• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Canfranc is closed

Simsim

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy, Vezelay, Frances, Via de la Plata a.o.
Today I am really surprised and shocked (I posted an comment at Gronze), that the Albergue in Canfranc is closed one month before the official date. No warning in Gronze, no information at the pilgrims office in Canfranc Estation. It's hard, because I spent 2 nights outside, crossing the Somport with the helpful Álvaros Videos. I think that a good number of other pilgrims will come after, in October. I'm very thankful for the work oall these volunteers and I understand that it was surely boring in the last two weeks, after the damages in the French side which blocked the pilgrims. But now its possible to pass, and the very important Albergue is closed, and in Gronze it's listed as open (today, 30. September).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suspect it wasn't a case that manning the albergue was boring for the hospitaleros!!! They are not the people who decide whether or not an albergue operates (though the operation of albergues depend on them).
Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That is certainly a shame for you after what sounds like a couple of days of outside living. It is unfortunate that the closure hasn't been publicised if that is the case, but I guess it's understandable that it is actually closed given the recent problems cutting off the route to pilgrims.

I hope you have managed to find some alternative accommodation and a warm shower which hopefully shouldn't be a problem for you on a Monday in Jaca.

I stayed in Villanúa in 2019 before the albergue in Canfranc pueblo had opened. Very comfortable, and also meant that I was able to get to the wonderful diocesan museum in Jaca an hour earlier the next day, before Sunday closing. Spectacular romanesque frescoes. This is St Luke's bull, having some problems holding his contribution to the gospels between cloven hooves.

DSC_0409-1.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a low budget pilgrim and there's no other option for me than to continue to sleep outside. Much too far until Jaca today. But my deception is not only about my personal situation. I don't understand, that the association that runs the albergue didn't give the information to Gronze and to the pilgrims office in Canfranc Estation. The albergues at the French side are open, and they recommend the albergue in Canfranc for sure. They also need to know about. It's sad that this five star Donativo Albergue is closed for so many months. There's no explanation at the door. Only a little paper that wishes a buen Camino.

Thats disappointing, was hoping to stay here next week!
Although @Flog did mention in another thread that it may be closing early this year.
Looks like 2 nights in Jaca then

My intention was not really to complain, but to give the information. And I also hope that someone of the US Association reads my posts and react by spreading the news to Gronze etc.
Excuse my bad English.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My intention was not really to complain, but to give the information. And I also hope that someone of the US Association reads my posts and react by spreading the news to Gronze etc.
Excuse my bad English.
The US Pilgrim's association has nothing to do with the donativo albergue in Canfranc and would therefore not be responsible for letting Gronze know about the early closure. The albergue is run by FICS and our forum member @Rebekah Scott is the coordinator of volunteer hospitaler@s for the albergue. Maybe she can shed some light on the situation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Today I am really surprised and shocked (I posted an comment at Gronze), that the Albergue in Canfranc is closed one month before the official date. No warning in Gronze, no information at the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back