Search 69,459 Camino Questions

a longer and slower day

starrysky

Time of past OR future Camino
april-june 2022
i did the French way a couple of years ago from Roncesvalles, right after covid. i’m elderly and very slow. i would like to return in 2025, to do it again while my body may still let me. last time, i did what i guess was the “usual” routine of walking until about 2pm then checking into an albergue to do laundry, check out the town etc, followed by a late pilgrim meal. i really had to push myself to do this but in retrospect it now seems unnecessary!

Next time, i’m thinking i’d like to walk until lunch time, have the bigger pilgrim meal of the day at lunch and then rest before siesta time, then walk throughout the afternoon/early evening to find a spot an an albergue later in the day- closer to maybe 5 or 6. that way i could walk at my slow pace and maybe cover the same distances without pushing myself so hard. yes i know it will be hotter in the afternoon.

otherwise, any comments re pros and cons from those who have followed this extended sort of later-in-the-day sort of walking schedule? i don’t make reservations anywhere, plan to stay in municipals or donativos.

last time, i walked from April to June. I’m thinking i’d like to start during the first week of April this next time. just curious about your experiences doing it that way - frankly i’ll probably just go ahead and see what that’s like, but it would be interesting to hear what anyone has to say about it! i’m hoping more churches might be open now and would like to spend more time in them etc…

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm still just a youngster (60) but I've done a few longer days at times, on the Primitivo in July last year I had no issues walking into a municipal at 5:30/6.00 p.m. and getting a bed. I quite like walking later because there are far less (if any) people on the trail.

I appreciate the Frances might be different, others will need to chip in on that. But from everything I've read throughout the last two years whilst there seems to be a panic about bed availablity at times, more often than not somebody pipes up from a municipal to say "plenty of beds here". Because those panicking are those wanting to book (which you have clearly indicated you do not wish to do).

You have one major advantage next year in that Easter is not until the 20th of April. So you will have the bottle neck (Roncesvalles - Pamplona) behind you if you start early April before that 'wave' hit's.

You don't mention the daily distances you hope to make, just that you are very slow. Short days would give you more time to explore any churches that may be open.

You mention resting before continuing, whilst you could of course just sit in the cafe, it might be worth considering carrying some kind of mat to lie on. It doesn't have to be a full-on, full length sleep mat, just something to make yourself a little more comfortable. Nothing quite like a quick '20 winks' in the shade after a meal. (On the handful of times I've done it I've set the timer on my phone for 30 minutes - that way I don't oversleep but awake refreshed).

Buen Camino!

How one walks is a personal decision. Some strategies work better than other for given individuals. I think your idea at the end of your post is most reasonable. Give the new approach a try and see how it works. As you have given yourself about two months to complete the CF, you can easily modify your approach if it doesn’t seem to be working.

From experience, I would just make three points regarding your new approach. One, if you are walking into early evening, you might fine the albergues you prefer to be full. This might be less a problem in early April versus later in the month and during the very busy month of May. Two, my preference was always to stop early in the afternoon because it offered me more time to recharge for the next day’s walking. I found that when I cycled the VDLP that I would often ride until late afternoon. Stopping so late in the day and then accomplishing my needed chores didn’t give me the same relaxation time as when walking if I stopped around one in the afternoon. And finally, and you mention this above, as you get deeper into your Camino, you will more likely experience hotter afternoon temperatures. I’ve always tried to avoid walking during the hottest times of the day.

In any case, good luck. You will discover what works best for you. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm still just a youngster (60) but I've done a few longer days at times, on the Primitivo in July last year I had no issues walking into a municipal at 5:30/6.00 p.m. and getting a bed. I quite like walking later because there are far less (if any) people on the trail.

I appreciate the Frances might be different, others will need to chip in on that. But from everything I've read throughout the last two years whilst there seems to be a panic about bed availablity at times, more often than not somebody pipes up from a municipal to say "plenty of beds here". Because those panicking are those wanting to book (which you have clearly indicated you do not wish to do).

You have one major advantage next year in that Easter is not until the 20th of April. So you will have the bottle neck (Roncesvalles - Pamplona) behind you if you start early April before that 'wave' hit's.

You don't mention the daily distances you hope to make, just that you are very slow. Short days would give you more time to explore any churches that may be open.

You mention resting before continuing, whilst you could of course just sit in the cafe, it might be worth considering carrying some kind of mat to lie on. It doesn't have to be a full-on, full length sleep mat, just something to make yourself a little more comfortable. Nothing quite like a quick '20 winks' in the shade after a meal. (On the handful of times I've done it I've set the timer on my phone for 30 minutes - that way I don't oversleep but awake refreshed).

Buen Camino!
great idea on the mat! yes! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Buen Camino!
distances would be as necessary- last time was 15-25K more or less

otherwise, any comments re pros and cons from those who have followed this extended sort of later-in-the-day sort of walking schedule? i don’t make reservations anywhere, plan to stay in municipals or donativos.
I was often a late arrival. I walked the frances April 4 to May 15, 2024 starting in SJPP. For various reasons, I am slow and usually got to my destination late afternoon. I made reservations usually, but often not. It worked except I was almost always in a top bunk.

The Municipals always had beds. I was worried about not getting a bed a lot, but it worked out every time.

EDIT: sometimes, especially the first week, if I hadn't had a reservation, I would've had to go to a different town. I observed people having to do this. You might have to book that first part between SJPP and Pamplona.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Next time, i’m thinking i’d like to walk until lunch time, have the bigger pilgrim meal of the day at lunch and then rest before siesta time, then walk throughout the afternoon/early evening to find a spot an an albergue later in the day- closer to maybe 5 or 6. that way i could walk at my slow pace and maybe cover the same distances without pushing myself so hard. yes i know it will be hotter in the afternoon.
This is what I do. I love long leisurely lunches, just taking my time. The afternoons are great as there are very few others walking then. But as mentioned above, you will probably get a top bunk every time, being one of the last to arrive.

i did the French way a couple of years ago from Roncesvalles, right after covid. i’m elderly and very slow. i would like to return in 2025, to do it again while my body may still let me. last time, i did what i guess was the “usual” routine of walking until about 2pm then checking into an albergue to do laundry, check out the town etc, followed by a late pilgrim meal. i really had to push myself to do this but in retrospect it now seems unnecessary!

last time, i walked from April to June. I’m thinking i’d like to start during the first week of April this next time. just curious about your experiences doing it that way - frankly i’ll probably just go ahead and see what that’s like, but it would be interesting to hear what anyone has to say about it! i’m hoping more churches might be open now and would like to spend more time in them etc…
I am a very slow walker. Painfully slow. I start early and finish late. Yes I like to take long lunches, a bit of a ‘bar crawl’ in the afternoon/early evening, and walk through into the evening. I rarely stop to rest, more to eat and drink. I normally get to my destination at about 7pm. The Camino is a totally different beast from about 3pm. Nice and quiet. Guess a bit like comparing rush hour to non rush hour.

Only tricky part is accommodation but that can be mitigated for the most part by booking ahead, though that less likely if you are not at private albergues. Too bunk more likely though!

For reference I walked the CF in 26 days, with one rest day (which I ended doing 20km + on walking around Leon).

Here are my thoughts, for what it is worth.

Consider that the Spanish lunch, the bigger meal of the day (comida), starts at 1:30 or 2:00. Which is closer to when you would have finished last time. Are you thinking you will start later, walk slower, walk further, or some combination of the three?

Let's assume that you walk until 1:30, stop for an hour lunch and a half hour rest, resuming your walk at about 3.

The primary "pro" is that this schedule works best for you, fits your pace and how you would like to walk. The primary "con" is that arriving at 5 pm without a reservation carries a real risk that you will not find a place to sleep, especially as you get into later April and May. This can be mitigated somewhat by staying "off-stage", but that will require forethought and planning, because if you do so there won't be as much infrastructure (shops, banks, pharmacies, etc.) where you are stopping for the day. Another "con", that may become more apparent as your Camino proceeds is that the second round of walking will be in the hottest part of the day.

How the pros and cons balance out is up to you to decide.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is getting your washing dry given you wouldn’t do it until 6pm or later. But some Albergues do have dryers so maybe you could use those?

I can see the appeal of what you propose. There’s no harm in trying it, as you say.
. Last time I did laundry just about every day, which I also now feel is unnecessary. Next time I'm planning to just wear a wool top that doesnt smell after long use. It's easy enough to rinse out a pair of underwear as needed! I'm thinking of trying to go 4-5 days and then just use a laundromat in a bigger town! I'm also going to go from a 28 L pack down to an 18 L pack, We shall see!

btw I am slow because I am 5 feet tall and have short legs and even if I walk at the same pace as everyone else, starting side-by-side, they end up years ahead of me!

Well, I hope I can do it and will report from the way how things go with the new modus operandii! Thank you so much for all your input!

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Th
. Last time I did laundry just about every day, which I also now feel is unnecessary. Next time I'm planning to just wear a wool top that doesnt smell after long use. It's easy enough to rinse out a pair of underwear as needed! I'm thinking of trying to go 4-5 days and then just use a laundromat in a bigger town! I'm also going to go from a 28 L pack down to an 18 L pack, We shall see!

btw I am slow because I am 5 feet tall and have short legs and even if I walk at the same pace as everyone else, starting side-by-side, they end up years ahead of me!

Well, I hope I can do it and will report from the way how things go with the new modus operandii! Thank you so much for all your input!
This question may work here or not, mods I can start a new thread, not what is your and other folks definition of slow, ballpark in KM per hour.

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
I see absolutely no point in getting to an albergue by 2pm so I can get my shirt and knickers dry before I leave next morning. I don’t rush to the next albergue so I can do my laundry.
yes! so what did you do and how did it turn out?

Hello and I will agree with statements about you walk your Camino on your own pace and however you like it
I will reiterate the "con" points brought up here because I actually thought of exactly the same thing

• 1. Arriving a albergue late to find there are no beds. All the arguments "against" THAT are valid but... life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans. Even if probability is 10% nobody can guarantee you that you won.t fall into that 10%
  • 2. The top bunk. Any time I showed up in albergue past 5PM it was a given that a top bunk I had. Pushing 63 while on Frances (I turned 63 on Camino Finisterre) I was not looking forward climbing up and down, esp. if a trip was necessary in the middle of the night.
  • 3. Laundry - while I agree that one should not "run" to do their laundry the fact remains that we rely on the nature to do our drying. Those couple of days when somehow my clothes were still damp in the morning were not truly the jolly days walking. Not all albergues have dryers, if anything more don't than do plus now you are increasing your overall budget.
  • 4. And of course lets not forget the weather. If it happens to rain for 20 days straight with no sun in sight - I dont see it any fun walking wet, trying to take siesta ...where?... under the shady tree? (I take it you are not sleeping in the bar on the table or at the counter nor are you getting a room anywhere for the 1-2 hour 'nap').

I by nature am an early bird. I always got up early. if I ever wake up at 10:00am I will have a horrible headache so it just does not work for me.
Hence I WILL (and did) start walking around 6-6:30am and will take my 1.5-2 hours break with meal included and arrive at my albergue-du-nuit by 2:00-2:30PM. I can leisurely take my shower, do any laundry I desire and have a siesta until I am ready to go and eat (say 7pm). I'm well rested, relaxed, clean and happy Pilgrim (and don't have a top bunk)

But.... if you are convinced to do it your way - by all means I hope it works for you and do wish you a Buen Camino !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello and I will agree with statements about you walk your Camino on your own pace and however you like it
I will reiterate the "con" points brought up here because I actually thought of exactly the same thing

