• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A personal objective. Help needed.

andonius

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, Portugues, Norte, Primitivo, Aragones, Baztan, Sanabres, Finisterre
I consider myself an objective oriented man.
The first time I finished the Camino de Santiago in 2010 (when I was 51), and obtained the long-awaited Compostela (as you can see I am also a man of diplomas…) I set my personal goal of reaching the next Holy Year, which was in 2021, having obtained at least 20 compostelas.
For me it is easier than for most of you, my pilgrim brothers and sisters. I am Spanish and I live in Madrid. The Way is just a stone's throw from my house and any starting point is just a few hours away by train..
When 2021 ended, on the wall of my house there were 22 well achieved Compostelas (despite the damn pandemic and my wife’s claim that I was occupying the whole wall).
Objective accomplished, although the Compostelas are obviously the least of the benefits that I have obtained in all my Caminos. I believe that repeatedly doing the Camino has been my greatest source of personal and spiritual growth in these years, so I thank God for putting the Camino in the way of my life.
I have traveled the Caminos de Santiago in the North of Spain several times: French, Northern, Primitive, Aragonese, Baztán, Winter, English, Portuguese...
I have also arrived a few times to Finisterre and Muxia,,,,
And I am looking for a new goal, although I do not plan to stop walking sections of the Camino de Santiago at all. The Way gives me life and my life is richer when I'm on The Way
Reading and reading, I have discovered that it is considered (at least by spaniards, I guess) that the Five Holiest Shrines of Christianity are Jerusalem (for obvious reasons), Rome (also obvious reasons), Santiago de Compostela (Who will argue?...at least in this wonderful Forum); Santo Toribio de Liebana (a small sanctuary on a branch of the Camino del Norte in Cantabria where the largest piece of the Cross of Christ discovered by Saint Helena in the Ivth century is venerated) and Caravaca de la Cruz (in the region of Murcia, also in Spain, where it is also venerated a smaller piece of the Cross of Christ ).
So I have decided that my next pilgrim goal is to make a pilgrimage on foot to those five shrines.
At first it didn't seem very complicated. Santiago is already achieved.
In December 2023 I did the Camino de la Cruz to Caravaca. An easy way, along an old railway converted into a path and therefore flat and well-equipped, with very varied and beautiful landscape, including an unexpected desert.
In April of this year I walked the Camino to Santo Toribio de Liebana, starting in Santander (Camino del Norte). Although short, it is one of the most beautiful Caminos I have done with an incredible walk along a savage river course and a couple of magnificent mountain stages along wonderful trails and high mountain landscape.
So I have now Rome and Jerusalem left.
Rome is simple. The Via Francigena is perfect for this and I only have to decide when and from where.
But…Jerusalem is something else. Unfortunately, I think we will all agree that this is not the best time to make a walking pilgrimage to Jerusalem. I have been looking at websites and blogs and I don't see that it is very feasible at the moment. I have composed tentative itineraries, I have read the books of the pilgrims who have done it (On the Jerusalem Way is fantastic) and I am informing myself as best I can.
Unlike the rest of my pilgrimages, which I prefer to do alone, I think this is best done with an organized group to reduce possible problems.
Maybe it can't be this year, but as I'm already 65 years old, I don't want to delay it too long...

And here comes, after this long ramble, my question to my fellow pilgrims.

Do you know or have information about any organization or group that organizes walking pilgrimages through Israel to Jerusalem?

Any clue or information that helps me find a way to enter Jerusalem with my hiking shoes and backpack will be welcome.

Buen Camino to you all.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Absolutely you can walk into Jerusalem. The Jerusalem Way has mapped out an entire route in stages from Europe, although currently some of the border crossings are closed. I don't know if the Jordanian Border is closed, but whether or not your can cross from Jordan, there is a path to Jerusalem from the border. See here: https://www.jerusalemway.org/en/route/stages-holy-land/

I also believe that people walk from Jaffa to Jerusalem and into the walled city through the Jaffa Gate. I'm not sure of the route or what services/towns are available along the way. https://www.holy-landpilgrimage.com/from-jaffa-to-jerusalem See, also, https://www.israel21c.org/new-pilgrimage-route-revives-ancient-path-from-jaffa-to-jerusalem/ and https://aleteia.org/2023/03/01/after-centuries-the-way-to-jerusalem-makes-a-comeback/

This is a great site about hikes, including multi-day hikes, in Israel; the person who runs it I'm sure could help. https://www.hike-israel.com/

Last edited:
Thank you. ShoshTrvls, Great information.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello @andonius
Very interesting.
I had hoped to get to Jerusalem in 2020 but the coming of the pandemic and some more domestic complications have interrupted that. And now I am 70.

