• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another kit list thread!

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2024
Hey everyone.

My wife and I are flying next Saturday and starting the Ingles on Tuesday. We think we've got everything we need. I'm posting this here to see if there are any glaring mistakes in there! So, over to you kind, experienced pilgrims :D

35l inca rucksack
3 sets of underwear
3 pairs socks
2 t shirts
1 shirt for evenings
1 hoodie
1 shorts
1 trousers (zip bottoms)
1 knee support
1 pair of walking sandals
1 pair of trail runners
1 poncho
hat
1 lightweight travel towel

First aid kit:

Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Plasters
Blister plasters
Germolene
Bandages
Safety pins
Diarrhoea tablets
Antihistamines
Vaseline
Talcum powder
Sun cream

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Bar of soap
Brush
Deodorant stick

Phone
Charging cable
Plug + Euro adapter
Charging block

Considering:
Sun umbrella
Walking poles
Silk liner. Not sure about this as we are only staying in 1 Albergue in a private room.

Thanks,

Taff

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
You will not need the liner or towel if you’re in private rooms.

Talc? Not recommended for anything these days.

I’d take the poles, unless you don’t ordinarily use them. There are a couple of modest ascents.

Credencial?
PMT: passport, money (and or cards), tickets?

You will not need the liner or towel if you’re in private rooms.

Talc? Not recommended for anything these days.

I’d take the poles, unless you don’t ordinarily use them. There are a couple of modest ascents.

Credencial?
PMT: passport, money (and or cards), tickets?
Thanks for the reply Henry.

Noted about the liner and towel.

We'll probably pick up some poles in Santiago/Ferrol before the walk, we have a few days before we actually walk.

Yeah I didn't put the money, passport credencial on the list. I hope I don't actually forget them haha.

We're considering a bum bag too to keep the valuables in.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Medications/first aid,?
Keep ir minimal, most town have access to shops/Farmacias, to restock supplies if needed.

Safety pins, not necessarily a first aid item, they also are a good way to carry damp socks on your backpack to dry as you walk. Definitely bring a few of those.

And regarding bumbag, good idea. Want to put your main bag down at cafe and then go to the WC? It keeps your essential /hard to replace items close to you.
Also keeping things organized means that you are less likely to misplace such things. Something you'll want to avoid if consistently on the move.

Last edited:
Definitely a bum bag/waist pouch for your day-to-day items. I recommend a few zip-lok bags for waterproofing items such as your medications, credential, passport, a pair of socks, etc. Your hat should also offer protection for the back of your neck.

This is exactly what I pack, except (a) instead of shorts I have 3/4 length leggings; (b) instead of the trousers I have a macabi skirt (which can become pants - kind of - or shorts) and (c) instead of an “evening shirt,” I have a very light swing dress that I also sleep in. Works well to throw it on after showering each day. You may want to suggest that last one for your wife.

I brought a sun umbrella on the Ingles, but most of it is shaded. There are a few spots where you are walking without shade in industrial areas, and I was glad I had my umbrella, but I think I would also have been ok without it.

Although we stayed in private rooms in albergues, I used my liner; there were two places where I was just more comfortable in it rather than directly on the provided sheets. I also took a microfiber towel but didn’t use it.

I was definitely glad I had poles.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Carry a can of sardine or tuna in your bag. If you need to eat food because everything is closed or for any other reasons you have that.

Everything morning before leaving your accommodation get the local taxi phone number if your exhausted, or to help others. A taxi can be very helpful

On lunch time remove your socks and boots while eating. Your feet will dry and prevent futur problems.

If the sun is very strong and hot. You can always buy an umbrella at the Chinese store.

Enjoy

That list looks pretty good. l, too, would add in the bum bag and a couple of Ziploc bags. And poles are a definite for me - so long as you know how to use them properly. Otherwise don't bother, they'll just become extra weight.
My poles carry me: I don't carry them.

I would not bother with the sun umbrella on the Inglés.

One thing I never travel without is an eye mask and earplugs. Walls can be thin, curtains thin or non-existent; there might be a Fiesta in town..... .