• 1. Arriving a albergue late to find there are no beds. All the arguments "against" THAT are valid but... life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans. Even if probability is 10% nobody can guarantee you that you won.t fall into that 10%
  • 2. The top bunk. Any time I showed up in albergue past 5PM it was a given that a top bunk I had. Pushing 63 while on Frances (I turned 63 on Camino Finisterre) I was not looking forward climbing up and down, esp. if a trip was necessary in the middle of the night.
  • 3. Laundry - while I agree that one should not "run" to do their laundry the fact remains that we rely on the nature to do our drying. Those couple of days when somehow my clothes were still damp in the morning were not truly the jolly days walking. Not all albergues have dryers, if anything more don't than do plus now you are increasing your overall budget.
  • 4. And of course lets not forget the weather. If it happens to rain for 20 days straight with no sun in sight - I dont see it any fun walking wet, trying to take siesta ...where?... under the shady tree? (I take it you are not sleeping in the bar on the table or at the counter nor are you getting a room anywhere for the 1-2 hour 'nap').

I by nature am an early bird. I always got up early. if I ever wake up at 10:00am I will have a horrible headache so it just does not work for me.
Hence I WILL (and did) start walking around 6-6:30am and will take my 1.5-2 hours break with meal included and arrive at my albergue-du-nuit by 2:00-2:30PM. I can leisurely take my shower, do any laundry I desire and have a siesta until I am ready to go and eat (say 7pm). I'm well rested, relaxed, clean and happy Pilgrim (and don't have a top bunk)

But.... if you are convinced to do it your way - by all means I hope it works for you and do wish you a Buen Camino !
everything is flexible - i was just trying to learn of other’s experience doing it the way i proposed. i will most certainly adapt to the circumstances! :)

Happily we are all happy in whichever routine we each adopt on the camino.

I'm not one of the early risers, preferring to let the others get up and away first. I'll have breakfast before I set off as well.

A slow amble, cafe con leche, and if there is a menu del dia on offer will stop for that.

Have never had a problem drying hiking top and undies overnight. I don't wear them next day anyway as I'm wearing my other set. If still damp will attach them to the outside of my pack.

If you don't mind top bunks every night then you'll enjoy walking late afternoons. One evening another peregrina and I were the last to arrive and it was full - so they opened the overflow room, which we had to ourselves complete with own bathroom!

Yes, there are pros and cons, but you'll figure your way around them and work out which routine suits you best. Doubtful if all the albergues will be full in April. Have fun!

We stayed in Opedrouzo last night. At about 730 a pilgrim walked up and there was one bed left. We we told there were available beds in other places in town. Lots of pilgrims this night. But I think if you just need a bed somewhere you can be super flexible. We walked through some villages a couple of weeks ago that had few resources but I still feel like on the Frances you’re okay. The night we walked into Roncesvalles, I heard it filled up. We stayed in the hotel so weren’t affected. BTW, nice hotel. Recommend!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Except for the big lunch and long nap, your plan is similar to my habits. I have done CF 4x starting late April to 3rd week May. I generally start walking 0630-0730 because I like daylight. I generally stop 1500-1900; just depends how I feel, vibes of the town, etc. Always found a bed. In fact this last May between Sarria and Santiago, I walked into albergues late in the day 3x in a row with no reservations to get whole dorm rooms to myself--so much for crowds😆. Personally I have found that taking the big pilgrim meal mid day, combined with afternoon sun, just makes me very slow and sluggish (especially if drinking the whole bottle of wine), and not so much fun walking. I almost always have some kind of small breakfast near departure and 2 more before noon. Then 1 or 2 lunches and 1 or 2 drink breaks. I usually do laundry right after checking into albergue, but nothing magic about this. Sometimes I do laundry enroute and hang it from my pack to dry. I do laundry every day. Just because it does not stink does not mean it is not filthy; especially socks and skivvies. If laundry is a little damp in the morning, no big deal. It will get wetter than that due to sweat or rain sometime during the day. Put vaseline on potential chafe areas.

I do like the big Pilgrim meal at days end with the other Pilgrims.

This last April/May, there seemed to be more churches than usual open, and many had attendants outside to get Pilgrims' attention that they were encouraging visitors. Perhaps this will even increase next year.

