Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues after Santander

countryman

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo Summer 2019
Hi everyone

I have got about a week free at the end of July and thinking about spending it on the Norte having previously walked the Frances and Primitivo pre-Covid. While I'd love to do the Irun to Bilbao stretch, I think we'll have to rule it out as iit seems like accommodation will be very sparse and expensive on that section. Is it likely to be better after Santander? Are we likely to be able to turn up and find albergue beds in the 10-15 euro range on this stretch like I have on previous camino? Or will we likely have to be booking private albergues or guest houses on this stretch too? Could also consider from Gijon/Aviles if that is likely to be better and still attractive walking? These are the places I can find cheap flights to at short notice so main options for starting points!
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Many people go to the northern coast for vacation during August. I’ve only hiked the Norte in September / October so haven’t experienced summer “crowds” myself, it’s just what I’ve heard. There could be less private lodging available because of vacationers. Albergues should be open though to accommodate pilgrims. If it were me, I would still take a chance. The northern coast is lovely. And it’s not like heat in the south in August, which would deter me for sure on walking the VdlP that time of year.

Hi everyone

I have got about a week free at the end of July and thinking about spending it on the Norte having previously walked the Frances and Primitivo pre-Covid. While I'd love to do the Irun to Bilbao stretch, I think we'll have to rule it out as iit seems like accommodation will be very sparse and expensive on that section. Is it likely to be better after Santander? Are we likely to be able to turn up and find albergue beds in the 10-15 euro range on this stretch like I have on previous camino? Or will we likely have to be booking private albergues or guest houses on this stretch too? Could also consider from Gijon/Aviles if that is likely to be better and still attractive walking? These are the places I can find cheap flights to at short notice so main options for starting points!
Gronze https://www.gronze.com/etapa/santillana-mar/comillas# is probably the best source for accommodations on that stretch. There are a reasonable number of Albergue. Some accept reservations but many don’t. Santander to Ribadesella is probably doable in your time frame and the FEVE would get you back to Santander. Happy planning

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi everyone

Welcome to the forum @countryman.
We walked part of the Norte after Santander (in 2013) and took the FEVE from Santander to Barreda (cercania - was every 30 minutes).That gave us just over 7kms to Santillana del Mar. We found accommodation there and as far as LLanes before turning towards Covadonga. On another occasion we walked further along the coast, and as @Tincatinker has said you can use the FEVE to return to Santander (only 2 trains daily on this longer run)
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, nice to meet you all. I will be doing my first Camino in a few weeks, on the Camino Del Norte. I only have 10 days and plan to experience a bit of the coast line, reach an intermediate...
Hola, I'm in the early stages of planning my first Camino next April-May. Due to health issues, I cannot carry a heavy pack like I used to, so it's either use a luggage transfer service or not...
I am wondering if the Camino del Norte is the next one for me. I have walked the Portugues (more than once) and loved it. I am tempted to go back and walk it again. I have walked the Frances but...
Hello! I am planning my fist (half) Camino and will land to Santander October 9. I was leaning towards the Camino del Norte for the scenery but it seems from other posts that in October most...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back