Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Peregrinos Ribadiso

patriciafross

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2022
Hi all. I will be walking the Camino Frances in September ( I started in Le Puy in 2022 and will “finish” this year!) and hope to stay at the ALBERGUE Peregrinos Ribadiso around September 21. I’m aware they don’t take reservations. My husband, daughter, and grandson will be meeting me for my final week and I am wondering if I have to worry about getting 4 beds at this Albergue considering the uptick in pilgrim numbers this year. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello
Well... if you are totally zeroed-in on this particular albergue anything anyone of us can tell you will be an educated guess at best. We can tell you 'not to worry" and yet when you'll arrive there could be no beds and especially for 4 people.
The way I see it your options are:
  • Perhaps try to contact the albergue directly and see if THEY have any suggestions
  • Forget about this particular albergue and go to another one (especially looking at those that DO take reservations; I mean 4 people thata reasonably sizable group)
  • Hope for the best and just show up (Probably lots of Prayers here)
Sorry, wish I could do better but again who can predict what will be happening 3.5 months from now?
Also please take into consideration that no matter what the suggestions may be, it still will be the decision that YOU have to make.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Whether you worry or not, you won't know until you get there whether there will be beds available for the four of you. Nor can we do other than guess!

That said, my experience over the last couple of years with Xunta albergues, albeit not on the CF in late September, was that only one had over 50% of the available beds occupied.

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Hi all. I will be walking the Camino Frances in September ( I started in Le Puy in 2022 and will “finish” this year!) and hope to stay at the ALBERGUE Peregrinos Ribadiso around September 21. I’m aware they don’t take reservations. My husband, daughter, and grandson will be meeting me for my final week and I am wondering if I have to worry about getting 4 beds at this Albergue considering the uptick in pilgrim numbers this year. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
Why that particular albergue? It seems an odd place to get to for your family just starting out. How will they get there? Walk down from Arzua? Just wondering about the logistics here. It’s a really nice municipal, but it can get full quite early on. It was completo when I stayed there in 2018. There is a private albergue next door, where you could reserve 4 beds . . .

Why that particular albergue? It seems an odd place to get to for your family just starting out. How will they get there? Walk down from Arzua? Just wondering about the logistics here. It’s a really nice municipal, but it can get full quite early on. It was completo when I stayed there in 2018. There is a private albergue next door, where you could reserve 4 beds . . .
They will be meeting me in Palais de Rey. My husband stayed at this Albergue in November 2022 and at that time, he and my daughter were the only ones! 🤣

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
My first stay there was also in November (2013). The hospitalera directed my sister and I to a 4-bed (2-bunk) room, off one of the main dorms. We threw all our stuff across all 4 beds so they all looked occupied (bad pilgrims 🙃), so we had the room to ourselves. But there weren’t many people staying in November anyway 😀.

We (a group of 14) stayed at Ribadiso in May - of course, no reservations, and the albergue was not completo (full), even after a group fo 20+ Irish high school students showed up. The albergue opens at 1 and the sooner you get there after 1, the greater your chances of getting beds. Because you can't make reservations, people often prefer to stay where they can make reservations, meaning that the Xunta albergues don't always fill up. We also stayed at Xunta albergues in O Cebreiro and Portomarin and those did fill up, but in the later afternoon. Hope this helps.

I would add that the albergue in Ribadiso is not to be missed: it is a special place.

We (a group of 14) stayed at Ribadiso in May - of course, no reservations, and the albergue was not completo (full), even after a group fo 20+ Irish high school students showed up. The albergue opens at 1 and the sooner you get there after 1, the greater your chances of getting beds. Because you can't make reservations, people often prefer to stay where they can make reservations, meaning that the Xunta albergues don't always fill up. We also stayed at Xunta albergues in O Cebreiro and Portomarin and those did fill up, but in the later afternoon. Hope this helps.

I would add that the albergue in Ribadiso is not to be missed: it is a special place.
Thanks so much for the encouragement that we may luck out!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If things seem busy when you are starting your walk, there is a private albergue or pensión right across the street *that has a pool*!! And another one, I think it’s “Los Caminantes” about 100-200m (I’m trying to think in metric, don’t quote me on this!) that is also private with friendly staff and dumpy, damp double rooms. Wherever you stay, make sure to cool your feet in the frigid river and admire the medieval bridge. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I volunteered there for two weeks last August. We were only full one day. Your chances of getting beds are very good. And they even have a little side room that they will give families (if available).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- I will be finishing up the Via Podiensis in a few days and then starting on the Frances from SJPDP. Is there any reason for me to visit the pilgrim office (and probably wait on a long line)...
I am an Old School Pilgrim, too set in my ways, I can understand and accept the Cell Phone priorities sweeping today's Pilgrim community back in the good old bad days coin-fed albergue computers...
I arrived on the Francés yesterday in Estella. Stayed in the Albergue Curtadores on the entry to town. Few pilgrims for a big albergue. And tonight I’m by myself at the one-of-a-kind Casa Tiago in...
My wife and I are planning to return to the CF next May (2025), having walked it in 2016. How far in advance can one book beds at Orisson and Roncesvalles? We had no trouble pre-booking these last...
I passed through Nájera today. To quote John Lennon, “ I just had to look”. As you probably know, the red sandstone cliffs run right alongside the houses. Definitely unusual. These red beds...
i did the French way a couple of years ago from Roncesvalles, right after covid. i’m elderly and very slow. i would like to return in 2025, to do it again while my body may still let me. last...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back