• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best 7 to 14 days on the Chemin du Puy?

andarapie

Time of past OR future Camino
It looks like I will have 5 to 7 weeks this summer to tackle my next camino, starting the first week in August. I have previously walked the Camino del Norte from Irun to Fisterre (via the Primitivo) and the Camino Portugues from Porto. I was thinking of doing the Frances, since it is only going to get more crowded in the future, and I should probably see what all the fuss is about. So I may have one to two weeks to walk before SJPdP.

I am considering the Voie de la Nive from Bayonne or the GR10 from Hendaye to SJPdP to start (this would be if I only have one extra week), or to walk a section (or sections) on the Chemin du Puy (not necessarily the section leading to SJPdP). So my question is, what are the most beautiful sections of the Chemin du Puy? If you only had a week or two weeks, what would you choose to walk?

Alternatively, I could be persuaded to walk the whole Chemin du Puy and then spend the extra week or two on the Frances. I have no great need to get to Santiago again, and I have no love of crowds (the stretch of the Frances I walked from Melide to Santiago was unpleasant, kind of like spring break at Daytona), but I am curious as to what the experience is like on the Frances.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with starting in Le Puy. And ... for an exceptional experience be sure to attend the 7:00 am mass in the cathedral and start your Chemin walking down the stairs that will appear before your eyes through a trap door at the end of the mass! And please, at every opportunity taste the cheeses along the way! 😋 Le Puy to Moissac remains my favorite Chemin for so many reasons! Bon Chemin!

Le Puy.jpg

Consider walking the full length of the Chemin du Puy from Le Puy-en-Velay to StJPP via tje magnificent vallée du Célé ... depending on how many kms you are comfortable walking each day, you should make it easily inside 6 weeks giving you a week [or more] to experience the Camino Frances ... you won’t regret it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for all your responses. I've decided to do all of the Chemin du Puy and then continue on the Frances to Burgos, which should be doable in a little over 6 weeks.

I agree with starting in Le Puy. And ... for an exceptional experience be sure to attend the 7:00 am mass in the cathedral and start your Chemin walking down the stairs that will appear before your eyes through a trap door at the end of the mass! And please, at every opportunity taste the cheeses along the way! 😋 Le Puy to Moissac remains my favorite Chemin for so many reasons! Bon Chemin!

View attachment 173892
Yes, definitely start with mass! Well worth it, even though you lose an hour or two to the mass, tour, and blessing...

It looks like I will have 5 to 7 weeks this summer to tackle my next camino, starting the first week in August. I have previously walked the Camino del Norte from Irun to Fisterre (via the Primitivo) and the Camino Portugues from Porto. I was thinking of doing the Frances, since it is only going to get more crowded in the future, and I should probably see what all the fuss is about. So I may have one to two weeks to walk before SJPdP.

I am considering the Voie de la Nive from Bayonne or the GR10 from Hendaye to SJPdP to start (this would be if I only have one extra week), or to walk a section (or sections) on the Chemin du Puy (not necessarily the section leading to SJPdP). So my question is, what are the most beautiful sections of the Chemin du Puy? If you only had a week or two weeks, what would you choose to walk?

Alternatively, I could be persuaded to walk the whole Chemin du Puy and then spend the extra week or two on the Frances. I have no great need to get to Santiago again, and I have no love of crowds (the stretch of the Frances I walked from Melide to Santiago was unpleasant, kind of like spring break at Daytona), but I am curious as to what the experience is like on the Frances.
I've loved almost all the Le Puy (except maybe a bit of hot dry cornfields which are just like home, a few days before SJPdP. Having walked that far, the walk up and over and down to Roncesvalles is not that hard -- I can't imagine how that would be for a pilgrim's first day! I only got as far as Pamplona before I had to stop.

We walked the Chemin Stevenson (also beautiful and varied) and the Chemin St Guilhem (branching off from GR65), also worthwhile.

All the routes I liked will be HOT in August/September, I think.

the Del Norte looks amazing... I hope to walk there this Fall.

I don't know the Voie de la Nive or GR10... I'll look at them, but... what are their attractions for you?

-Kevin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
the Del Norte looks amazing... I hope to walk there this Fall.

I don't know the Voie de la Nive or GR10... I'll look at them, but... what are their attractions for you?

-Kevin
The Del Norte was really beautiful, the first week from Irun to Bilbao especially.

The Voie de la Nive and GR10 both go from the French coast to St. Jean PdP, the former in the plain, the latter in the mountains. I was considering them because if I did the entire Frances, and had the time, I wanted to do some walking leading up to it.

Most read last week in this forum

It looks like I will have 5 to 7 weeks this summer to tackle my next camino, starting the first week in August. I have previously walked the Camino del Norte from Irun to Fisterre (via the...
I recently happened to hear someone mentioning an app called "Cartes IGN". I had never heard of it before. In a distant past, I had used iPhigénie and adored it but when I downloaded it recently I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back