I walked from Canterbury to Rome then to Brinidisi and eventually Santa Maria di Leuca.

As you say the exact route you can take after that is not always clear.

Even just about within the past 10 years people walked though Syria and Lebanon but that is out of the question at the moment.

I continue as I always have done, walking alone - and always happy to meet people along the way.

I took ferry from Bari to Dürres in Albania and walked from there to Thessaloniki, passing through North Macedonia. That route is well described. See https://www.viaegnatiafoundation.eu/

I don't think you would find it difficult with your past experience and it is really very interesting.

My plan was to continue on to Istambul then across Turkey to the Mediterranean - I have learned Turkish in preparation for this.

But I am metaphorically still lin Thessaloniki.

After that my plan was, probably, to get a boat to Cyprus and cross it, and then, pragmatically, to get a plane to Jordan and walk in from there. Other people in recent years have walked down through Greece instead of Turkey and eventually generally have decided to fly to Jordan or Tel Aviv and walk from there.
Although Israel is problematic at the moment, life does go on and a friend of mine was there for a month recetnly and benefited from the almost complete lack of tourists.

Nothing along the way as far as I have got made me feel the need for an organised tour. But I can see that there would be an attraction in Israel.

I would just put in a word for another walk you might find good, the Camino Ignaciano from Loyola to Manresa. I did it last year and it is a very infteresting and very contemplative path with very good infrastructure and few pilgrims. https://caminoignaciano.org/en/the-ignatian-way/

I am still inclined to continue on to Istanbul and then across Turkey, If I get that far I will reassess!

Interested at your mention of Camino to Santo Toribio de Liebana. I think that is the same as the Lebaniego? I have heard very enthusiastic reports from a few people who have done that.

Buen Camino, Tim

Last edited:
I took a ferry from Cyprus once and went over the Allenby bridge the second time. I don't know if the ferry from Cyprus still runs, but if so I'd take it. The Allenby is not a good idea now, not is any land entry into Israel. Lots of flights though.

It's so much worth it. Jerusalem is a stunning place, more powerful even than Rome or Santiago. The Al-Aqsa mosque has even more presence than the wonderful Christian and Jewish sites. Travel in Israel is safe at the moment. Buen Camino ☘️

I consider myself an objective oriented man.
The first time I finished the Camino de Santiago in 2010 (when I was 51), and obtained the long-awaited Compostela (as you can see I am also a man of diplomas…) I set my personal goal of reaching the next Holy Year, which was in 2021, having obtained at least 20 compostelas.
For me it is easier than for most of you, my pilgrim brothers and sisters. I am Spanish and I live in Madrid. The Way is just a stone's throw from my house and any starting point is just a few hours away by train..
When 2021 ended, on the wall of my house there were 22 well achieved Compostelas (despite the damn pandemic and my wife’s claim that I was occupying the whole wall).
Objective accomplished, although the Compostelas are obviously the least of the benefits that I have obtained in all my Caminos. I believe that repeatedly doing the Camino has been my greatest source of personal and spiritual growth in these years, so I thank God for putting the Camino in the way of my life.
I have traveled the Caminos de Santiago in the North of Spain several times: French, Northern, Primitive, Aragonese, Baztán, Winter, English, Portuguese...
I have also arrived a few times to Finisterre and Muxia,,,,
And I am looking for a new goal, although I do not plan to stop walking sections of the Camino de Santiago at all. The Way gives me life and my life is richer when I'm on The Way
Reading and reading, I have discovered that it is considered (at least by spaniards, I guess) that the Five Holiest Shrines of Christianity are Jerusalem (for obvious reasons), Rome (also obvious reasons), Santiago de Compostela (Who will argue?...at least in this wonderful Forum); Santo Toribio de Liebana (a small sanctuary on a branch of the Camino del Norte in Cantabria where the largest piece of the Cross of Christ discovered by Saint Helena in the Ivth century is venerated) and Caravaca de la Cruz (in the region of Murcia, also in Spain, where it is also venerated a smaller piece of the Cross of Christ ).
So I have decided that my next pilgrim goal is to make a pilgrimage on foot to those five shrines.
At first it didn't seem very complicated. Santiago is already achieved.
In December 2023 I did the Camino de la Cruz to Caravaca. An easy way, along an old railway converted into a path and therefore flat and well-equipped, with very varied and beautiful landscape, including an unexpected desert.
In April of this year I walked the Camino to Santo Toribio de Liebana, starting in Santander (Camino del Norte). Although short, it is one of the most beautiful Caminos I have done with an incredible walk along a savage river course and a couple of magnificent mountain stages along wonderful trails and high mountain landscape.
So I have now Rome and Jerusalem left.
Rome is simple. The Via Francigena is perfect for this and I only have to decide when and from where.
But…Jerusalem is something else. Unfortunately, I think we will all agree that this is not the best time to make a walking pilgrimage to Jerusalem. I have been looking at websites and blogs and I don't see that it is very feasible at the moment. I have composed tentative itineraries, I have read the books of the pilgrims who have done it (On the Jerusalem Way is fantastic) and I am informing myself as best I can.
Unlike the rest of my pilgrimages, which I prefer to do alone, I think this is best done with an organized group to reduce possible problems.
Maybe it can't be this year, but as I'm already 65 years old, I don't want to delay it too long...

