Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Del Norte - San Sebastian to Bilbao

rjaldrich

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024
I am planning on doing this stage in August 2024. I would like to understand the difficulty rating for this stage, as a friend is maybe joining me. What makes this difficult other than the distance per day? How steep is the EG and how steep is the descent? Are there cliffs or drop offs that are fully exposed? Is the trail in good or poor conditions? I appreciate the information as will my friend. RJA

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning on doing this stage in August 2024. I would like to understand the difficulty rating for this stage, as a friend is maybe joining me. What makes this difficult other than the distance per day? How steep is the EG and how steep is the descent? Are there cliffs or drop offs that are fully exposed? Is the trail in good or poor conditions? I appreciate the information as will my friend. RJA
Download the Wise Pilgrim Camino del Norte app which provides Albergues, maps and elevation profiles.
Go well!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Norte in 2022. The section from SS to Bilbao has variety. Some segments have rough trail i.e. stones, irregular surfaces. Some is road walking. There are steep ascents leaving SS. Steep descents as you enter Zarautz, Deba and Bilbao. And I mean steep, although you're mostly on decent paved surface. All along the route, there is a lot of up, down, up, down. Services can be long distances apart. There are areas of open exposure, where the sun can be pretty cruel. Despite and perhaps because of the physical challenge, the route is one of the most rewarding things I have done in the outdoors. You'll have lots of opportunities for solo walking, and majority stretches when you're out there all on your own. Great scenery.
Few Americans, mostly Europeans, some in vacation mode, rather than making a pilgrimage. Oh, and no drop offs that I remember. It is a route to savor. Lucky you.

Agree with @jabrown. Also, the climb from Gernika up to Pozueta, in addition to being steep, was extremely muddy after rain and logging operations in Sept 2023. Once at the top of the climb, there is a wonderful albergue, Caserio Pozueta. Likewise, the descent into Deba was steep, slippery, and muddy after rain. Step carefully, but I also agree with the reward and beauty of the route.

Last edited:
Keep your toenails cut way short or you will pound them out on the steep downhills. Take a trekking pole or two. Zigzag walking downhill, backwards at times on pavement where footing is good. Euskadi: Steep hills, friendly people. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've done this stretch twice. The absence of cafés is the killer. Between Deba and Markina there is only one that I noticed, and that's a 24km stage. And the first stretch from Irun is best taken slowly and with a full water container.

The ascents are long and inexorable, but take you through gorgeous countryside. An Irish pilgrim remarked that it was like the Bavarian alps, but much nicer. When I asked her when she had last been in the Bavarian alps, she responded Never, but that she had a fertile imagination.

I walked San Sebastian to Santander last month (May 2024). My first Camino. The combination of distance AND hills made for a challenging couple of days. And although I managed to complete Day 1 (~28 km), and Day 2 (~26 km) the cumulative effect was affecting me and I wasn't enjoying it despite the sense of accomplishment. My Plan B was to identify locations along the route where I could start or stop and catch a bus. Psychology, this helped - knowing that I had an 'escape route' if things became too much. I used this strategy a couple of times on longer days with lots of ascents/descents and it really helped (either ending half-way, or starting half-way). Consequently week two was much better, either because my body had adapted to things at a more comfortable pace, or the topography levelled out a bit - or both! - and I hiked full days with fewer issues and a greater sense of enjoyment. I'm hoping to continue The Way next year - I'm not put off, but I will go with a Plan B just to be sure.

We did this route last year, really enjoyed it. It is a physically challenging hike in places, so I would recommend hill training in advance purely just to enhance your enjoyment while there (or gym like my friend with no local hills). Trail varied quite a bit, trails, paths, rocky and roads, all manageable. As other have mentioned, some steep ascents and descents but fine with poles. No exposed cliff edges etc to worry about, I don’t tolerate those well but had no issues on the route. The last day into Bilbao was quite tough as it was very hot and we did a long day. All in all, a challenging but worthwhile route. And the food was 😋

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lots of posters have already said lots that I would say myself.

I would add: look out for the descent into Markina ESPECIALLY if it’s been raining. I’m not nervous about descents but boy was I pleased when I saw the end of the dratted thing. I no likey. It’s steep and it’s muddy. They’ve blanketed the path with small stones in the final section - unsure if it makes it better or worse - and a rope on the right hand side to hold onto as you descend. If I repeat the Norte, I’ll be taking an alternative route, either making my way down paths in the slopes of vegetation before the top of the official route down, or via a longer alternative you can see marked in blue in the Buen Camino app…

I walked San Sebastian to Santander last month (May 2024). My first Camino. The combination of distance AND hills made for a challenging couple of days. And although I managed to complete Day 1 (~28 km), and Day 2 (~26 km) the cumulative effect was affecting me and I wasn't enjoying it despite the sense of accomplishment
You can also divide these stages to make them shorter and more enjoyable. Both times that I walked the Notre I stayed in Pasai rather than continuing to San Sebastián. The next day I only walked to San Sebastián and arrived early so that I could enjoy the city.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can also divide these stages to make them shorter and more enjoyable. Both times that I walked the Notre I stayed in Pasai rather than continuing to San Sebastián. The next day I only walked to San Sebastián and arrived early so that I could enjoy the city.

Agreed. Stayed in Pasajes de San Juan like @trecile and was fresh and ready for those steps the next morning, and the lovely coastal alternative route to San Sebastián. We dumped our packs at the hostel in San Sebastián before check in, and then wandered off to find lunch.

Most read last week in this forum

I am planning on doing this stage in August 2024. I would like to understand the difficulty rating for this stage, as a friend is maybe joining me. What makes this difficult other than the...
I finished the Norte last Saturday, and want to post a few thoughts. Some may be of use to those thinking of walking the Norte in future. I’ve been on a bit of a Camino blitz this year -...
As I have read a negative comment about this albergue on this forum I'd like to report that when I stayed there on 16th June it was lovely. Good rooms and bathrooms, great dinner and breakfast...
I am currently 78 yrs old living in Western Canada ..Did the regular route from pied de port 6 or 7 yrs ago.. Hoping to do the northern route this fall. Any opinions on late season hiking ? Not...
Good morning from sunny Ireland, I'm starting camino norte on July 25th. Start walking on 26th irun to san sebastian but unfortunately I can't find accommodation in San sebastian. 26th july Is a...
For those who have walked the Norte during the prime vacation month for Spaniards, how challenging was it to find accommodations? I start mid-August and have reservations through San Sebastian...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back