• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Availability of medical cannabis (with prescription)

meld

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2024
hi everyone, thank you so much for all the info that has been shared - it’s been very helpful with planning my trip in Sep!

I have a bit of a left field question and wondering if someone can help. I take CBD oil for chronic pain but after booking my flight to Lisbon transiting through UAE, I found out it’s completely illegal to carry any cannabis products when transitting through the UAE, even for medication purposes with a doctors letter.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get medical script for CBD oil in Portugal, as a tourist? Any guidance would be much appreciated
🙏🏼

TIA and Bom Caminha!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You're asking if a doctor in Portugal can treat a non-EU foreigner and write a prescription for consumable CDB oil with less than a miniscule amount of THC that can be filled at a pharmacy in Portugal.

As a side note, if you enter Spain, consumable CBD products don't appear to be legal there, only topical.

You might have an easier time if you book a different flight. But I'll defer to others with experience in Portuguese medicine.

You're asking if a doctor in Portugal can treat a non-EU foreigner and write a prescription for consumable CDB oil with less than a miniscule amount of THC that can be filled at a pharmacy in Portugal.

As a side note, if you enter Spain, consumable CBD products don't appear to be legal there, only topical.

You might have an easier time if you book a different flight. But I'll defer to others with experience in Portuguese medicine.
Thanks for clarifying the question - I agree that is what I am asking. However it is a non-refundable flight and I am stuck with it therefore need to find a solution....

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
The UAE anti-drugs laws are very stringent and restrictive. Having detectable levels of a prohibited drug in your bloodstream on arrival - even if it was legally consumed in another country - can be prosecuted as possession. This is part of the UK government advice to travellers to the UAE. The US State Department gives similar warnings to their own nationals.

Screenshot_20240815-093508~2.png

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
That's what Google tells us, as well.

That's why I reworded your original question, to which I, a US nurse who's never used medical services in Portugal, don't have an answer.

Do note: unless your CBD oil is specifically under 0.2 percent THC ("trace" is not compliant with Portuguese law), whatever you may be able to obtain in Portugal may not have the same effect.

Good luck.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's what Google tells us, as well.

That's why I reworded your original question, to which I, a US nurse who's never used medical services in Portugal, don't have an answer.

Do note: unless your CBD oil is specifically under 0.2 percent THC ("trace" is not compliant with Portuguese law), whatever you may be able to obtain in Portugal may not have the same effect.

Good luck.
many thanks for your assistance with this!

Most read last week in this forum

Yesterday I began stage one of my Camino Frances from SJPP to Léon! I finished at Roncesvalles after 9 hours of the challenging but absolutely gorgeous hike from SJPP. However the intensity of the...
What OTC meds can you get in Spain for GERD?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.