Nice list. For me it is wear one pack one.
Re shorts and zip-offs - if you had two identical zip-offs you could take just the one pair of legs, mix and match!
The sandals are for evenings/showers, etc? do you really need them?
I always advise not to use 'blister plasters' .. better to pad a hot spot when felt, then no blister, or if missed that drain blister and cover with a plaster.
Check weather, if hot take some Dioralyte sachets with you to replenish electrolytes.
Safety pins - pop into the baby section of a supermarket and buy nappy (diaper) pins. Bigger, stronger, and they lock securely shut.
A single pole or staff is always a good stability thing on uneven/hilly ground - two poles? invalids apart, no.
I would add a hat and sunglasses.
Also a spoon or spork .... think buying yoghurt or tub of ice cream ... ;)
and for me a small knife (mine Swiss Army) very handy .. blades, toothpick, tweezers, scissors, corkscrew ...
a light supermarket carrier bag for that evening food shopping
and a packet of tissues for emergency toilet paper - plenty of toilets out there with no paper!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks like a good list.

Nit picking..........but

2 t shirts
1 shirt for evenings

Can you make do with 2 shirts, exactly the same?
Wear one wash one.
Your clean one is your evening shirt, and walking shirt next day.

Same thing with the shorts v pants......

But hey, I'm nit picking.
List looks good.

Medications/first aid,?
Keep ir minimal, most town have access to shops/Farmacias, to restock supplies if needed.

Safety pins, not necessarily a first aid item, they also are a good way to carry damp socks on your backpack to dry as you walk. Definitely bring a few of those.
Yes I have first aid kit on the list along with some safety pins. Thanks, I will definitely take a bumbag :)
Definitely a bum bag/waist pouch for your day-to-day items. I recommend a few zip-lok bags for waterproofing items such as your medications, credential, passport, a pair of socks, etc. Your hat should also offer protection for the back of your neck.
Didn't think of zip-lok bags, I'll definitely take a few! Cheers
This is exactly what I pack, except (a) instead of shorts I have 3/4 length leggings; (b) instead of the trousers I have a macabi skirt (which can become pants - kind of - or shorts) and (c) instead of an “evening shirt,” I have a very light swing dress that I also sleep in. Works well to throw it on after showering each day. You may want to suggest that last one for your wife.

I brought a sun umbrella on the Ingles, but most of it is shaded. There are a few spots where you are walking without shade in industrial areas, and I was glad I had my umbrella, but I think I would also have been ok without it.

Although we stayed in private rooms in albergues, I used my liner; there were two places where I was just more comfortable in it rather than directly on the provided sheets. I also took a microfiber towel but didn’t use it.

I was definitely glad I had poles.
Being blonde and very fair skinned I thought I might need an umbrella. I do have a hat which has those silly looking back and sides which totally cover my neck/ears. I might skip it and pick one up of needed.

We are only staying in 1 albergue so I might skip the liner. Also we have a towel each, maybe we should just take 1 between us. Thanks for the reply!
Carry a can of sardine or tuna in your bag. If you need to eat food because everything is closed or for any other reasons you have that.

Everything morning before leaving your accommodation get the local taxi phone number if your exhausted, or to help others. A taxi can be very helpful

On lunch time remove your socks and boots while eating. Your feet will dry and prevent futur problems.

If the sun is very strong and hot. You can always buy an umbrella at the Chinese store.

Enjoy
We'll make sure we have some sort of snack to walk with, not sure it will be a tin of sardines though :p

Good idea about the umbrella. Think I'll leave it and just see how it goes.
That list looks pretty good. l, too, would add in the bum bag and a couple of Ziploc bags. And poles are a definite for me - so long as you know how to use them properly. Otherwise don't bother, they'll just become extra weight.
My poles carry me: I don't carry them.

I would not bother with the sun umbrella on the Inglés.

