• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bugs in Portuguese Coastal Route

Shadi

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
I have spoken to 4 people in the last 2 days who have bed bug bites. One in Lisbon and the others on the coastal route. I was severely bitten at the Caruma Surf Hostel. When I asked for a refund - I think it is unfair to pay for a bed that will cause me days or maybe weeks of suffering. The response from Caruma Surf Hostel was surprising:
First he accussed me of blackmailing him for a free room.
Then he sent me this a text message: "..we are good people and 28 euros is just a stupid value for stay in a nice place. Just to you now we dont have bed bugs in Portugal this things are from america. This bugs came from america with tourists. You are American, correct??"

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guess he figured a refund of 28 euro would be the least of your problems and the least of his problems! Who knows??
I’d have been out of there before you could say boo, with or without a refund.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have spoken to 4 people in the last 2 days who have bed bug bites. One in Lisbon and the others on the coastal route. I was severely bitten at the Caruma Surf Hostel. When I asked for a refund - I think it is unfair to pay for a bed that will cause me days or maybe weeks of suffering. The response from Caruma Surf Hostel was surprising:
First he accussed me of blackmailing him for a free room.
Then he sent me this a text message: "..we are good people and 28 euros is just a stupid value for stay in a nice place. Just to you now we dont have bed bugs in Portugal this things are from america. This bugs came from america with tourists. You are American, correct??"
Bed bugs can be transported from place to place by people who do not treat their trek items properly and bed bugs are a problem all over Europe and certain other places. It is unknown if the bed bugs originated in the place you stayed or were transported from other places. Many travelers are, quite frankly, careless and, at times, inconsiderate.
Albergue's are often run by the shoe strings, partially due to 'cheap' pilgrims who donate little to nothing. At a regular hotel room, absolutely ask for a refund, but at a Albergue, no. The owners are giving back to pilgrims in so many ways. Take the hit and treat it as a charitable donation even with encountering bed bugs.

@Shadi, sorry for your troubles. Did you carry out the standard checks when you checked in?

Even in “posh” hotels I’ll check the mattress edges and bed frame for bug sign. Scan the walls for bloodstains / squished bugs etc. in a “surfer” hostel I’d probably take a discrete look at the “residents” too.

Damn sight easier to get a refund if you don’t stay the night.

There is great information on this forum about avoiding our oldest companions. I’m sure @trecile or @C clearly will point you in the right direction

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked the CF from SJPDP to SDC twice (2023 & 2024). I stayed mostly in municipal albergues. Both times I became ill with respiratory infection about 2 weeks into the walk. I'm a nurse, so...
Hi Peregrinas/os🙌🏼 Presently on a rest day in Astorga- good thing bc I woke up with asthma symptoms… Ventolin helping a bit. Waiting for guidance from my asthma nurse back home & will see what I...
I have spoken to 4 people in the last 2 days who have bed bug bites. One in Lisbon and the others on the coastal route. I was severely bitten at the Caruma Surf Hostel. When I asked for a refund -...
Does anyone know if the bag transport companies could keep & maintain a refrigerated drug & deliver it every 7 days? For Arthritis

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.