• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blistered to bits-need help!

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way September 2017.
French Way May 2018.
Planning some sort of camino for Sep 2019..
Hi all, walking from Porto and heading into A Guarda tomorrow and wondering if anyone knows of a good chiropodist or podiatrist there or if not there when’s the next one coming up?.. have some very bad open blisters that need attending to asap.. also what’s next place I might find a hiking or camping shop for better sock? thanks in advance for any advice! :) Bom Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all, walking from Porto and heading into A Guarda tomorrow and wondering if anyone knows of a good chiropodist or podiatrist there or if not there when’s the next one coming up?.. have some very bad open blisters that need attending to asap.. also what’s next place I might find a hiking or camping shop for better sock? thanks in advance for any advice! :) Bom Camino!
I can’t help you identify a podiatrist, but I would suggest that you stop into a pharmacy. In my experience in both Spain and Portugal, pharmacists are very knowledgeable when it comes to maladies suffered by pilgrims. On my first Camino, I was significantly helped by a pharmacist with my blister problem. If you need further assistance, that person could probably send you in the right direction. Good luck.

I was significantly helped by a pharmacist with my blister problem. If you need further assistance, that person could probably send you in the right direction.

Can agree, had a similar experience with a pharmacist. It's a good place to start.

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
I totally agree that sandals are the only way to go, especially when your feet are hot and sweaty. At this time of year shoe stores and Decathlon stock adventure sandals (adjustable at heel, ankle and toes) and they are perfect for continuing on with bad blisters.

If your blisters are unburst DO NOT put compeed style dressings on them as it will rip the tops off the blisters, risking infection.

If the tops are already gone, disinfect, trim up loose skin and apply a clean compeeds style dressing large enough to cover the blister adequately and leave on for as long as the dressing will hold. Open blisters need this to heal, if they are left dry they take forever to repair. Get some type of padded dressing/material (I used the fabric from the disposable room slippers that are supplied in Turkey) and tape over the top of the dressed area to keep any straps from placing pressure and wear socks to hold in place.

My husband suffered from regular blisters, until he finally purchased a pair of hiking sandals on the Portuguese at Tomar. He won't wear anything else now, even on winter Camino walking. I scored a nasty blister in March 2 days into the Lycian Way and swapped out to my hiking sandals with double socking and kept wearing them all the way to Antalya. They were so comfortable and secure and my blister healed without any disruption or discomfort on the most difficult terrain I have walked. I now have gone to the dark side and won't wear anything else for long distance walking. Look after yourself and enjoy the rest of your Camino.

I had horrible blisters that got infected my first time walking. Yes, go to the pharmacist. Yes, wear sandals! And get a new bigger pair of shoes! The shoes are rubbing on your feet. One woman I met told me that she always gets blisters even at home. I told her, that even at home, I suspect her shoes are too small.
There is lots of advice on the forum here on blister care. Taking a day off and letting them heal is a good thing to do.
I wish you healing and a buen camino!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Island dressinh and stretch fixomull from paharmacie. If broken, compeed. Compeed noe male a stick for hot spots befpre thr blister develops.
I took a day off walking to let my blister dry in the sun.
I also saw a woman put 2 back to back sanitary pads in her shoes to help.absprb moisture.
Stop during the day and take off your shoes and socks.
I am on your route too:)

Also, after Caminha there are few shops or services.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I can’t help you identify a podiatrist, but I would suggest that you stop into a pharmacy. In my experience in both Spain and Portugal, pharmacists are very knowledgeable when it comes to maladies suffered by pilgrims. On my first Camino, I was significantly helped by a pharmacist with my blister problem. If you need further assistance, that person could probably send you in the right direction. Good luck.
Thanks, I’ll be stopping at the next pharmacy, I stopped at one in the last little place and they gave me tape but couldn’t use that now on open blisters. Thanks for the advice! :)