One thing I never travel without is an eye mask and earplugs. Walls can be thin, curtains thin or non-existent; there might be a Fiesta in town..... .
Eye mask! Good idea. We have some of those so will pop 1 in. We do plan on bringing ear plugs, just forgot to put them on that list. Cheers Peter.
Nice list. For me it is wear one pack one.
Re shorts and zip-offs - if you had two identical zip-offs you could take just the one pair of legs, mix and match!
The sandals are for evenings/showers, etc? do you really need them?
I always advise not to use 'blister plasters' .. better to pad a hot spot when felt, then no blister, or if missed that drain blister and cover with a plaster.
Check weather, if hot take some Dioralyte sachets with you to replenish electrolytes.
Safety pins - pop into the baby section of a supermarket and buy nappy (diaper) pins. Bigger, stronger, and they lock securely shut.
A single pole or staff is always a good stability thing on uneven/hilly ground - two poles? invalids apart, no.
I would add a hat and sunglasses.
Also a spoon or spork .... think buying yoghurt or tub of ice cream ... ;)
and for me a small knife (mine Swiss Army) very handy .. blades, toothpick, tweezers, scissors, corkscrew ...
a light supermarket carrier bag for that evening food shopping
and a packet of tissues for emergency toilet paper - plenty of toilets out there with no paper!
I only have 1 pair of zip offs and 1 pair of normal shorts so not an issue there. The sandals were more for evening wear and we have 2 days before, 1 rest day and 1 day after the camino. I could probably do without them. I'll pack my rucksack and see how the weight is.

Good ideas about toilet roll, spork and swiss army knife!
Looks like a good list.

Nit picking..........but

2 t shirts
1 shirt for evenings

Can you make do with 2 shirts, exactly the same?
Wear one wash one.
Your clean one is your evening shirt, and walking shirt next day.

Same thing with the shorts v pants......

But hey, I'm nit picking.
List looks good.
I might pack and see how the weight is and maybe ditch the shirt if I have to. I only have 1 pair of shorts and 1 pairs of trousers with zip off legs :)

Hey everyone.

My wife and I are flying next Saturday and starting the Ingles on Tuesday. We think we've got everything we need. I'm posting this here to see if there are any glaring mistakes in there! So, over to you kind, experienced pilgrims :D

35l inca rucksack
3 sets of underwear
3 pairs socks
2 t shirts
1 shirt for evenings
1 hoodie
1 shorts
1 trousers (zip bottoms)
1 knee support
1 pair of trail runners
1 poncho
hat

First aid kit:

Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Plasters
Blister plasters
Germolene
Bandages
Safety pins
Diarrhoea tablets
Antihistamines
Vaseline
Talcum powder
Sun cream

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Bar of soap
Brush
Deodorant stick

Phone
Charging cable
Plug + Euro adapter
Charging block

Considering:
Sun umbrella
Walking poles
Silk liner. Not sure about this as we are only staying in 1 Albergue in a private room.

Thanks,

Taff
I suggest taking some clothes pins, handy for hanging clothes to dry.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Be careful about the knife. A recent thread had a fair few comments about said item. If you are in danger of having it taken away by security, just buy one after you get to Spain, specially if you have a few days before you walk to source one. Perhaps a couple of bags of different colours to keep your things easy to find inside your backpack. The kind you can sit on and squeeze the air out of, so they take up less space. If you have a hat, don't waste money buying another! And if it happens to be hot, soak it and it will feel wonderful when you put it on and it cools your head! Buen camino.

Hi @Wandering Taff -

Excellent list!

A suggestion for the hiking poles - if you go to Pilgrim House at Rua Nova 19 in Santiago de Compostela before you start walking the Ingles, you might find that you can pick up some used hiking poles there for a donation. See Nate or Faith, who run this wonderful pilgrim drop in centre.

It would be cool, by the use of the poles, to add your Ingles camino to another pilgrim’s or pilgrims’ camino/s and to be a part of a longer Camino story which will be a mystery (who owned the poles? You’ll never know) until you add your own story should you keep the poles and take them home. An option, after your camino, would be to donate the poles back to Pilgrim House and then the mystery will continue. Any Camino item sure has a story or two attached to it and who doesn’t love a mystery!

Buen Camino and best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

Looks great Taff. Pretty similar to mine, except I skipped the sandals and most of the first aid, used a jacket rather than poncho and carried a sleeping bag. Didn't take a bumbag or poles. Wrestling with type(s) of hat to bring on my next Camino, broad-brimmed sun hat (sunny days), baseball cap (for windy days) or beanie (cold days, early mornings), or all three. I'd be interested in what your final weight ends up being. Ultreia!

