• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Time of Year to Walk Madrid Camino

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Any thoughts most appreciated.

I struck lucky with the VdlP last year (April) and managed perfect weather the whole way.
No rain, not too hot.
Dawn starts were about 9-10 C. Reaching 22-25C by mid afternoon.
We certainly prefer warm rather than wet!
I tease my wife that she is like a Cat (hates the wet)

I'll start researching the Madrid
Being that bit further North I would expect it is cooler / wetter?

The plan is to walk the Madrid, then the last 100 of the Sanabres and then Muxia to SDC.
So I might also start looking at the historical weather around SDC for the period we might finish, and work back from there.......

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked several days over December 2022, before the weather and my foot injury put a stop to it in Valladolid. It's a nice route. Looking back at Madrid as to finally reach it's end is also cool. Going over the mountains via the Roman Road was excellent in the fog...

I walked several days over December 2022, before the weather and my foot injury put a stop to it in Valladolid. It's a nice route. Looking back at Madrid as to finally reach it's end is also cool. Going over the mountains via the Roman Road was excellent in the fog...
Not sure we'd survive being in Europe in December :oops:
Winter in Sydney is cold enough for me.
Some days I have to put on socks!!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

I struck lucky with the VdlP last year (April) and managed perfect weather the whole way.
No rain, not too hot.

The plan is to walk the Madrid, then the last 100 of the Sanabres and then Muxia to SDC.
So I might also start looking at the historical weather around SDC for the period we might finish, and work back from there.......
either late autumn or early spring. mornings will be brik and, if sunny (and we get lots of sun here), then perfect weather. i walked in the winter, and it was tough some days. mind you, it can rain. we have four seasons in spain, and if it doesn't rain between october and april, we are in trouble.

albergues were open all year, although in most cases (being winter), i had to call ahead and warn them i was showing up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked the Madrid in early April and got hit with a snowstorm in Segovia. Generally, it was colder than ideal! So I would say May at the earliest. One good thing about the Madrid (and your whole plan, really) is that it's a much less travelled route so you don't have to play the weather vs crowds balance game as you might when planning more popular routes. So I would pick whatever suits you best out of May/June/September or even July.

We walked the Madrid in early April and got hit with a snowstorm in Segovia. Generally, it was colder than ideal! So I would say May at the earliest. One good thing about the Madrid (and your whole plan, really) is that it's a much less travelled route so you don't have to play the weather vs crowds balance game as you might when planning more popular routes. So I would pick whatever suits you best out of May/June/September or even July.
Yes in April you have a small risk of snow ( rain more risk) but is when the Camino is really beautiful. Everything is green with snow on the top of the mountains but Fuenfria pass usually is free of snow. There could be some water in April on some paths easy to pass. Between Tres Cantos and Colmenar there is a small river that you must cross nine times (I think). There are stones and is easy but some balance with the help of the poles is required. In September this river will go drier.

I walked the Madrid last fall (from Segovia) starting on October 7th. Weather was mostly ideal, usually cool for walking with some warm days, but neither hot, nor cold and a lot of sunshine. I only recall one day of rain. Overall I felt ithe weather was perfect.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
…, And I was there in late March’24, starting from Segovia and skipping the mountains.

It was mostly cool but not cold. But there were a couple days when it was hot enough to walk in shorts. I met three pilgrims the whole time. It was the week before Easter and open grocery stores and restaurants were hard to find.

No rain, not too hot.

I walked the Madrid last year Sept 23-October 5th. Not one bad day of weather, and no seasonal closures yet. Great time of year to be walking!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the camino de Madrid this summer, end of June, beginning of July. Temperature from 25 to 33 degrees, no rain at all. Beautiful camino, very quiet.

No rain, not too hot.

I started the Madrid Camino at the beginning of May and walked to Finisterre. The weather could not have been more perfect! Been Camino!

And I walked it late June. It was an unusual year according to locals because it had rained a lot in May so I was gifted with a plethora of wild flowers when the landscape is usually a bit barren (campos). Weather was pleasant but I can imagine that it is usually hot.

My guess is that May or September/October would be great months to walk the Madrid. The Sanabrés was by the way also very pleasant in October.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I left Madrid in mid May and it was perfect weather. For me, the terrain is just as important as the temperature, and the difference between fall and spring on the Madrid is pretty big. Since so much of the Madrid goes through ag lands, the backdrop color will be emerald green in spring (plus wildflowers) and brown in fall. I have walked caminos in fall, but always go to caminos that are further north and whose wide open fields tend to be vineyards and fruit orchards, rather than grains, because the colors will be something other than brown.

Madrid has had some early spates of ridiculously high temperatures over the past few years, but I believe 2024 was “normal” so of course there’s no way to predict.

Not sure we'd survive being in Europe in December :oops:
Winter in Sydney is cold enough for me.
Some days I have to put on socks!!
In December, I don't think it will be possible to walk Cercedilla - Segovia due to a lot of snow at over 1800 metres above sea level. However, you can easily avoid this long stage by taking the railway

left Madrid in mid May and it was perfect weather. For me, the terrain is just as important as the temperature, and the difference between fall and spring on the Madrid is pretty big. Since so much of the Madrid goes through ag lands, the backdrop color will be emerald green in spring (plus wildflowers) and brown in fall.
I agree that Spring is definitely my favorite time to be on the Camino for the same reasons, but getting an itch for going again before waiting another year leaves me with fall, and actually was a pleasant change on the Madrid. I felt it had quite a bit of golden, and lots of greenery in the beautiful huge parks such as in Valladolid, in church yards, and along the canal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked it in June last year and it was great.

I agree that Spring is definitely my favorite time to be on the Camino for the same reasons, but getting an itch for going again before waiting another year leaves me with fall, and actually was a pleasant change on the Madrid. I felt it had quite a bit of golden, and lots of greenery in the beautiful huge parks such as in Valladolid, in church yards, and along the canal.
It was suprisingly green last September , maybe a mild summer?

Attachments

• IMG_6790.jpeg
    IMG_6790.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6460.jpeg
    IMG_6460.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6487.jpeg
    IMG_6487.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 66
We started walking the Madrid 6th April 2023.
Just checked my photos, sunny skies, no rain (bliss) but it was cold in the mornings needing a beanie.
I have about 3 layers of upper body clothing on in each photo including a very light 200g Macpac raincoat but that was only for layering!!!
Hope that helps 👣

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just checked my photos, sunny skies, no rain (bliss) but it was cold in the mornings needing a beanie.
I have about 3 layers of upper body clothing on in each photo including a very light 200g Macpac raincoat but that was only for layering!!!
Hope that helps 👣
How did you go crossing all the stepping stones in the river valley after Tres Cantos?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How did you go crossing all the stepping stones in the river valley after Tres Cantos?
I crossed them in May ( I am seventy) and was easy for me and for my friend (same age) . The river had a lot of water then ( for that small river) but I think that I could have had the option of crossing in all the points walking bare feet.

I walked in June and the weather was fine, but I'm not really in a position to compare to other times of year because I've only walked it once (so far).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 2023 - walking after April 11th - it was dry dry dry - everyone I met talked about the need for rain. I was coming directly from the end of a Canadian winter, so I enjoyed the sometimes very cool mornings and found some of the afternoons too hot! Being a quiet Camino before the prime time of May, it was almost entirely solitary. It was fab!

Hope that helps 👣
Definitely not between June and End of August.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm an amateur birdnerd and I've just been looking at a list of endangered birds. The area between Tres Cantos and Segovia in particular seems to be a birding hotspot. Just wondering what people...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.