Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations

Corinne19

Time of past OR future Camino
El Camino via de la plata
Hi everyone,

Trying to book my accommodations during my trip to Compostel! Not sure to understand how to do it?

Do you have any tips, do you have the best links to boom my accommodations? How does it work?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone,

Trying to book my accommodations during my trip to Compostel! Not sure to understand how to do it?

Do you have any tips, do you have the best links to boom my accommodations? How does it work?

Booking accommodation in advance is a hotly debated topic. Some want certainty, others want flexibility.

I would suggest you go here first: www.gronze.com and be prepared to communicate by WhatsApp in Spanish. Use a translation app. The ‘online click-to-book’ options are a fraction of the available places

(I would actually suggest you do something really old-fashioned and unfamiliar to pretty much anyone aged under 30; and that’s to buy a traditional paper guidebook and read it carefully. It will answer all of your current questions, and most of those you haven’t thought of yet. I know that sounds really boring and very last-century; but believe me it’ll work)

Have you decided which direction you’ll be walking yet? That will help with providing advice. What sort of accommodation are you seeking? Tent, park bench, Albergue, Hotel?
https://www.gronze.com/ Is an excellent source of information on available accommodation on most of the Camino routes.

@henrythedog has typed faster than me this time 😉 Enjoy your journey

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As @henrythedog said, which Camino route, and also which season you will be walking can make a big difference.

There are times (late April, early May and early September) that I recommend people to reserve their first few days on the Camino Francés if they are starting from St Jean Pied de Port because those are the most popular weeks. Most any other time of the year one can walk and just show up in town and reasonably expect to find accommodation of some sort on the Francés. But, on routes that see fewer pilgrims and have a less robust pilgrim infrastructure it can be necessary to check in advance if there's someplace open in the town you want to stop in. There is no "one size fits all" advice to give.

I see you are walking the Via de la Plata or at least that is where you posted. There's a few good online guides and book guides. @geraldkelly has an excellent guide. We have a hard copy and it is available online after you purchase the book.

I don't like to book ahead, but some places on these more remote Caminos will want you to call or WhatsApp a day or two ahead (not months ahead from home). On the Via de la Plata there are fewer options for stops than some of the more traveled Caminos so keep that in mind as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Unfortunately yesterday (06.09.24) my girlfriend lost her beloved sunglasses, somewhere between Rionegro del Punta and Mombuey. Please keep an eye for them, gracias!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back