Island dressinh and stretch fixomull from paharmacie. If broken, compeed. Compeed noe male a stick for hot spots befpre thr blister develops.
I took a day off walking to let my blister dry in the sun.
I also saw a woman put 2 back to back sanitary pads in her shoes to help.absprb moisture.
Stop during the day and take off your shoes and socks.
I am on your route too:)
Thanks best of luck and maybe see you on the path then! :)

I had horrible blisters that got infected my first time walking. Yes, go to the pharmacist. Yes, wear sandals! And get a new bigger pair of shoes! The shoes are rubbing on your feet. One woman I met told me that she always gets blisters even at home. I told her, that even at home, I suspect her shoes are too small.
There is lots of advice on the forum here on blister care. Taking a day off and letting them heal is a good thing to do.
I wish you healing and a buen camino!
The shoes are a perfect fit actually, unfortunately it’s the heat and a bad choice of socks the first few days (don’t know what I was thinking..) so lesson learned! 😄 thanks to the advice, might have to take a day off alright.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The shoes are a perfect fit actually, unfortunately it’s the heat and a bad choice of socks the first few days (don’t know what I was thinking..) so lesson learned! 😄 thanks to the advice, might have to take a day off alright.
Get some hiking sandals - instant ventilation!

I totally agree that sandals are the only way to go, especially when your feet are hot and sweaty. At this time of year shoe stores and Decathlon stock adventure sandals (adjustable at heel, ankle and toes) and they are perfect for continuing on with bad blisters.

If your blisters are unburst DO NOT put compeed style dressings on them as it will rip the tops off the blisters, risking infection.

If the tops are already gone, disinfect, trim up loose skin and apply a clean compeeds style dressing large enough to cover the blister adequately and leave on for as long as the dressing will hold. Open blisters need this to heal, if they are left dry they take forever to repair. Get some type of padded dressing/material (I used the fabric from the disposable room slippers that are supplied in Turkey) and tape over the top of the dressed area to keep any straps from placing pressure and wear socks to hold in place.

My husband suffered from regular blisters, until he finally purchased a pair of hiking sandals on the Portuguese at Tomar. He won't wear anything else now, even on winter Camino walking. I scored a nasty blister in March 2 days into the Lycian Way and swapped out to my hiking sandals with double socking and kept wearing them all the way to Antalya. They were so comfortable and secure and my blister healed without any disruption or discomfort on the most difficult terrain I have walked. I now have gone to the dark side and won't wear anything else for long distance walking. Look after yourself and enjoy the rest of your Camino.
Thanks so much for that, all really helpful - I’m on a mission now to get to a Decathalon today and a podiatrist, preferably both! Yeah they’re very open so will be dressing very carefully.. again thanks for the help! 😊

Last edited:
If you can find some nylon knee highs in a store, wear those under your socks. Turn them and your socks inside out so the seams don't rub. This is my tip to stay blister free in the future.

Last edited:
This has been my experience as well on both of my Caminos - the Farmacia was very helpful!

I also had blisters on my first couple of Caminos, although my hiking boots fit 'perfectly'. I later learned to buy hiking boots 1-2 sizes larger than my normal shoes. Those long days of walking caused my feet to swell. Since then I have also switched to Hokas and hiking sandals (Chakas). When I walked the Portuguese Camino my feet looked the same at the end as on day one. No blisters whatsoever.
I also agree with the advice from the DeansFamily on how to treat open blisters to prevent infection (they must be so sore), and have always found the pharmacists in Europe very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck to you.

Also change socks during the day so your feet stay drier.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here is a preventive "post-blister" advice. Once you will take care of the issue - get a Compeed roll-on stick. Looks just like a small deodorant - Compeed Anti-Blister Stick
Im attaching an Amazon link but thats for a visual purpose only; I've seem plenty in Spanish Farmacias

Not cheap (IIRC ran me about E10 in '22) but it made a world of difference to me. Just "swipe" the bad part of the foot in the morning and any time you stop for a break. Does not take much of a product and effort but you'll be one happy Peregrina

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Knowing Why your blistering is important! If the shoes are perfect, then use an ointment such as Vaseline to keep your feet from sweating? Did you prepare on cement and tarmac- are your feet hardened? Are you carrying a heavy pack and did you practice with it. Are you walking at a faster pace on cement with a pack. You might want to send your pack ahead for a few days to lighten the load on your feet, use a lubricant, and slow down a bit once you can resume. Stop periodically, and let your feet cool off. Since you have bad blisters, Open wounds (?) I wouldn’t recommend soaking them in a stream. Change your socks after two hours of walking.

