• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

American Discovery Trail - Across Northern and Southern Illinois

Dave

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
A little flooding on the Mississippi couldn't stop me from crossing into Iowa today, as I approach the 500-mile mark on this walk. This means I've now completed the American Discovery Trail's northern route across Illinois, to pair with my double-crossing of Indiana. Illinois has significant advantages over Indiana on the walking front, with both approaches enjoying extended stretches of footpaths and dirt roads, as opposed to the relentless pavement of the Hoosier state.

Both options through Illinois are worth considering if you're looking for a walking trip in the US. The southern approach is more rugged (particularly the first half), with some longer sections with little in the realm of services. You'd need to be comfortable with camping. Even later, you'd want to consider making some modifications, as I did. By contrast, the north could probably be done with more comfortable accommodation on a nightly basis, though some shuttling might be needed. That route follows the Illinois & Michigan Canal after Joliet, and then transitions to the Hennepin Canal following a road-bound stretch between Peru and Bureau Junction. While the scenery runs the same risk of repetition that similar canal walking on the C&O in Maryland does, I was rarely bored. I loved tracking the turtles, herons, deer, beavers, bunnies, and other birds as I marched along, and I was charmed by the American lotus on the Hennepin. Plus, the regular towns along the I&MC are charming--I was particularly struck by Morris and Utica.

Here are my write-ups from each of these journeys across Illinois:

Southern Illinois:
Northern Illinois:
And now, onto a very long stretch through Iowa. And if there are any Iowa pilgrims out there, I'll be meeting your APOC chapter in Santiago, Iowa on July 27 and joining them for the walk back to Bondurant--and maybe some drinks afterward. Hope to see you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A little flooding on the Mississippi couldn't stop me from crossing into Iowa today, as I approach the 500-mile mark on this walk. This means I've now completed the American Discovery Trail's northern route across Illinois, to pair with my double-crossing of Indiana. Illinois has significant advantages over Indiana on the walking front, with both approaches enjoying extended stretches of footpaths and dirt roads, as opposed to the relentless pavement of the Hoosier state.

Both options through Illinois are worth considering if you're looking for a walking trip in the US. The southern approach is more rugged (particularly the first half), with some longer sections with little in the realm of services. You'd need to be comfortable with camping. Even later, you'd want to consider making some modifications, as I did. By contrast, the north could probably be done with more comfortable accommodation on a nightly basis, though some shuttling might be needed. That route follows the Illinois & Michigan Canal after Joliet, and then transitions to the Hennepin Canal following a road-bound stretch between Peru and Bureau Junction. While the scenery runs the same risk of repetition that similar canal walking on the C&O in Maryland does, I was rarely bored. I loved tracking the turtles, herons, deer, beavers, bunnies, and other birds as I marched along, and I was charmed by the American lotus on the Hennepin. Plus, the regular towns along the I&MC are charming--I was particularly struck by Morris and Utica.

Southern Illinois:
Northern Illinois:
And now, onto a very long stretch through Iowa. And if there are any Iowa pilgrims out there, I'll be meeting your APOC chapter in Santiago, Iowa on July 27 and joining them for the walk back to Bondurant--and maybe some drinks afterward. Hope to see you!
Hi Dave, I too think Utica is a very cute town and it is close to Starved Rock State Park; one of northern Illinois' gems with beautiful canyons and waterfalls, smack in the middle of the land of cornfields. I have been hiking there numerous times over many years, along ewith biking the I & M canal.
Anyhoo, one of my Camino girlfriends lives in Davenport and has informed me that she is looking forward to meeting you at the APOC Iowa chapter meeting on July 27th...lucky her!

I wish I could have made it over to Starved Rock State Park! Someday, I'll come back and spend more time in this area--I was flying through here. I look forward to meeting your friend!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Southern Illinois:
Northern Illinois:
I'd love to! Can you PM me with specifics? I live in Omaha but that's close enough, right?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back