Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Santiago

Jackie305

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hi, I will be doing the Camino Portuguese, starting in O Porrino. I had previously walked the Camino Primitivo, from Lugo. I am interested in entering Praza do Obradoiro through the "tunnel" with the bagpipe player. I have tried to search on the best route into Santiago, but cannot find what I am looking for. Most maps/ suggestions have me entering the square, with the Cathedral in front of me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Buen Camino everyone

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Mosterio de San Martin Pinario is right before the tunnel. If you do google or Apple Maps directions to there once you are in Santiago you are well positioned to pass through the tunnel

If you have access to the Frances Route (it’s on Camino Ninja app) you can follow the Frances Route in if you can pick it up before the Cathedral

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Portuguese does indeed enter Santiago from a different direction. Here on this map from @wisepilgrim you can see the Portuguese route entering the Praza do Obradoiro in green, and the tunnel I have circled in red. You can just divert when you get near the cathedral, go around the back side of it, and enter through the tunnel. Also remember that while the tunnel is a popular spot for gaiteiros (Galician bagpipe players), there's no guarantee one will be there at the precise moment you walk through.

IMG_9447.jpeg

The Portuguese does indeed enter Santiago from a different direction. Here on this map from @wisepilgrim you can see the Portuguese route entering the Praza do Obradoiro in green, and the tunnel I have circled in red. You can just divert when you get near the cathedral, go around the back side of it, and enter through the tunnel. Also remember that while the tunnel is a popular spot for gaiteiros (Galician bagpipe players), there's no guarantee one will be there at the precise moment you walk through.

View attachment 176532
It's not surprising. The map that jungleboy is sharing probably has north at the top. When you walk the Camino Portugues, you are walking north to Santiago. It thus makes pretty good sense that you'd approach the square from the south. When you walk the Camino Frances, you walk west to Santiago. So it makes sense that you would appraach the square from the east. What you need to do is head east before you get to the Cathedral, turning north again only after you have passed the cathedral, and then head east along the north side of the Cathedral, to the square.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having done my first Camino (Frances) solo I video'd my passage through the tunnel and sent it to my family. On my second Camino (Portugues) with my wife I wanted her to have the experience of the tunnel and pipes, so I did as Jungleboy recommends. We went around the back of the Cathedral across Praza da Quintana, past the Holy Door, and then turned left towards the tunnel.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back