Agree. Avoid compeed. They only pull skin off more

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Agree. Avoid compeed. They only pull skin off more
Compeed is entirely appropriate for blisters without a roof. Problems with skin tearing occur when it's used on blisters that are still covered by skin. It is a good idea to cover the Compeed with a large piece of tape with rounded corners to avoid the Compeed from being pulled off with a sock.

Once I permanently swore off hiking boots after two blister filled Camino's in favor of trail shoes and Wright brand socks, my subsequent five Camino walks have been virtually blister free.
Sock changes mid-day and getting shoes off a few times a day, especially on hotter days helps immensely as well.
The trick is to deal with foot issues right away when a hot spot is felt, rather than thinking you will deal with it 'later.'
Took me the first couple of walks to actually do this consistently.
Lessons learned.

Here is a preventive "post-blister" advice. Once you will take care of the issue - get a Compeed roll-on stick. Looks just like a small deodorant - Compeed Anti-Blister Stick
Im attaching an Amazon link but thats for a visual purpose only; I've seem plenty in Spanish Farmacias

Not cheap (IIRC ran me about E10 in '22) but it made a world of difference to me. Just "swipe" the bad part of the foot in the morning and any time you stop for a break. Does not take much of a product and effort but you'll be one happy Peregrina

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for the advice 🙏

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had a pair of shoes that were perfect until I walked for a few hours with a pack, and then they were too small. I suggest taking out the insole and placing your foot on the insole. Does your foot overlap the insole? If it does, that is where your foot will rub against the shoe. I changed from a wearing a women's 8 (US) to a men's 8. Men's normal width is a D, Women's normal width is a B. Another odd thing about walking all day, is that foot muscles get bigger, making the foot bigger requiring new shoes. My walking/hiking shoes are now a Teva, Kimtah men's 8. Sadly they don't make them any more and I'm on my last pair. :( -- I also use leukotape to tape where I have gotten blisters before, just as a precaution. I also suspect my big toenail beds are weak after my first camino (I lost both big toe nails 5 months later), and so I tape my big toes for support. But, honestly, I think I'm just a bit paranoid.

Last edited:
Thanks all, just to update - got to A Guarda and a brilliant podiatrist yesterday and got bandaged up and given dressing for the next day, was told not to walk a big distance. However, in a stroke of v bad luck, both myself and my friend were struck down with food poisoning last night and have been in bits ever since, a very very bad dose.. we’ve had to stay in our accommodation and not even sure if we’ll be good to walk tomorrow.. so fingers crossed prayers and good vibes please! 😄

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, walking from Porto and heading into A Guarda tomorrow and wondering if anyone knows of a good chiropodist or podiatrist there or if not there when’s the next one coming up?.. have some...
Day 1 Vila Nova de Gaia to Matosinhos: 12 K 9:20 - 12:40* Highest temp** while walking: 72° Pilgrims spotted: 8 Seattle-Newark-Porto, not an easy route, but that's the price we pay for living on...
Hello my Camino friends! I will be arriving in Porto the morning of Tuesday July 2nd to walk the Coastal Route. I want to also complete the Espiritual Variant. However,. I need to arrive in...
Hello! We had originally intended to walk from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates but it looks like the route is unsupported. How is the walk, if anyone has done it? We would rather avoid walking...
What were your favourite food experiences on the Portuguese Coastal Camino? Here were ours: https://retirementreflections.com/2024/07/03/whats-on-your-plate-the-portuguese-coastal-camino-edition/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back