And here comes, after this long ramble, my question to my fellow pilgrims.

Do you know or have information about any organization or group that organizes walking pilgrimages through Israel to Jerusalem?

Any clue or information that helps me find a way to enter Jerusalem with my hiking shoes and backpack will be welcome.

Buen Camino to you all.
I have a complete plan (with hotels) for part of 2 different Caminos that I made until ROME.
The Francigena which goes until Rome and then, to Santa Maria di Leuca and the Via di Francesco which also leads you to Rome. I agree it's not the best time to move further than SML.
From Rome, you can keep walking the Francigena.
I walked from Luca to Rome in 19 days (Francigena) and from Bibbiena (Which passes through the amazing Santuario di La Verna) to Rome in 14 days.
If you want the plans with the hotels just let me know.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took a ferry from Cyprus once and went over the Allenby bridge the second time. I don't know if the ferry from Cyprus still runs, but if so I'd take it. The Allenby is not a good idea now, not is any land entry into Israel. Lots of flights though.

It's so much worth it. Jerusalem is a stunning place, more powerful even than Rome or Santiago. The Al-Aqsa mosque has even more presence than the wonderful Christian and Jewish sites. Travel in Israel is safe at the moment. Buen Camino ☘️
I made some enquiries about travelling from Cyprus to Israel by sea a couple of years ago which were not encouraging. No regular ferry.

There was the 'possibiity' of finding a cruise ship, but that seems highly unlikely now. And I guess would be expensive.

There was also discussion on people who "knew someone else" who had managed to get a lift on a freighter - but no very convincing evidence.

There was a contact for someone to help you organise this, but I cannot find it now.

There is a very interesting group in Brindisi, Gli Erranti - well worth calling in to visit if you reach Brindisi

They were associated with a trip by sailing ship from Brindisi to Israel a few years ago, but i think this was a one off.

and more details here. https://www.veleaperte.it/

Last edited:
Great thread, thanks to the OP for raising the subject.

Looks like a flight from Rhodes might be the closest, and of course the journey to Rhodes would be a fine one. I'm glad that nothing can stop a determined pilgrim ... and what a destination! Despite their differences, both communities there will be as one in welcoming the pilgrim. You walk for all of us amigo ☘️

Thank you to you all by your replies. Checking the webs and sites you detailed I'm now more confident that I can plan a pilgrimage to Jerusalem for next year.
Thanks again . That forum is really something great.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Of course I'll do, Timr.
And about your question on the Camino Lebaniego, ye, it is the same as El Camino to Santo Toribio de Liebana.
In fact you can arrive to Santo Toribio from different places in the Camino Frances or Del Norte. The one I did is the most usual. It departs from San Vicente de la Barquera in Camino del Norte and takes three/four days (depending on you) to arrive to Santo Toribio. Very beautiful and solitaire stages with mountain paths and river walks and over all incredible sights of the mountains. Not extremely difficult but demanding. I enjoyed it very much. One of the albergues (the one in Cabañes) is excelent and has a terrace with the most beautiful sights of the mountanious area you're in. Perfect to have a cold beer after the stage.
I recommend that Camino Lebaniego very much.

Could I respectfully recommend a summer hike in NORWAY. St Olav’s way from Oslo to Trondheim arriving on 29 July. Santiago is highly respected and features on the West front of the cathedral. Just fabulous!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.