• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Asthma in Astorga & gonna climb higher

Vinnie16

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, September to October 2024
Hi Peregrinas/os🙌🏼
Presently on a rest day in Astorga- good thing bc I woke up with asthma symptoms… Ventolin helping a bit. Waiting for guidance from my asthma nurse back home & will see what I can find to support in the farmacias & “natural” farmacias as well. Have only experienced symptoms on steep inclines so far & these resolved on their own. Not loving the shaky post-puff feeling, but what can you do. Have others had similar experiences? Altitude is going to almost double by the Cruz de Ferro. Thank you! Bless! And Buen Camino todos!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Donna! Thanks for replying. I think it’s the altitude. I’m newly asthmatic (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) & I’m still learning my triggers. I’m waiting to hear back from my nurse, but meanwhile have purchased a kind of respiratory syrup which helped a bit, and consulted with a pharmacist here who thinks I should be fine on the climb as long as I take my Ventolin a few times a day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Dick. That’s reassuring, and I had that sense as well. The pharmacist suggested that if the asthma is uncontrolled in a few days, to consult. I have 2 other meds on me I can try if need be.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Agree with Bothydave, pollen, dust and miscellaneous allergens combined with higher than normal humidity will do it for me. Take it slow!

Altitude certainly does not increase any difficulty for me with my late onset asthma. For me dust and certain pollens. Have you been walking through fields before Astorga or been in a dusty accommodation in León?
Yes to fields. Also: I think I was tired & that is definitely one of my triggers. My asthma nurse says it’s just a matter of adapting and that it should calm down, and of course to use the Ventolin as needed. Thank you Bothydave- and everyone! You’re all great!!! Bless🙏🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼

Hi Peregrinas/os🙌🏼
Presently on a rest day in Astorga- good thing bc I woke up with asthma symptoms… Ventolin helping a bit. Waiting for guidance from my asthma nurse back home & will see what I can find to support in the farmacias & “natural” farmacias as well. Have only experienced symptoms on steep inclines so far & these resolved on their own. Not loving the shaky post-puff feeling, but what can you do. Have others had similar experiences? Altitude is going to almost double by the Cruz de Ferro. Thank you! Bless! And Buen Camino todos!
Oh, my - so sorry to hear it. Besides altitude you may be affected by residual smoke coming from fires in Portugal & Northwest Spain a few days ago. Take a break if you need to, perhaps an additional day in Astorga; there is no point in continuing to exert yourself to the point of risking your reaching Santiago. Buen Camino 🙏

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I'm not a nurse.
I do suffer from asthma.
When I was needing to use my inhaler multiple times a week, I was put on a preventer.
You might ask your doc about that when you get home.
Cigarette smoke in Spain definitely did not help.
I would listen to my own healthcare professional before listening to anyone on an online forum!

Oh, my - so sorry to hear it. Besides altitude you may be affected by residual smoke coming from fires in Portugal & Northwest Spain a few days ago. Take a break if you need to, perhaps an additional day in Astorga; there is no point in continuing to exert yourself to the point of risking your reaching Santiago. Buen Camino 🙏
Thank you Aida! Yes I took an extra day here. It is already much better. The syrup & Ventolin are working. And I’m less nervous! Gonna go slowly tmro🙏🏼

Most read last week in this forum

I strayed at ‘El Refugio Naverette’ on 21 September 2024 (last night) and as I slept I was bitten by bed bugs on both my arms and on and my abdomen. There were spots of blood on the paper sheet...
Hi y'all. Been crushing miles on the Camino Frances and a couple of days ago I started having some deep pain in my lower right calf/ankle - the Achilles region. Stretching and flexing the foot...
Hi Peregrinas/os🙌🏼 Presently on a rest day in Astorga- good thing bc I woke up with asthma symptoms… Ventolin helping a bit. Waiting for guidance from my asthma nurse back home & will see what I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.