• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • Dear all, Tuesday morning (Santigo time) we will be upgrading the forum to a new version. This means that we will be offline for an hour or so. This will be so for the app and for the website. Thank you for your patience. Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone ? Experience with Hoka Anacapa

walkonrocks

Time of past OR future Camino
October 31st to November 10th
Hi,

I’m considering getting the Hoka Anacapa Breeze Mid for my Camino which will start on 10/31 from Porto to Santiago. Does anyone have experience with this particular model on long walks ? I’m around 100 kg and will carry about 10 on my back.
I read a few times now, to not go with a. gore tex version. What’s everyone’s experience here ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I cant give a recommendation on the Anacapa's; shoes are an individual thing to each person and their feet!! Get the shoes right or they can finish your walk a lot earlier than you want.

I don't know which path your walking Coastal, Senda or Central?
The Coastal and Senda are more or less free of cobble stones and pretty easy on the feet!
If your walking the Central then a cushioned footbed will help with the cobbles.

I only wear Hoka Stinson ATR6 now on my 10th pair; they work for me very well !

They are non waterproof trail runners (in light rain just one pair darn tough merino socks is enough; heavy rain swap them out for Sealskinz waterproof socks) My Hkas have dried out in about 45 minutes (changed out my socks) after 6-7 hours of heavy rain; your feet get wet whatever you wear!!

You need to put some miles on your choice of shoes i brought several variations that in the running shop felt comfy.
But all had issues after 5 or six miles; to late to return them to the store so beware!
I met two people on the Portuguese who's shoes destroyed them : a German guy who's feet were blistered and bleeding after two days and a Panamanian lady who's toenails were black and lifting after three!!!!!

The Stinsons are not perfect ;the fit FOR ME is new shoe on and walk no problem! But the grip for a trail runner in slippy mud is not brilliant so it's a compromise!
Good luck in your shoe choice.
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody

Hoka for trail are usually good shoes in my experience, although they do not last very long (and I personally prefer lighter shoes for hiking). But Vibram soles are still excellent for grip.

Said that, I know this type of comments are annoying and disappointing, but my suggestion is to go to a good shop, discuss with the sellers at length, and try them carefully. There is not really a general rule about shoes. Every person has different needs and the risk of buying the wrong shoes is too high.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was close to buying a pair of Anacapas - which are really nice boots - before I realised a problem for us gaiter-wearers with these and similar flat-soled boots.

As the boots don't have a heel, the "stirrup" strap of the gaiters will always be in contact with the ground, which creates a permanent slip hazard in wet, slippy conditions.

Hi,

I’m considering getting the Hoka Anacapa Breeze Mid for my Camino which will start on 10/31 from Porto to Santiago. Does anyone have experience with this particular model on long walks ? I’m around 100 kg and will carry about 10 on my back.
I read a few times now, to not go with a. gore tex version. What’s everyone’s experience here ?

Don’t use Gore.tex shoes you will only have feet problems . I purchased goretes and had heaps of trouble with hot spots and blisters. They were Hokka Gortex, changed to another pair of Hokka and life was so much easier

I second JustOneGuy : it's impossible to know because each foot is different. Go to a shop if you can.

And as an anecdote, here is my little cautionary tale : I went to a specialized shop, had great advice, tried the Hoka Anacapa 2 (women - low), enjoyed them, bought them in 1and a 1/2 size larger. They were great for small hikes.

The week before my departure, I finally got the chance to try them in a long hike (the temps were over 35°C pretty much all summer before that), and I got a nasty blister on the side. Ah well, they were still lighter and more breathable than my other hiking shoes, I thought stupidly. I'll do my Camino with them.

The first day went ok, though that blister was killing me and each step put an added pressure on it. So I started walking differently in order to avoid that pain. Halfway through the second day, I tore my psoas. There was no false movement, I didn't stumble. It simply came from me trying to avoid the pain of that blister. I had to go back home the next day (thankfully, I had started directly from home, as I live in France).

I looked at the Hoka more closely after that and realized that the heel part inside was quite narrow and went steeply up on the sides. And it just so happens that I walk in a lopsided way (all my shoes get worn a lot faster on the right side of that foot). So that configuration didn't allow my foot to do the movement that came naturally to it in wider shoes.

Anyway, (very) long story short : the anacapa weren't good for me because of the way I walk, and that illustrates how personal shoes are! And also, don't be an idiot like me, always listen to your body : I didn't listen close enough to that blister and ended up with a torn muscle....

I hope you find good shoes and enjoy your Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I cant give a recommendation on the Anacapa's; shoes are an individual thing to each person and their feet!! Get the shoes right or they can finish your walk a lot earlier than you want.

I don't know which path your walking Coastal, Senda or Central?
The Coastal and Senda are more or less free of cobble stones and pretty easy on the feet!
If your walking the Central then a cushioned footbed will help with the cobbles.

I only wear Hoka Stinson ATR6 now on my 10th pair; they work for me very well !

They are non waterproof trail runners (in light rain just one pair darn tough merino socks is enough; heavy rain swap them out for Sealskinz waterproof socks) My Hkas have dried out in about 45 minutes (changed out my socks) after 6-7 hours of heavy rain; your feet get wet whatever you wear!!

You need to put some miles on your choice of shoes i brought several variations that in the running shop felt comfy.
But all had issues after 5 or six miles; to late to return them to the store so beware!
I met two people on the Portuguese who's shoes destroyed them : a German guy who's feet were blistered and bleeding after two days and a Panamanian lady who's toenails were black and lifting after three!!!!!

The Stinsons are not perfect ;the fit FOR ME is new shoe on and walk no problem! But the grip for a trail runner in slippy mud is not brilliant so it's a compromise!
Good luck in your shoe choice.
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody
If Woody 66 is on his/her 10th. pair there must be a problem here, i.e. the shoes wear out too soon. This creates a problem for the environment as too many micro pieces of small of plastic material, from the shoes, are prematurely scattered everywhere and the shoes also end up in landfills prematurely. To the member considering buying these shoes please take into consideration the effect shoes have on the environment.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I am searching for a new trail shoe this year. I have walked the Frances for two years in Hoka Speed Goat 5s. The toe box is too narrow for my foot, and I get blisters on my pinky toes. My shoe...
Hi all ... slow Sunday .. rambling idle thoughts .. Camino - is there anything you would want, or wanted, that doesn't seem to have been invented yet? Or you couldn't find one? I can think of ...
Hi everyone, I'm planing to do the Camino from October 31st - November 10th. Here's my packing list that I have put together. Backpack 36 - 40 Liter with Cover Trail Shoes (2 pairs) was...
Hi, I’m considering getting the Hoka Anacapa Breeze Mid for my Camino which will start on 10/31 from Porto to Santiago. Does anyone have experience with this particular model on long walks ? I’m...
There is a lot of good package lists on the web. However, it seems that almost all are made for a Summer Camino with high temperatures and sunshine in mind. My question is. If I start by crossing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.