• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Altus H30 vs J30

Jenyat53

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
Could someone please clarify the difference between the H30 and J30?
As I age I am thinking of trading in my trusty old 10 camino Ferrino Trekker (I don’t walk in hot weather, open zip at every opportunity and have never been soaked) on an Altus as they are significantly lighter but while some swear by the Altus a number of reviews both in this forum and others complain about being soaked beneath their Altus … so feeling a bit apprehensive about the swap.
(I wonder if those complaining simply didn’t realise that you can ‘stew’ in your own moisture from within if you have no air circulation 🤷‍♀️) or whether occasionally the Altus does fail.
Many thanks in advance for your responses. 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
At risk of sounding like a kook...OK I might be past that point...but may I suggest the:

It has huge pit zips for ventilation, is rated at 5,000 schmerber, so very waterproof, and can be seen from space. At 45 Euros, it is affordable.
The money that you save...should you see anyone on the trail with a backpack like that in the profile picture, buy him a beer, or three.

The only thing I can see if that they say that the new J30 is made from recycled material, this is not mentioned in the product description on the old H30. If anyone finds out anything else, I would love to know since I have gotten this question a lot.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Could someone please clarify the difference between the H30 and J30?
As I age I am thinking of trading in my trusty old 10 camino Ferrino Trekker (I don’t walk in hot weather, open zip at every opportunity and have never been soaked) on an Altus as they are significantly lighter but while some swear by the Altus a number of reviews both in this forum and others complain about being soaked beneath their Altus … so feeling a bit apprehensive about the swap.
(I wonder if those complaining simply didn’t realise that you can ‘stew’ in your own moisture from within if you have no air circulation 🤷‍♀️) or whether occasionally the Altus does fail.
Many thanks in advance for your responses. 😊
Just finished the Norte and used my Altus poncho. I’m 100 pounds and don’t sweat much and my husband and I were soaking wet in our ponchos. Will be buying Decathlon’s version for our next Camino.

Just finished the Norte and used my Altus poncho. I’m 100 pounds and don’t sweat much and my husband and I were soaking wet in our ponchos. Will be buying Decathlon’s version for our next Camino.
Sound like a mobile sauna to me to!

The only thing I can see if that they say that the new J30 is made from recycled material, this is not mentioned in the product description on the old H30. If anyone finds out anything else, I would love to know since I have gotten this question a lot.
Here are the product descriptions form the Altus.es web site:

H30 - https://wearealtus.com/en/rain-series/atmospheric-h30

J30 - https://wearealtus.com/en/autumnwinter-24/atmospheric-j30

As Ivar pointed out, the only difference I can find is that the J30 claims to be made from recycled materials. EXCEPT that BOTH ponchos claim to be made of: 100% PES Ripstop 20D R/S PU. The J30 description adds the words "100% recycled," after 100% PES Ripstop 20D R/S PU..."

The other difference is the available colors between the two models. BOTH claim the same - 300 gram weight.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
At risk of sounding like a kook...OK I might be past that point...but may I suggest the:

It has huge pit zips for ventilation, is rated at 5,000 schmerber, so very waterproof, and can be seen from space. At 45 Euros, it is affordable.
The money that you save...should you see anyone on the trail with a backpack like that in the profile picture, buy him a beer, or three.
Like the idea of the pit zips - I wonder if I could get my Altus converted?

Here's a DIY way to add pit zips

Excellent, thank you - I would have split the seam and then added the zip. This way is much better!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like the idea of the pit zips - I wonder if I could get my Altus converted?
So, I had considered that, along with adding the pocket slits that the Decathalon has. Turned out that having it done (I’m no seamstress) would cost the same and add as much weight as buying the Decathlon. So I bought the Decathalon.

Here's a DIY way to add pit zips

Great post. I love the different DIY hacks, mods, McGyver-ing (word?) that I see people do. I’d almost like to see a separate category or forum board devoted just to people modifying or otherwise creatively defacing their gear. I’m much more impressed by someone’s gear/clothes if they’ve ’made it their own’ creatively than some over-priced designer brand name gear.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there fellow Peregrinos! I will walk my first Camino in May 2025 and am slowly gathering my equipment. I have my boots that I've been hiking in and this pair seem to be good. I really want a...
Good afternoon. Probably this is a trivial question, but I am asking nevertheless. Is there a app for Android or a very cheap gps watch only for distance/time and therefore speed? On my Samsung I...
I am currently looking for a new backpack for my next camino and was wondering if anybody on the forum has triednwith the gossamer G4-20 UL 42 ?
Could someone please clarify the difference between the H30 and J30? As I age I am thinking of trading in my trusty old 10 camino Ferrino Trekker (I don’t walk in hot weather, open zip at every...
Hi. I'm planning my CF next May/June from SJPDP. My base weight varies from 4,4 kg. (light version) to 4,7 kg. (medium-rare) to 5,1 (full Monty). I am very undecided as far as the backpack is...
I am leaving my island next week for a short trip to Quebec City, my home town and I will have a look to the MEC Serratus 40, seems interesting, has anybody tried it ...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back