• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bike route advice for Portuguese Camino Vigo to SdC

Mum

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hello,

I am doing the Portuguese costal route from Vigo to SdC at the end of September 2024. It is with group of 6 but due to a foot injury, two of us will now cycle the route.

We have just booked 2 Women's Hybrid Touring bikes with (link removed by modetator) (Didi has been just amazing – excellent customer service). We are not the most experienced cyclists and do not know the route, but we hoped to try and follow the walk paths as much as possible.

Would appreciate any tips or if anyone has done this route and could tell us if it is possible to follow the walkers? This is our route below:

Vigo to Redondela (16kms)

Redondela to Pontevedra (18kms)

Pontevedra to Caldes de Reis (23kms)

Caldes de Reis to Padron (19kms)

Caldes de Reis to Santiago de C (26kms)

Appreciate any tips or suggested bike routes,

Thanks you !

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Mum, few replies to your message so as a semi-qualified bicigrino I'll jump in.

First I have ridden this route but in reverse (Santiago to Vigo & beyond) in 2021. If you're not experienced riders then I doubt you'll be able to ride all of the Camino especially the final section from Padron to SdC which is quite rocky AND uphill. If you pm / conversation I'll send you a link to my journal.

However if there are four other peregrinos in your group then you'll have assistance pushing the bikes uphill

The Buen Camino app normally provides alternative bicycle routing and Mapy.cz shows Caminos.

Buen Viaje Richard

Hello Mum, few replies to your message so as a semi-qualified bicigrino I'll jump in.

First I have ridden this route but in reverse (Santiago to Vigo & beyond) in 2021. If you're not experienced riders then I doubt you'll be able to ride all of the Camino especially the final section from Padron to SdC which is quite rocky AND uphill. If you pm / conversation I'll send you a link to my journal.

However if there are four other peregrinos in your group then you'll have assistance pushing the bikes uphill

The Buen Camino app normally provides alternative bicycle routing and Mapy.cz shows Caminos.

Buen Viaje Richard
Hi Richard, thank you so much that sounds great information, will PM you for the link to your journal, Mum

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Richard, thank you so much that sounds great information, will PM you for the link to your journal, Mum
Hi Richard I realise that as I am a new member I don't have PM privileges as I am a user with 5 or less posts. Are you able to PM to me? Mum

Hi Richard as I am a new user, I do not have PM privileges as users with 5 or less posts can not start a Private Message. Can you PM me?

Thanks for the PM Richard, I can't respond due to administrator. Wow you did out full route in 2 days cycling, you did Pontevendra to SDC in one day. We are going over 5 days cycling and our last day is Padron to SdC is our biggest 26kms in total but is this the one you suggest we need to walk as stony and uphill. Did you follow the walk path the full way from SdC to Vigo?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the PM Richard, I can't respond due to administrator. Wow you did out full route in 2 days cycling, you did Pontevendra to SDC in one day. We are going over 5 days cycling and our last day is Padron to SdC is our biggest 26kms in total but is this the one you suggest we need to walk as stony and uphill. Did you follow the walk path the full way from SdC to Vigo?
Well it was downhill from SdC and I was riding a hardtail MTB. Generally I do not "religiously" follow the Camino but I do try to stay off-road as much as possible. If you're riding walking stages of +/-25km then you should not have any difficulty even if it's necessary to push the odd km. Just go for it and enjoy the ride. Richard

Well it was downhill from SdC and I was riding a hardtail MTB. Generally I do not "religiously" follow the Camino but I do try to stay off-road as much as possible. If you're riding walking stages of +/-25km then you should not have any difficulty even if it's necessary to push the odd km. Just go for it and enjoy the ride. Richard
thanks Richard!

Most read last week in this forum

In another group that I moderate one of the members posted that when he arrived at the albergue in Tui, he was informed that bikers needed to wait until 7pm to check in. With the current traffic...
Hello. I’m currently walking (woman 56) from SJPDP to Santiago with my son (nearly 15) he wants to ride so I’m going to hire him a bike in Lagrono tomorrow. I need to work out if he follows a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back