• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I being too greedy or ambitious? Le Puy AND start in Geneva?

CTLawGal

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2023
I am starting to plan my second Camino, focusing on Le Puy (although a little tempted to return to the Norte/Primitivo/Fisterre of my first Camino in Spring 2023... maybe next time!).

I've started reading through the posts on Le Puy, lots of good material there! Trying to absorb it all. I am thinking about maybe starting on the GR65 in Geneva, which would add another 3 weeks (I think I'll be able to do Le Puy to SJPDP in about 32-33 days) and would love to hear from others who have combined the two. That would make it maybe 10 days more than my first Camino, so I think I should be able to do it, although I was extremely exhausted my last day and remember thinking it's a good thing today IS my last day, I don't think I could do more (but maybe it felt like that because I KNEW it was my last day?).

Should I stick with my original plan to start in Le Puy? Am I being greedy or too ambitious to try to add another 3 weeks?

For those who have walked both Norte/Primitivo and Geneva/Le Puy, how does it compare elevation gain wise? From what I can tell from the guidebooks, it looks like mostly a bit easier, more moderate than the Norte/Primitivo, a few long days with some elevation gain, but mostly moderate. Does that sound right?

I will be 66 in the spring and I speak French ( a little rusty, but have fond memories of my last Camino with entire days speaking only French with pilgrims who spoke no or limited English). I am female and walked by myself, I never felt unsafe on my last Camino; do those of you who have walked either or both of these routes think any particular precautions are in order?

I'm also trying to decide whether to start mid-April, or maybe 3rd week of April, not sure if starting in Geneva impacts timing decision. I appreciate that weather can be unpredictable so it's hard to second guess timing, but I also know that there are lots of French holidays during May. I don't mind the cold, but don't love torrential downpours, but am prepared to walk in both.

Thank you in advance for all advice! While I've responded to many posts, I think this is my first query! Everyone on this forum is so helpful!

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
@CTLawGal , there’s quite a few forum members that have done this, hopefully some of them will chip in. I’ve only looked at it from a planning perspective to date.

Have you read this sub forum for the Via Gebennensis?

@caminka has loaded a ton of info in the resources section too.

Edited to add: if you want a good read, don't miss the highly entertaining threads from @sunflowerfunk ! ( Via Gebennensis and Le Puy). Unfortunately Max never completed the Le Puy thread (I'm still hopeful)

Last edited:
Since you are concerned about the time, I'll throw another option at you: Maybe consider starting in Lyon. I visited in 2022 and it was fabulous. Beautiful cathedral, Roman amphitheater and museum, les traboules, not to mention the best food in France.

You can check out the route to Le Puy here, you'll just need to translate the page.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
@CTLawGal , there’s quite a few forum members that have done this, hopefully some of them will chip in. I’ve only looked at it from a planning perspective to date.

Have you read this sub forum for the Via Gebennensis?

@caminka has loaded a ton of info in the resources section too.

Edited to add: if you want a good read, don't miss the highly entertaining threads from @sunflowerfunk ! ( Via Gebennensis and Le Puy). Unfortunately Max never completed the Le Puy thread (I'm still hopeful)
Thanks so much - I’ve been reading thru posts on the sub forum, lots of great info and really benefitting from the real life insights of others. Lots to absorb. Right now I’m trying to focus on the route and how far to walk, then keep filling in as I make the rest of my plans. Everyone seems to endorse booking early (now might be a was too early for some places) especially in May which seems to be popular time for the French to walk certain portions. I’m a planner and feel like I need to settle on the basic outline of the trip for now. For a variety of reasons I couldn’t go this year and I’m just itching to go back!

Since you are concerned about the time, I'll throw another option at you: Maybe consider starting in Lyon. I visited in 2022 and it was fabulous. Beautiful cathedral, Roman amphitheater and museum, les traboules, not to mention the best food in France.

You can check out the route to Le Puy here, you'll just need to translate the page.
Interesting idea! I wondered if it would be difficult to find my way from Lyons. Hard to pass up best food in France!!

I haven't done it, though earlier this year was planning on doing Geneva ----> as well.

Consequently, I looked into it quite a bit but ended up changing and will therefore leave the comments to others-- except to wish you well and to mention that Efren did Geneva to Le Puy and Le Puy to SJ. I think you will find his Geneva- Le Puy videos quite helpful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked many Caminos and I have mixed feelings about this topic. I usually try to book private lodgings in recent years when I walk on less traveled Caminos as I prefer to feel confident I...
I’m just two weeks away from my next Camino, and of course, I’m in full-on research mode—scrolling through every forum I can find (yes, that includes Reddit). One thing I’ve noticed? The number of...
Hi Everyone, Grateful for this community as my wife and I are planning our first Camino after 13 years of longing to go! We will be walking in mid-May to mid-June and I have a few questions...
Back on the Frances and hope to get to Santiago this time. This is my 3rd part of this Camino, 1st to Logrono 2022, 2nd to Leon 2023. After a bit of a hectic day getting to Leon from my home in...
As I have been recently diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease I feel like I want to walk another Camino. We did the Frances and very much loved it. My wife said find a path with infrastructure so...
This is from Greek Travel Pages but ruling should apply to Spain and give pilgrims a better deal when booking accommodation court ruling

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back