Hi just a question about the Municipals and Donativos. I'm walking next year mid April from Sarria, I'll be 75 and it will be the biggest hike I've ever done so not planning on 'rushing'. I've booked half my trip but having trouble with a few places so are there Municipals and Donativos everywhere or only in certain places. I have looked at Google maps which has been pretty good but there are some places that show no accommodation at all. Thanks in advance

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello and welcome to Forum
Look at Gronze.com - they have the most up-to-date info
It is in Spanish but easily translated via GoogleTranslate

You can also use one of the Apps - BuenCmino, WisePilgrim, CaminoNinja - the information is there as well

At 75 I would respectfully suggest to book as many as you can and as such Municipals and Donativos dont take reservations. any other you may find - contact them direct perhaps 2-3 out via email or WhatsApp (even if say booking.com has "no availability)
Good Luck and Buen Camino

You can also use one of the Apps - BuenCmino, WisePilgrim, CaminoNinja - the information is there as well

At 75 I would respectfully suggest to book as many as you can and as such Municipals and Donativos dont take reservations. any other you may find - contact them direct perhaps 2-3 out via email or WhatsApp (even if say booking.com has "no availability)
Beware WisePilgrim. They said many munipals and other albergues "Appeared" closed, but many were not!!

Thank you and at 75 while for I totally agree. 😁 I have booked most but Portomarin, Gonza and Ligonda don't take bookings so fingers crossed for those. I'll try those websites for luggage transfers, thanks again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you and at 75 while for I totally agree. 😁 I have booked most but Portomarin, Gonza and Ligonda don't take bookings so fingers crossed for those. I'll try those websites for luggage transfers, thanks again.
Try Castromaior only 1.2km after Gonzar. I stayed at Casa Maruja very nice quaint place w private rooms
I then moved to San Xulian do Camino on the next stage

We stayed in Opedrouzo last night. At about 730 a pilgrim walked up and there was one bed left. We we told there were available beds in other places in town. Lots of pilgrims this night. But I think if you just need a bed somewhere you can be super flexible. We walked through some villages a couple of weeks ago that had few resources but I still feel like on the Frances you’re okay. The night we walked into Roncesvalles, I heard it filled up. We stayed in the hotel so weren’t affected. BTW, nice hotel. Recommend!
Regarding accommodations, latter in the day, beds may be more difficult to find in certain areas. Availability is limited due to bottlenecking, depending upon the season, holidays (April 20th is Easter), including holy week and Easter week, town festivals and whether there are groups are walking at the same time.
So I suggest, definitely making reservations from SJPdP to Pamplona. If you are, indeed walking during Easter Holidays, there will be swarms of school groups booking ahead into cheap accommodations which could make beds a challenge. Lastly May 1st day, and it’s weekend, can be a real challenge finding spots between Rabanal delCamino and OCebreiro. Between many folks who started the CF in France in April, starters coming from Leon, and vacationers in the region near Portomarin, beds are quite tight!
So maybe you might monitor availability ahead at certain points of your walk. It goes without saying, from Sarria onward to do the same.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- I will be finishing up the Via Podiensis in a few days and then starting on the Frances from SJPDP. Is there any reason for me to visit the pilgrim office (and probably wait on a long line)...
I am an Old School Pilgrim, too set in my ways, I can understand and accept the Cell Phone priorities sweeping today's Pilgrim community back in the good old bad days coin-fed albergue computers...
I arrived on the Francés yesterday in Estella. Stayed in the Albergue Curtadores on the entry to town. Few pilgrims for a big albergue. And tonight I’m by myself at the one-of-a-kind Casa Tiago in...
I passed through Nájera today. To quote John Lennon, “ I just had to look”. As you probably know, the red sandstone cliffs run right alongside the houses. Definitely unusual. These red beds...
i did the French way a couple of years ago from Roncesvalles, right after covid. i’m elderly and very slow. i would like to return in 2025, to do it again while my body may still let me. last...
Hello from Roncesvalles! My husband and I made it safely through the fog to the monastery from Borda this morning. Now looking forward to our next accommodations. Please note: There are lots of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back