I suggest taking some clothes pins, handy for hanging clothes to dry.
I'll pop a couple in, thank you.
Don't leave your umbrella, or, ok, buy one in Santiago or Ferrol. You might not need it for the sun but I think you will appreciate it when the rain in Galicia gets you. Buen Camino
We may pick one up in Santiago/Ferrol :)
Hi @Wandering Taff -

Excellent list!

A suggestion for the hiking poles - if you go to Pilgrim House at Rua Nova 19 in Santiago de Compostela before you start walking the Ingles, you might find that you can pick up some used hiking poles there for a donation. See Nate or Faith, who run this wonderful pilgrim drop in centre.

It would be cool, by the use of the poles, to add your Ingles camino to another pilgrim’s or pilgrims’ camino/s and to be a part of a longer Camino story which will be a mystery (who owned the poles? You’ll never know) until you add your own story should you keep the poles and take them home. An option, after your camino, would be to donate the poles back to Pilgrim House and then the mystery will continue. Any Camino item sure has a story or two attached to it and who doesn’t love a mystery!

Buen Camino and best wishes from Oz -
Jenny
Love this idea! We'll definitely pop in there and see what they have :D
Looks great Taff. Pretty similar to mine, except I skipped the sandals and most of the first aid, used a jacket rather than poncho and carried a sleeping bag. Didn't take a bumbag or poles. Wrestling with type(s) of hat to bring on my next Camino, broad-brimmed sun hat (sunny days), baseball cap (for windy days) or beanie (cold days, early mornings), or all three. I'd be interested in what your final weight ends up being. Ultreia!
I'll weigh up before we leave :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You won't necessarily be able to pick a hat up just when you need it. I left mine in O Burgo (coming from A Coruña) and wasn't able to get another until Sigueiro. And then the only one that fitted was a rather unflattering pink and grey polycotton bucket style. Though it does look as if both Pontedeume and Betanzos have bazaar shops, which is where I found mine.

You won't necessarily be able to pick a hat up just when you need it. I left mine in O Burgo (coming from A Coruña) and wasn't able to get another until Sigueiro. And then the only one that fitted was a rather unflattering pink and grey polycotton bucket style. Though it does look as if both Pontedeume and Betanzos have bazaar shops, which is where I found mine.
I already have a hat, I was going to pick up an umbrella if needed :)

Hey everyone.

35l inca rucksack
3 sets of underwear
3 pairs socks
2 t shirts
1 shirt for evenings
1 hoodie
1 shorts
1 trousers (zip bottoms)
1 knee support
1 pair of trail runners
1 poncho
hat

First aid kit:

Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Plasters
Blister plasters
Germolene
Bandages
Safety pins
Diarrhoea tablets
Antihistamines
Vaseline
Talcum powder
Sun cream

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Bar of soap
Brush
Deodorant stick

Phone
Charging cable
Plug + Euro adapter
Charging block

Considering:
Sun umbrella
Walking poles

Thanks,

Taff
What about a headlamp? It doesn't get light until after 7am.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's not going to be hot on the Camino Ingles next week. Why walk early in the dark and miss the scenery, the yellow arrows and tripping hazards? A smart phone flashlight will be plenty in albergues for finding the bathroom during the night. Leave the albergue a little before 8 after you tidy up after yourself. Buen Camino

smart phone flashlight
Please don't be one of those horrible people that uses their smartphone torches - they're far too bright. A tiny keychain fob light is very cheap, weighs almost nothing, produces more than enough light to see your way to the bathroom and doesn't wake all your neighbours in the process

Please don't be one of those horrible people that uses their smartphone torches - they're far too bright. A tiny keychain fob light is very cheap, weighs almost nothing, produces more than enough light to see your way to the bathroom and doesn't wake all your neighbours in the process
Oh you are so right, please don't use smartphone torches ...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You know, you can change the brightness level on them …
IMG_4505.png

Indeed, but sadly, no one ever seems to.
For those of you that do remember to do so every single night clearly my comment does not apply.
A mini torch does not rely on the frailty of us humans, nor is it subject to such whimsical notions as consideration for others.

