welcome to the Forum, could you be more specific about your start date please.

What's your current hiking regime?

This is a site many of us use for the Norte. If you use Google Chrome it will "machine" translate into English.

Hoping to do the northern route this fall.

Any opinions on late season hiking ?
I can’t see anything wrong with this plan @velofellow
As long as you’ve got time enough to do it at your comfortable pace and your knees are up to it. There are some ‘workout hills’ to tackle initially if starting in Irún.

If you start too early in September., you could find accommodation more difficult because of tourists in the region too; but many have found that with a bit of research and being prepared … they have managed those early stages. Don’t expect too much of yourself in that first week.

I wish you the best -.

Ps. I agree with your thoughts on spending too much on socks. Lots of less expensive socks around that work. Wear what worked for you on your last camino.

Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How “late” is your late season? Many albergues (public and private) start closing down in October, so you’d be wise to check those dates in an app or Gronze just to be safe. I walked mid-October and though my choices were more limited than early in the season, I easily found accommodations without much prior planning.

I did the Camino Del Norte late March to early May this year. I would suggest that you be equipped for very wet and muddy trails. Trails are fine if it hasn't rained recently, but if you do get rain some sections of the trails into mud chutes where steep and ponds on the flat sections. To clarify, most of it will be fine, but a few times a day you would find yourself navigating swampy and creek conditions.

If you have high, waterproof hiking boots, no problem. If you prefer more trail-runner style, then I think you will be unable to avoid soaked shoes and socks at some points. As noted above, gaiters would also be handy.

I wished I had taken my Bridgedale waterproof socks. I probably only would have used them on few stages, but on those stages they would have really helped.

Alternatively, take a few pairs of spare socks that you can rotate through. Don't assume you will be able to dry out socks overnight, especially if staying in albergues: The air is damp along the coast and the albergues tend to be frugal with heat, so clothing was often still damp in the morning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am planning on doing this stage in August 2024. I would like to understand the difficulty rating for this stage, as a friend is maybe joining me. What makes this difficult other than the...
I finished the Norte last Saturday, and want to post a few thoughts. Some may be of use to those thinking of walking the Norte in future. I’ve been on a bit of a Camino blitz this year -...
I am currently 78 yrs old living in Western Canada ..Did the regular route from pied de port 6 or 7 yrs ago.. Hoping to do the northern route this fall. Any opinions on late season hiking ? Not...
Good morning from sunny Ireland, I'm starting camino norte on July 25th. Start walking on 26th irun to san sebastian but unfortunately I can't find accommodation in San sebastian. 26th july Is a...
For those who have walked the Norte during the prime vacation month for Spaniards, how challenging was it to find accommodations? I start mid-August and have reservations through San Sebastian...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.