Birds

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

amancio

Veteran Member
Nov 2, 2007
Durcal, Granada
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Depends on season and on camino... spring time in La Plata is amazing! Blue Jays, black kites, storks, nightingales, all type of emberizas, booted eagles, serins... you name it!
If you cross the Pyrinees now you will see plenty of vulture just a few feet away from you, for example. Herons in wetlands, coots... you have to be a bit more specific!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Jul 18, 2014
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
My favorite avian encounters were a Hoopoe on the Frances near the turn-off to Euante, and a kettle of vultures near Pancorbo on the Vasco - there were about 15 of them taking advantage of a mountain face, taking turns soaring and perching on a row of crags. It was quite a sight.

Reactions: Miki Goldie

amancio

Veteran Member
Nov 2, 2007
Durcal, Granada
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
That reminds me; in Aragones, in Foz de Lumbier, a small diversion off the official route which is perfectly signposted, you find tens of vultures too! But if you are looking for birds, the Via de la Plata in Springtime your cup of tea!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
And in the Meseta you'll hear the cuckoos
Peg had a problem with the cuckoos for awhile. Never having heard them, except for cuckoo clocks, she counted the calls to tell the time. :oops:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
Reactions: VNwalking
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Sho

Nov 29, 2018
USA
Camino Francés, 2019, 2022, 2023; Inglés 2024
On the CF this summer:
  • Mallard
  • Cattle Egret
  • Grey Heron
  • White Stork
  • Red Kite
  • Bearded Vulture
  • Egyptian Vulture
  • Griffon Vulture
  • Common Buzzard
  • Booted Eagle
  • Eurasian Coot
  • Yellow-legged Gull
  • Rock Dove (Feral Pigeon)
  • Common Wood Pigeon
  • Eurasian Collared Dove
  • Great Spotted Cuckoo
  • Common Cuckoo
  • Common Swift
  • Common Kingfisher
  • Woodlark
  • Eurasian Crag Martin
  • Barn Swallow
  • Common House Martin
  • White Wagtail
  • Winter Wren
  • European Robin
  • Black Redstart
  • Common Redstart
  • European Stonechat
  • Common Blackbird (Merula)
  • Zitting Cisticola
  • Eurasian Blackcap
  • Western Bonelli's Warbler
  • Great Tit
  • Short-toed Treecreeper
  • Southern Grey Shrike
  • Azure-winged Magpie (which was surprising)
  • Common Magpie
  • Carrion Crow
  • Northern Raven
  • Spotless Starling
  • Common Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Rock Sparrow
  • European Serin
  • European Goldfinch
  • Common Linnet
  • Red Crossbill
  • Eurasian Bullfinch
  • Cirl Bunting
  • White Nuthatch
  • Coal Tit (?)
  • Some ducks I still need to ID in a more extensive guide
  • Many other unidentified streaky brown birds
I used Lowen and Bocos's Birds of Spain as a Kindle book on my phone, and a Vortex Optics Solo Monocular 8x25.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Peg had a problem with the cuckoos for awhile. Never having heard them, except for cuckoo clocks, she counted the calls to tell the time. :oops:
I'd never heard a cuckoo bird before either until I walked the Frances. I was fascinated by how much they sounded exactly like a cuckoo clock...it doesn't take much to fascinate me.😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Silus

Aug 9, 2019
Australia
Did anyone see these? Another periogrino told me her farther told her these were Camino angels. He told her that when she saw these they were him come to watch over her. I saw them a few times when times were tough. They never seemed to be in a hurry to move on, no matter how close I got.

Reactions: K Turner
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Chizuru

May 24, 2018
Wangaratta, Australia
Camino Frances (2018)
Camino Podiensis (2023)
View attachment 64158Dropped my picture of the “Camino angel”
They are the European Robin and were very common in Galacia in October last year. We saw them many times a day and took a perfect Christmas card photo of one perched on an ivy-covered post in the Galacian mist. I didn't see any further back, only in Galacia.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Doug Bowne

Jul 27, 2015
Victor, NY USA
See signature.
Birders are posting from several locations in Spain I checked on Cornell Universities, citizens science, daily e-bird reports https://ebird.org/explore.

If in Basque Country the state of the art, Urdaibai Center, https://www.birdcenter.org/en
a nice walk North of Gernika, posts daily bird sightings, webcams, and offers numerous resources.

• Thank you
Reactions: VNwalking

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides