Search 74,075 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Cameron's Primitivo

ChairmanOng

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo - October 2024
Hi everyone, first time poster and on Day 2 of my Camino! Wanted to give back to the forum, for all the valuable information I've received so far (and perhaps my first timer mishaps!). So to share at this stage:

Day 1 Oviedo - Grado, 19 October. Excellent weather conditions, cool mornings but the days are warm, with excellent visibility along the trail. Maybe one or two small trees collapsed on the trail, but easy enough to duck under. Not too busy with pilgrims this week, majority I met were continuing on from Camino del Norte.

I stayed at Albergue La Quintana, no major complaints, it's worth noting there are no decent laundry facilities at all here (e.g. dryer), so I ended up with a bag of handwash damp clothes... And I think noted elsewhere, the showers are open showers, not stalls, if that's a consideration. Dinner (€10) and breakfast (€5) was basic, but fine.

I understand from others that the municipal in Grado was full by about 3:30 PM. La Quintana was maybe only one-third occupied.

Day 2 Grado - La Espina, 20 October. Today was even more glorious, sunny all day. Trail was very good again, maybe some small sections of the trail after Selas were extremely boggy/muddy but not impassable. Plenty of familiar faces already on the climb out of Grado!

I pressed on to La Espina and am staying at Albergue El Texu - can I give a huge cheer to Thijs and Gepke! A very new albergue (three weeks open?) but what a contrast to my first night - a friendly welcome and fully equipped. Very worthy of any pilgrim's consideration.

From here, thinking about doing a Day 3 full leg La Espina - Borres (in particular, Collinas de Arriba and Albergue Los Hospitales). The weather forecast for Tuesday 22 October isn't promising for Los Hospitales though...

And then later on, a good think about turning onto the Camino Verde! I'll keep reporting back if there's interest here 😊

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Verde is amazing, some of best days on Camino we've had was on the Verde. No one around, walking through the woods, small farms and tiny hamlets, great views, good food, what's not to like?

Great report and write up. Appreciate the dates and weather & trail conditions. Very helpful.

@ChairmanOng, thanks for posting , I shall enjoy following along.
I'm a bit late seeing this so you will be halfway through your day by now, I'm guessing you're finding it significantly easier than yesterday afternoon climbing out of Salas. (I can understand why some prefer to have that as the beginning of their day three rather than the end of day two! )
I loved the Primitivo.
I echo @Telelama with regards to the camino Verde. (How could I not, I followed his directions) To me, it was the icing on the cake.

I think I remember reading that the woods could be a little bit muddy if you've had significant rain. And remember there are zero services during the day.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

From others’ experiences, what is lodging like from Oviedo to Santiago during November? Are places closed? Are beds limited ?
Hi everyone, first time poster and on Day 2 of my Camino! Wanted to give back to the forum, for all the valuable information I've received so far (and perhaps my first timer mishaps!). So to share...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back