Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cabo Finisterre - which direction?

Mananath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2022
Hi, in a few days I will be walking to Cabo Finisterre. I am planning on walking the road in one direction and the alternative trail in the other direction to make a loop walk. Is one particular direction better than the other?

Thanks!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, I think you are talking about the way from Fisterra village to the lighthouse? I first took the way over the hills: so you have a beautifull view over the cape when you arrive. In my opinion the way back along the road is saver if you return later in the darkness. I was glad to have my torch

My first thought was that you want to walk West out on the loop and East returning, but that probably isn't what you are looking for.

I think if I were doing the complete loop, I would go Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia - Santiago.

Hi, I think you are talking about the way from Fisterra village to the lighthouse? I first took the way over the hills: so you have a beautifull view over the cape when you arrive. In my opinion the way back along the road is saver if you return later in the darkness. I was glad to have my torch
That's exactly my recommendation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My first thought was that you want to walk West out on the loop and East returning, but that probably isn't what you are looking for.

I think if I were doing the complete loop, I would go Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia - Santiago.
Ha. I am specifically interested in the 3 km to and from the Finisterre lighthouse.

Will just have time to walk to Finisterre and then maybe bus to Muxia for an afternoon before heading back to Santiago for an early train.

Ha. I am specifically interested in the 3 km to and from the Finisterre lighthouse.

Will just have time to walk to Finisterre and then maybe bus to Muxia for an afternoon before heading back to Santiago for an early train.
To and from the lighthouse I've always taken the same road.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
You should try the trail up the other side. Great views and you approach the lighthouse from above. It's easy to follow the trail with the mapy.cz app (green line).
Good to know! I did see that view of the lighthouse from where it looks like RVs park, but I didn't realize there was that trail on the other side of the peninsula. Next time.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
If you use Wikiloc there's a track on there that looks good.

1000032318.jpg

Ok, I did this route this morning. 100% (x1000!!) recommend! It was magical. I just finished walking 1688km and would have hated having to spend the last few km walking along a road with buses and cars speeding by.

I am shocked this alternative route isn't more popular - it is fantastic.

The trickiest part is finding the beginning of the trail!
I really needed mapy.cz for this part.

Attachments

• PXL_20240802_100102009.jpg
    PXL_20240802_100102009.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20240802_094117586.jpg
    PXL_20240802_094117586.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Fantastic!
It looks like the weather cooperated.
Did you have any trouble finding the start of the trail?
Nope, I also use mapy and there are some green arrows spray painted on the sidewalk. The weather was fantastic and I am hoping for a nice sunset tonight on the beach that the alternative trail also leads to. No need to walk back out to the lighthouse. I am done walking lol

Nope, I also use mapy and there are some green arrows spray painted on the sidewalk. The weather was fantastic and I am hoping for a nice sunset tonight on the beach that the alternative trail also leads to. No need to walk back out to the lighthouse. I am done walking lol
Mind the warnung NOT TO SWIM THERE, as it is very dangerous !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We discovered this alternate path on my first Camino and love it. We have never encountered anyone else walking it. There are actually two parallel paths shortly after leaving the lighthouse. One is higher up which I took with hubby, and my kids took the lower route; both lovely. I think the lower path is the end part of the Camino dos Faros.

If you’re walking towards SdC from Fisterra the section from Cee to Capela de San Pedro Martir is a long uphill slog. There are some nice views into Cee if you’re decending that section.
I have just done this and the signing is very poor- use Wise Pilgrim to ensure you stay on the trail. I missed a turn coming out of Cee and ended up walking on the hard shoulder of a road with a constant uphill gradient for about 11-12 kms rising about 400 mts over this distance- not pleasant. The signage all the way to SDC is poor.

Most read last week in this forum

There is something special about cities waking up. Double special if that city is Santiago de Compostela. Around 6:30am I saw people walking to work, a family of 4 sightseeing and taking...
Hello all I just completed the Camino Portuguese and plan to walk to Finisterra on SEP 12. Any advice for lodging about 20 km or so. I see some places in Negreira, but there are not many positive...
My next Camino is with my dearly beloved. We are doing a bit of a hybrid Camino, with our last walk of three, being Muxia-Fisterra-Santiago. The earlier routes we are walking this time will have...
I'm looking for a bus for this Saturday from Finisterre to Muxia and monbus doesn't appear to be running that day. Has anyone taken a bus on a Saturday from Finisterre to Muxia? Am I missing...
Where do I get the bus from Finisterre to go to Santiago? Is there a bus station?
Help ! Was walking the Santiago to Finesterre Camino from Vilaserio to Albergue Ponte Oliveira on Wednesday 11 September. Unfortunately I lost my varifocal glasses somewhere on route The glasses...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.