• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

After Santiago, Porto?

VeganCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Frances from Saint Jean Pied du Port to Burgos, starting in June.
Hello friends. I'm thinking about walking to Porto after Santiago if the weather is nice and my feet and low back are up for it.

I'm curious if anyone else has walked in "reverse" and how easy/difficult that was to go against the flow of other pilgrims. I know that people walk to Fatima, so maybe not as hard to walk South from Santiago into Porto as it would be to walk the Frances in reverse.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Santiago to Porto is one of the easiest routes to walk in reverse. It is even signposted with painted arrows in the correct direction. Just follow the blue arrows.

That's because Santiago to Porto is on the way to Fatima, as you note.

A big difference is likely to be in the constantly changing community of fellow pilgrims. On the way to Santiago, you tend to find yourself in a cohort of pilgrims, seeing the same pilgrims multiple times. When the mass of pilgrims is walking in the opposite direction it is "once and done".

When the mass of pilgrims is walking in the opposite direction it is "once and done".
One of my regrets about cycling a Camino was that I never met the same pilgrims more than once. For me, regardless of the specific Camino, the camaraderie that develops by interacting with people multiple times is an important reason to walk and certainly one of the reasons why I have now returned to Spain and Portugal multiple times. However, we all walk for different reasons.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked from Porto to Santiago finishing on Wednesday and we were surprised by how many were walking in reverse. This was probably most evident in Portugal. You may still find that community feel. The blue arrows were very clear.

Santiago to Porto is one of the easiest routes to walk in reverse. It is even signposted with painted arrows in the correct direction. Just follow the blue arrows.

That's because Santiago to Porto is on the way to Fatima, as you note.

A big difference is likely to be in the constantly changing community of fellow pilgrims. On the way to Santiago, you tend to find yourself in a cohort of pilgrims, seeing the same pilgrims multiple times. When the mass of pilgrims is walking in the opposite direction it is "once and done".
Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

Stopped in at a Starbucks in Vancouver today. I don’t care for Starbucks but was with a friend who likes it. A latte or similar at Starbucks costs around €4. That’s a typical price for any coffee...
Hi everyone, I leave for my Camino in a few short weeks and am trying to figure out what the washing machine situation is. I will be traveling on the CP from Porto and hoping to take the coastal...
A Stolperstein is a ten-centimetre (3.9 in) concrete cube bearing a brass plate inscribed with the name and life dates of victims of Nazi extermination or persecution. Literally, it means...
The affect of a church on each of us is highly subjective and possibly based on many considerations, including; location, architecture, a particular statue, perhaps a memory inspired by an art...
76 year old male looking to do another Camino around April 2025. Completed CF from SJPP in 2022 and Portuguese from Porto earlier this year. I’ve looked at del Norte, but wanted to keep days...
Dear Forum Members, I’m reaching out to invite those planning to walk the Camino de Santiago to participate in a research study aimed at exploring the effects of the Camino pilgrimage on health...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.