Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back pack storage in St Jean Pied de Port?

Andy in Ohio

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portuguese - March 2022
We would like to explore SJPP in the morning after we arrive, and then depart for Orisson after lunch. If my hotel does not offer storage, do you know where we can store our backpacks while exploring SJPP? I've tried sending emails to the pilgrims office but have not received a reply. Thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you Molly, but I just heard back from the hotel, and they close at 8AM, and don't reopen until 3:30PM! And, no, they will not store our backpacks for a few hours.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
We would like to explore SJPP in the morning after we arrive, and then depart for Orisson after lunch. If my hotel does not offer storage, do you know where we can store our backpacks while exploring SJPP? I've tried sending emails to the pilgrims office but have not received a reply. Thank you!
Andy it sounds like you are booked into an Albergues which are not hotels.
They clear the previous nights pilgrims out by 08.00 Hrs for servicing and do not open again until 14.00 to 15.00 hrs.
Best of luck .

Buen Camino.

I often plan long train journeys to allow three or four hours at interchange stations so I can explore the place. When there are no lockers at the station, as there usually aren't in smaller places, there are several strategies. If there is a staffed booking office I ask if they know anywhere. Last time I did this (in the UK) the staff kindly kept my case in their office. You could contact the local tourist information office and ask them https://www.st-jean-pied-de-port.fr/tourisme/office-de-tourisme/.
Or you can ask, very politely, at a hotel. I always offer to pay. This is probably the easiest option as bigger places will probably have a luggage storage room for guests. I've also sometimes been able to leave luggage at a bar or restaurant.
Once or twice I've just explored the town with my pack. If I'm going to be carrying it for a days walk I should be able to carry it for a few hours around a town.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Earlier this year the pilgrim office allowed me to store my bag there for about 6 hours before I could check in to my hostel.

They might hold it. They are down the street from pilgrims office.

Thank you everyone who answered my question! I just received an email from the SJPP tourism office who said no, there is no luggage storage in SJPP. Rats. A summary of the suggestions are:
1. Make a lunch reservation and maybe the restaurant will hold it for you (from tourism board and another responder)
2. Have Pilgrim's Office hold them before your albergue opens up
3. Offer a few Euros to a hotel to hold them for you
4. Locker storage, but that seemed on the outskirts of town
5. Maybe Express Bouricot might hold it

Thank you again everyone! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Orisson is very specific about the luggage transfer companies they work with: these are Donkey Service (which is NOT Express Bourricot despite a similar name) and Transports Claudine. I have a feeling that both these companies would store your backpack for a fee or, better yet, carry it for you to Orisson. Why not let them do it? Walking to Orisson after a big lunch even without a backpack is a challenge in itself.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Hi. I am starting my camino on Monday 16th Sept at St Jean Pied De Port. I have hust pit my final rucksack together for the first timeit comes in at about 8.5Kg, I am 86Kg so this seems kinda...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back