Last edited:
Mea culpa. I actually use a small push button light that is smaller than my little finger. In comparison, head lights are huge and heavy. I'm not very smart about smart phones. Also, I have walked in the pre dawn darkness to keep up with Camino family, but don't recommend it. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
People feel various ways about a knife, and I'm not interested in the pros or cons of that discussion — my point here is more practical:

If you're carrying a knife, particularly a SAK (Swiss Army Knife), ensure that it is not the kind that automatically locks the blade when fully-extended. These are illegal in Spain, and you may be subject to more than just confiscation of the knife if you're caught with it. A legal alternative is to carry a French-made Opinel, which has a manual "twist-lock" collar (and very nice wooden handles which feel good), or any other small knife which does not auto-lock. I have a SAK without the auto-lock feature, though it's not coming with me this time.

There are also good-quality, very sturdy plastic knives (available at finer camping goods stores throughout the Western world) which can cut most cheeses and deli meats, spread paté on bread/crackers, etc. I always carry one of those, 'cause you never know where you're going to encounter your next snack. 😋 I'm still debating the Opinel, but am leaning toward leaving it behind this trip, since it's mostly an urban/rural mix I'll be walking through on the Camino Frances.

In lieu of the above, a small pair of scissors (for things like cutting your moleskin for blister prevention) might be a worthwhile addition.

I'm a big fan of the Opinel Inox (stainless steel). You can buy a small one at any ferreteria (hardware store) for under 10 euros. Cool apple wood handles, made in France. The carbon blade ones get and stay sharper but are prone to rust. Both are very safe with their twist lock. I also carry very small scissors. Both of these are worth their weight. Whenever I leave one or the other behind to save weight I end up buying one somewhere along the Camino. Buen Camino

Hey everyone.

35l inca rucksack
3 sets of underwear
3 pairs socks
2 t shirts
1 shirt for evenings
1 hoodie
1 shorts
1 trousers (zip bottoms)
1 knee support
1 pair of trail runners
1 poncho
hat

First aid kit:

Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Plasters
Blister plasters
Germolene
Bandages
Safety pins
Diarrhoea tablets
Antihistamines
Vaseline
Talcum powder
Sun cream

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Bar of soap
Brush
Deodorant stick

Phone
Charging cable
Plug + Euro adapter
Charging block

Considering:
Sun umbrella
Walking poles

Thanks,

Taff
Hi theres a possibility the weather will be cooler and wetter so you may require extra clothes in case you get wet. Also you must need jackets for day and evening

What about a headlamp? It doesn't get light until after 7am.
We are walking over 7 days so won't be setting off until gone 7am each day.
It's not going to be hot on the Camino Ingles next week. Why walk early in the dark and miss the scenery, the yellow arrows and tripping hazards? A smart phone flashlight will be plenty in albergues for finding the bathroom during the night. Leave the albergue a little before 8 after you tidy up after yourself. Buen Camino
See above reply :)
People feel various ways about a knife, and I'm not interested in the pros or cons of that discussion — my point here is more practical:

If you're carrying a knife, particularly a SAK (Swiss Army Knife), ensure that it is not the kind that automatically locks the blade when fully-extended. These are illegal in Spain, and you may be subject to more than just confiscation of the knife if you're caught with it. A legal alternative is to carry a French-made Opinel, which has a manual "twist-lock" collar (and very nice wooden handles which feel good), or any other small knife which does not auto-lock. I have a SAK without the auto-lock feature, though it's not coming with me this time.

There are also good-quality, very sturdy plastic knives (available at finer camping goods stores throughout the Western world) which can cut most cheeses and deli meats, spread paté on bread/crackers, etc. I always carry one of those, 'cause you never know where you're going to encounter your next snack. 😋 I'm still debating the Opinel, but am leaning toward leaving it behind this trip, since it's mostly an urban/rural mix I'll be walking through on the Camino Frances.

In lieu of the above, a small pair of scissors (for things like cutting your moleskin for blister prevention) might be a worthwhile addition.
I'm not totally sure I'll be bringing one, but if I do I will make sure it is not an autolock one. Thanks for this info :)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth...
I'm plan to complete the Camino Frances in a final 2 week stint from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela. I'll need to wash clothes half way, which will probably be near Sarria. Does anyone know...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.