Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert A flasher on the Camino del Norte

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago

paakaminska

Time of past OR future Camino
2016-2024
A flasher and a white van are back, on the Camino del Norte! It's hard to tell whether it's the same person.

I know of three different pilgrims who encountered him directly on the Camino. He was making an inappropriate eye contact with each of them, using gestures to invite them into his van. The pilgrims said he was creepy and the vibe was off, so they ignored him and walked around. One local man was even warning pilgrims by shouting that around the corner there's a "rapist".

One pilgrim witnessed the suspicious man having sex with a woman right next to his van and directly on the Camino. But he said that the act, even though it was taking place in public, seemed consensual.

One of the locations was Veriña station, somewhere near a viaduct/bridge. And the other one, was right next to the iconic bench known as BanPe Soto de Luiña (https://maps.app.goo.gl/1pseMqqqT5QS6pgB6).

Police was not informed.

PXL-20240628-152034096.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
(I moved this thread from an older thread reporting about an incident on the Via de la Plata, but forgot to change the title. Now it is updated.)

That is unfortunate. It is impossible for them to take action if no one tells them about these incidents.
Yes, I found out about all three incidents a day or two later, and only when I connected the dots and read about the white van flasher on this forum I took it seriously. I think pilgrims don't take their thoughts on such incidents too seriously, don't want to be a burden by overreacting or just don't feel entitled enough as visitors to someone's country...

Yes, I found out about all three incidents a day or two later, and only when I connected the dots and read about the white van flasher on this forum I took it seriously. I think pilgrims don't take their thoughts on such incidents too seriously, don't want to be a burden by overreacting or just don't feel entitled enough as visitors to someone's country...
I have read enough of these threads to know that for many women this is a very unnerving event that leaves them feeling shaken and disgusted. That has been my experience at least 7 or 8 time when it has happened to me. If there are women who don’t take this “too seriously,” as you say (and if I understand what you mean), they should still be encouraged to report, if only for the benefit of other women who will be badly shaken up and who might be saved the trauma if the perp is found.

The Spanish police take these reports very seriously and will treat any report professionally, whether it is a “visitor” or a “local”. With the details that seem to have been collected about this individual, the police might have been able to locate him. The Spanish police put a lot of resources and efforts into keeping the Camino safe, and you can be sure that they want to hear from victims of this kind of disgusting behavior.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have read enough of these threads to know that for many women this is a very unnerving event that leaves them feeling shaken and disgusted. That has been my experience at least 7 or 8 time when it has happened to me. If there are women who don’t take this “too seriously,” as you say (and if I understand what you mean), they should still be encouraged to report, if only for the benefit of other women who will be badly shaken up and who might be saved the trauma if the perp is found.

The Spanish police take these reports very seriously and will treat any report professionally, whether it is a “visitor” or a “local”. With the details that seem to have been collected about this individual, the police might have been able to locate him. The Spanish police put a lot of resources and efforts into keeping the Camino safe, and you can be sure that they want to hear from victims of this kind of disgusting behavior.
Agreed. I experienced this on the Frances (on the Meseta) and reported to the police after I got to a safe place. With all the identifying details of these incidents you listed here, it would have been helpful for others had it been reported to the police. It really can shake a woman up encountering this, especially if she's walking alone at the time.

All pilgrims walking in Spain should have installed the "Alert Cops" app to their smartphones. This allows near immediate contact with law enforcement authorities. They will assist you in English, and your device can be immediately geo-located for a response to be sent.

Failing this, call 112 from any phone and you will be connected to a nearby police station. If they answer in Spanish and you do not speak Spanish, say: "Necesito ayuda en Ingles, por favor." (I need help in English please.) They will find someone to help you.

This said, be aware that, in Spain (don't now about Portugal or France) a "flasher" or "exhibitionist" is committing a misdemeanor. The police have to catch the person in the act, then can issue a summons. Eventually, a judge may issue a fine. I do not know if the statement of one or more witnesses is enough to issue a summons. If someone else knows, please jump in.

Under the Spanish legal code, for a felony - a serious crime - to have been committed, physical touching must have occurred. The touching need not be sexual. Any physical contact, especially if intended to prompt, encourage or solicit further activity, or to restrain someone against their will, is a serious crime.

The local law enforcement authorities WILL respond to reports of a physical attack. All touching should be reported as a physical attack.

In past cases of unwanted touching, where women have complained to the police, the victims have sometimes needed to change their Camino plans to testify at a local trail. Depending on the facts and the law, if there is no witness to testify, and a signed sworn statement is not adequate to prosecute, the perpetrator could go free. Just sayin...

Hope this helps,

Tom

A flasher and a white van are back, on the Camino del Norte! It's hard to tell whether it's the same person.

I know of three different pilgrims who encountered him directly on the Camino. He was making an inappropriate eye contact with each of them, using gestures to invite them into his van. The pilgrims said he was creepy and the vibe was off, so they ignored him and walked around. One local man was even warning pilgrims by shouting that around the corner there's a "rapist".

One pilgrim witnessed the suspicious man having sex with a woman right next to his van and directly on the Camino. But he said that the act, even though it was taking place in public, seemed consensual.

One of the locations was Veriña station, somewhere near a viaduct/bridge. And the other one, was right next to the iconic bench known as BanPe Soto de Luiña (https://maps.app.goo.gl/1pseMqqqT5QS6pgB6).

Police was not informed.

Thanks for sharing this updated information!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very distressing news. As a male pilgrim I had no problems on the Norte but I have walked parts of the path with my daughter and granddaughter. They and all women and girls should be free to walk unmolested. The police will take action if they are alerted to incidents

Police was not informed.

Gesturing for people to approach a van doesn’t really sound like ‘flashing’ (which is a man exposing his genitals on purpose). Though it could definitely make some people feel very uncomfortable. I wonder why the people talking about it didn’t report it to the police?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, nice to meet you all. I will be doing my first Camino in a few weeks, on the Camino Del Norte. I only have 10 days and plan to experience a bit of the coast line, reach an intermediate...
Hola, I'm in the early stages of planning my first Camino next April-May. Due to health issues, I cannot carry a heavy pack like I used to, so it's either use a luggage transfer service or not...
I am wondering if the Camino del Norte is the next one for me. I have walked the Portugues (more than once) and loved it. I am tempted to go back and walk it again. I have walked the Frances but...
Hello! I am planning my fist (half) Camino and will land to Santander October 9. I was leaning towards the Camino del Norte for the scenery but it seems from other posts that in October most...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.