Booking accommodation on the Camino Francés

SallyT

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Ingles 2014
Frances 2016

Camino Salvado (Western Australia) 2012, 2013,2014,2015,2016
Hi,
I’ve walked four Caminos in the past and hope to do another in June next year, though my arthritis might have another opinion…
We all walk our own Camino our own way…
I’ve still got the contact details of accommodation that I pre booked in 2016, but I notice that there’s a link to Booking.com on here. Do those of us who prefer to pre-book use that link, or is it better to contact separately by phone/email?
Is there a recommended up-to-date list of private accommodation?
Thanks
❤️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I’ve still got the contact details of accommodation that I pre booked in 2016, but I notice that there’s a link to Booking.com on here. Do those of us who prefer to pre-book use that link, or is it better to contact separately by phone/email?
Each accommodation has its own preferred way to manage bookings.
Some might prefer booking.com, others email/whatsapp message, others phone calls... it really depends.

Btw, what do you mean by "there’s a link to Booking.com on here"? Are you talking about the ads on the forum? If so, those are just ads so you can ignore them.
Gronze.com is a good source for that. They list both public and private accommodation

Fabulous..thanks. I haven’t heard of Gronze.com
On my iPad, there appears to be a link along the bottom direct to Booking.com, but as you say it might well just be an ad. That hadn’t occurred to me.
Many thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would always contact personally in the first instance if you are able, both on and off Camino. Booking has it's uses and some benefits, but also has it's costs, negatives and impersonal nature.

Hi,
I’ve walked four Caminos in the past and hope to do another in June next year, though my arthritis might have another opinion…
Thanks
❤️
In order not to be forced to walk further after the planned 15-20km at well over 70, I have pre-booked all my overnight stays in 2022 SjpdP - Burgos, 2023 Burgos - Astorga and 2024 Astorga - SdC, preferably via Booking, with the option of cancelling the reservation until shortly beforehand. Otherwise, where possible, whatsapp (all phone numbers with an initial 6 are mobile numbers) or via email. All three years everything has worked out perfectly. It was always nice to know exactly where I could lay my weary head in the evening

In order not to be forced to walk further after the planned 15-20km at well over 70, I have pre-booked all my overnight stays in 2022 SjpdP - Burgos, 2023 Burgos - Astorga and 2024 Astorga - SdC, preferably via Booking, with the option of cancelling the reservation until shortly beforehand. Otherwise, where possible, whatsapp (all phone numbers with an initial 6 are mobile numbers) or via email. All three years everything has worked out perfectly. It was always nice to know exactly where I could lay my weary head in the evening
Thanks. I’ll be 72, and like you prefer planning ahead.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just be aware that booking.com does not usually have all the rooms in an establishment. If you find no rooms at a location you want on booking.com, contact the establishment another way such as phone, email, WhatsApp, etc. Some will also have their own booking website. There may be rooms available and at a lower price.

The Camino Ninja app has phone numbers and, where applicable, email addresses for places offering accommodation.
You need to first locate the albergue/gite etc that you’re interested in on the map.

Gronze is excellent. I also use a paper copy of all the albergues on the Camino Frances from the Pilgrims office in Saint Jean Pied-de-Port. Maybe you could contact them for a pdf. I am older than all of you above, and likely a lot slower, too. So I arrive late to most albergues and booking ahead gives me comfort, mentally and physically Booking.com is easy to use but when possible I do like to book direct, by email or Whatsapp. Buen Camino

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hi,
Thanks
❤️
Hi @SallyT
I walked Camino Francés this year (2024) from mid June to late July. I pre booked Orisson and Roncesvalles and after that booked the day before or on the morning for a week or so and then not at all - there were plenty of beds, particularly off stage.
One of my reasons for returning to the Francés was to see how ‘busy’ it was first hand. I can say first hand that there is plenty of accommodation before Sarria.
We used phone calls, email and WhatsApp when we booked. Most hospitalaros spoke enough English and we had enough Spanish to book on the phone. But really, at that time of year you don’t have to book ahead. Even from Sarria it wasn’t that bad for accommodation- we just booked the day before but as we stopped walking before 1-2 pm we could have gotten away with no booking even then.
We used Camino Ninja and Gronze.com. Both list all towns / villages and all services and accommodation. Gronze has a link to Google maps
Buen Camino
PS. I am 73 and love the flexibility of not committing myself to distances too far ahead of time - just judging each day as I get there.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Hi. I am starting my camino on Monday 16th Sept at St Jean Pied De Port. I have hust pit my final rucksack together for the first timeit comes in at about 8.5Kg, I am 86Kg so this seems kinda...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back