Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Orisson and Roncesvalles

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 (May/June)
My wife and I are planning to return to the CF next May (2025), having walked it in 2016. How far in advance can one book beds at Orisson and Roncesvalles? We had no trouble pre-booking these last time around, but assume with the increased number of pilgrims, it may now be more difficult. Thanks in advance for any help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are certainly correct about booking beds in both places for May. Not sure how far in advance either take reservations. In any case, here is the website for Roncesvalles. They will let you know the earliest date possible for reserving beds. Buen Camino!

I believe the criteria didn't change. Matters not how many pilgrims increase or decrease - its the schedule that the establishment establishes
IIRC - Orisson is perhaps late Feb- early March Roncesvalles could be a bit earlier.
Just log onto the site and start clicking on the calendar. Soon enough you'll see the pattern where the weeks\days will start opening up

Good Luck and Buen Camino

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You should also consider Borda, one km up the road from Orisson. It wasn't there in 2016. It gets very good reviews.

Orisson usually opens its bookings in October / November for the following year.

I've stayed at both Orisson and Borda and much prefer Orisson, but they are both good.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I are planning to return to the CF next May (2025), having walked it in 2016. How far in advance can one book beds at Orisson and Roncesvalles? We had no trouble pre-booking these last time around, but assume with the increased number of pilgrims, it may now be more difficult. Thanks in advance for any help.
I booked both in October 23 for April 24.

Have stayed at both Orisson and Borda and thought Borda was the absolute best place. It goes in the top 5 albergures for me on the Camino Frances. We all have our own preferences though.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
IMHO Matters not what I'd the "best " place. Rather given the limited availability of both the possibilities of being able to book into EITHER

Have stayed at both Orisson and Borda and thought Borda was the absolute best place. It goes in the top 5 albergures for me on the Camino Frances. We all have our own preferences though.
I have to admit I was a little disappointed with the stay at Orisson. I met people who stayed at Borda and raved about it - next time I’ll try there. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few more places start to open up soon - the demand is huge.

Hi, the Orrison website comes live nearer the start of the season especially when they have a better idea of the weather conditions if the route Napoleon over the Pyrenees will be open by say 7 or 10 April. This was the case in 2023 when it was closed up to the 10th and then magically opened by the 7th as weather had improved. However, Orrison is great for lunch, coffee and cake but from personal experience I’d walked further on to Hostel Borda. It’s a smaller hostel but more modern and with a better pilgrims meal. As for Roscesvalles sorry apart from walking passed it, I stayed at Espinal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have to admit I was a little disappointed with the stay at Orisson. I met people who stayed at Borda and raved about it - next time I’ll try there. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few more places start to open up soon - the demand is huge.
The demand was ALWAYS huge and yet for all these years nothing happened. Perhaps it's not as "easy" as it may appear...

Perhaps it's not as "easy" as it may appear...
Where’s the problem? All you have to do is identify a suitable property; buy it; get all the necessary permits, licenses, power, water and sewerage; modernise and out-fit it; arrange staffing, catering, website and booking systems. Avoid any dodgy reviews on all the usual sites and be overwhelmingly grateful for every € that a pilgrim drops your way. Then you can just sit back and recover your investment during 5 months of frenzied trading before heading to the Seychelles for the winter 😉

The problem is, there IS no other suitable building on the camino on that mountain path.

I stayed at Borda about a year after they had renovated their building. They didn’t open until mid-afternoon (I forget the exact time), so some friends and I stopped at Orisson for lunch.

After lunch the staff started clearing the restaurant and told us we can check in now (thinking we had reservations at Orisson). We innocently replied that we were going a bit further to Borda.

Well! The boss then came along, briskly removed plates and cups (we hadn’t yet finished our drinks) and told us in no uncertain terms to get a move on.

It was very misty and wet outside and we had to hang around in the cold drizzle at Borda (there was no shelter), for an hour, before he opened at the designated time.

We were then all herded into the backpack and boot room where we were given the rules of the place and of the camino. As a veteran pilgrim I found it all very patronizing, but realized it was a good introduction for the newbies, although we had had to go through it all already at the first gite in St Jean! I could see some of my friends were getting a bit impatient, being wet and cold from having to wait outside for an hour. I resigned myself to waiting for the shower after everyone else was done.

Later, talking with the owner we happened to mention our rude dismissal from Orisson. He raised his eyebrows but didn’t seem overly surprised. He wouldn’t go into any details, but he made it clear that he was not welcomed when he started renovating Borda and is still not welcome (except by us!).

Anyway, Borda is a fabulous place to stay, if very formal, but because of that I much prefer Orisson for its (open all day) bar, good convivial restaurant and joyful social scene (despite having been chased off by the owner one time).

Next time I’ll go via Valcarlos again – just as good as Orisson and Borda!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The demand was ALWAYS huge and yet for all these years nothing happened.
Is the demand for beds for overnight stays between SJPP and Roncesvalles always as huge as it may appear in forum threads? I wonder. I had a look at the booking calendar for Orisson and there are many days where booking is possible for this current last week of June as well as for July and for August. It is only the first 7-10 days in September that are fully booked right now.

As to the OP's question: If memory does not fail me, nowadays booking for Orisson opens early in the year, around January, and then you can already book any day of their season from April to October. There is always a little uncertainty whether they will open on the 1st of April or a few days later as it depends on the condition of the path after the winter months but that is irrelevant when you are not interested in starting so early.

The booking calendar for the albergue of Roncesvalles lets you already book for next year but I don't know whether that is a technical "feature" and whether they accept actual bookings only from the beginning of the season, i.e. again as of January next year. They have hundreds of beds so there is no urgency. They start to get fully booked on their peak days about a week in advance.

As you may already know, "peak Camino season" between SJPP and Pamplona are the first half of May and the first half of September.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A recent article about Orisson (in French) - see link below. A history of now 20 years. Photos of the Etchandy family who own and manage Orisson. And we learn that the current owner bought the then derelict shepherd shelter from a friend of his father. It was not connected to water and electricity at the time.

@jsalt - very interesting. in my short interaction with Orisson I found Msr. Jacques to be more 'friendly' and Mme Carole somewhat (shall we say) more 'intense". Given the fact that it is the only place one can have lunch (short of bringing your own from SJPdP) before hitting the food truck almost by Croix Thibauld and so many Pilgrims do stop there - its a bit surprizing to me that someone would scowl at you for 'not staying there'. Is it just Bourda or the same treatment if one plows through all the way to Roncesvalles?!
But like I said in another posts - different folks have different experiences so it is what it is

BTW - IIRC Bourda opens around 15:00 for check-ins

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

I am an Old School Pilgrim, too set in my ways, I can understand and accept the Cell Phone priorities sweeping today's Pilgrim community back in the good old bad days coin-fed albergue computers...
I arrived on the Francés yesterday in Estella. Stayed in the Albergue Curtadores on the entry to town. Few pilgrims for a big albergue. And tonight I’m by myself at the one-of-a-kind Casa Tiago in...
I passed through Nájera today. To quote John Lennon, “ I just had to look”. As you probably know, the red sandstone cliffs run right alongside the houses. Definitely unusual. These red beds...
i did the French way a couple of years ago from Roncesvalles, right after covid. i’m elderly and very slow. i would like to return in 2025, to do it again while my body may still let me. last...
Hello from Roncesvalles! My husband and I made it safely through the fog to the monastery from Borda this morning. Now looking forward to our next accommodations. Please note: There are lots of...
Hi, I am from NY and I am arriving in Pamplona on Sunday, June 30, 2024 on the 13:46 train from Madrid. I am looking to share a taxi to SJPP. I understand that the only bus leaves at 12 pm and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back